Chinese smartphones

I have a Superb and a Chinese smartphone. Even though it meets the Bluetooth protocols, the car won't connect to it. Does anybody have a Chinese phone that does connect? 

Mine has an issue with WiFi as it keeps dropping connection and it also has a charging problem!!!! Will only charge when the phone is off?!

So need a phone, non contract so does anybody have one that does the job. Must be android as can't stand I phones.

Ta.

I have an Elephone P9000. My particular superb is still sitting at the dealer, waiting to be PDI'd, but I went up to visit it on Saturday and hooked the phone up without any issues. My wifes Moto-G also hooked up without any issues too.

I paid less than 200 quid for mine, from Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elephone-FDD-LTE-TDD-LTE-Smartphone-Android/dp/B01D1BE7XA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490045221&sr=8-3&keywords=elephone+p9000

I'm exceptionally pleased with it - far more so than the two nexus 5's I had prior to it, which both died with the same issue after less than a year apiece. No issues with it connecting to anything via either Bluetooth or WiFi. 

Trying to get back on track and get a serious answer. Are Cubot phones any good? Have to ditch mine soon. Charging really an issue now and I don't trust it. Otherwise Telephone does look a good option.

4 minutes ago, Kebab10 said:

Trying to get back on track and get a serious answer. Are Cubot phones any good? Have to ditch mine soon. Charging really an issue now and I don't trust it. Otherwise Telephone does look a good option.

Have you got the more recent Bluetooth module?  I had a 2009 Superb and it wouldn't connect to ANY modern smartphone, nor would my current 2012 model.  I had to buy a modern BT module for about £65; now EVERYTHING connects.

I wouldn't go with Cubot - they're more at the cheap and cheerful end.  I have an Elephone P8000 - it's a fantastic phone; weighs a ton - you can feel the quality.

8 minutes ago, Kebab10 said:

I have a Cubot X12 had it for over a year and it connects to anything, been a great phone and I have dropped it quite a lot, only cost about £40, quad core so its pretty quick, had an IPhone before and dropped it once and it was smashed to pieces, never again!

• Like 1

Can't argue with a 40 quid phone, that works!

As I said, my days of spending 300 - 500 quid on a phone simply to the loudspeaker fail after 11 months are long gone, so I still splurge a bit at 180 quid but I feel less upset if it craps out on me. As it happens, this P9000, other than the dreadful name, has been a happy experience. I've had no problems with it talking to my OBD2 device, any of my PC's, my linux laptop, my chromecast, the wireless BT speakers in the study, some no-name el-chepao hi-fi on holiday last year, the car, the new car or any other mates cars.

@kebab10, you're only down the road in Oxon - if you want to try my chinesium phone out on your car before you pull the trigger on a chinese smartphone, feel free to shout. Pretty sure we can come to a mutually convenient spot where you can make sure it talks to your car before dropping any cash on a similar bit of kit. Give me an excuse to take the wifes new car for a spin! :)

Thanks for the sensible replies. Not too concerned about connecting to blue in the car. If the phone rings, I simply don't answer it when driving. Its the WiFi that my present phone hates. It can connect but after a while drops the connection and sometimes needs a reboot to connect again. Shall be having a good long search this weekend at work on my laptop. A chap at work has an elephone I do believe or similar. 

Some of the Cubot phones don't have the right 4g channels for me so they are gone. So a bit of research to do

To be honest, it really depends on what kind of a spec you are looking for and what kind of price you are prepared to pay? Towards the budget end, the Motorola Moto G range is very good (though more expensive than it once was), and you could probably pick up a second hand one for very little money. But I think current king of the budget end is Huawei. I have their top of the range phone (which was much cheaper than comparable phones at the time), but look at their Honor or P8 / P9 Lite ranges. You get a lot of phone for little money, but it's built by a real company (not just a re-badged "grey" phone).

But ultimately it's very hard to recommend something specific without knowing your requirements. Start with screen size and RAM demands, and then work from there. But in general, the phones above are very good value for money and offer a lot of performance / features for their buck.

Thanks Declan. My field is narrowing and shall probably have made a decision by Monday. I have had Samsung, HTC and Nokia and on a Chinese android phone at the moment. Will cost too much to return to Singapore so need another. Seems to me the better Chinese ones are pretty good and have better specs. So, a bit f finger tapping to do. Thanks

9 hours ago, Kebab10 said:

Thanks Declan. My field is narrowing and shall probably have made a decision by Monday. I have had Samsung, HTC and Nokia and on a Chinese android phone at the moment. Will cost too much to return to Singapore so need another. Seems to me the better Chinese ones are pretty good and have better specs. So, a bit f finger tapping to do. Thanks

If you can stretch to it, the OnePlus3T is probably the ultimate "bang for buck" phone at the minute. Price-wise, it's in-between budget and high-end (otherwise known as mid-range!), but spec-wise it's very top end (6GB of RAM for feck's sake). You probably know already, but sites like Oppomart offer a lot of the high-end Chinese phones for delivery in the UK. The only thing I'd caution is to make sure all the menus etc. are in English. I know when I looked at Xiaomi before, some menus hadn't been translated, and my Mandarin isn't exactly good!

Let us know what you opt for in the end anyways. I might upgrade from my Huawei Mate 7 this summer, but more likely to leave it till next year.

Which Bluetooth module is it you have? If it's an early one then it'll be rSAP only and the phone may not support it. Lift the cover under the drivers seat to take a look at the part number.

I like the Moto G range. No nonsense but with the support of a big vendor. Not much bloat. 

I have an LG G4 and that works fine on both HFP and rSAP. Can be had new for around £250 now. 

Bluetooth for the car doesn't interest me. I don't use the phone while driving. I am after a phone that has 4g, at least 5.5" screen and connects to the wifi at home or work and stays connected. My present phone is always dropping wifi and the battery which is non removable is now failing. used to charge fine overnight but now after 8-9 charge is only 78% which is poor. Asked for help from the manufacturer but i might as well boil my teeth for all the help they have been!

Looking at Huawei, Elephone and a few others.

Don't want a contract phone, so must be sim free. The offerings on the high street are very poor so have to buy "off grid".

Still looking but will have one soon.

I have a number of phones that I go between. Normally I use the Huawei Nexus 6p. Great phone. It is slow to connect to bluetooth over BT in the skoda though. Normally, if you toggle the BT off/on it will connect straight away. Otherwise you need to wait a couple of min. Only an issue on the skoda though. All other BT equipment in my house and it connects instantly.

The Moto G5 plus is the latest phone I have. Very cheap and works a treat. Nice and fast.

I've also got an iphone 6 that I use from time to time, when I need a smallish phone. That probably works the best with the Skoda. My Motorola phones all work pretty well too.

The Huawei sounds the best when streaming audio once it finally decides to connect. That is important to me, since I only listen to streaming over BT. Google play music and audio books.

All and all though, the Chinese cell phones are pretty good nowadays. Most of the stuff coming out of China has improved massively over the last 5 years. Sure, they were copying a lot of stuff. Like the American's after WW2, they more or less ignored IP law. But, they are also inventing stuff now.