Sports Back Box

Has anyone come across an easy fit after market back box for there fabia hatch? I can get a customer st/st for around £180 fitted but if you have found a much cheaper universal box that is easy to fit I would like to know. And see any pics.

Thanks 

If I'm being honest fella, I don't like it... but it's your car and if your happy that's what counts.

I do like to see a nice tailpipe though (and the Fabia is definitely missing this) but that's the way with a lot of non sporty cars at the minute... the downwards firing pea shooter :(

If I were to do it, it would be a custom s/s twin back box, and cut a recess from the bumper (I hate to see exhausts that are low as they didn't want a cutout)

Thats the only way it would look any good in my opinion.

Just my thoughts... and as I said, if your happy that's all that matters.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Damo

Do you know I have come round to agree with you and have taken it off now. At the end of the day it didn't make any difference to the sound and after reviewing it for some time I decided it just looks s***

Back to the drawing board now, it does seem hard to come across any aftermarket spares like this which are direct fit - I may just have to save for a custom. Also thinking about chipping it now too, have found a good price one from Racechips.

• Like 1

Hi James.

I wasn't trying to rain on your parade, but I had to be honest... it just looked wrong. Glad you agree anyway.

Yes, not many mods available for mk3's as yet.

I would just get a Powerflow or equivalent custom back box.

I paid £300 for a full Stainless cat back system on my last car, so just the back box should be £150-200 I'd have thought.

The only question is, which of the 40 tailpipes do you go for? Traditional twin pipe or maybe a 6x4 Oval? 

Decisions decisions :tongueout:

Not keen on the tuning box method of more power, although the stealth side regarding warranty is very appealing.

Personally I would be going remap.

JBS at Chesterfield do a stage 1 with crackle over run which gives 140 bhp and a lovely sound.

Keep us informed of your progress :thumbup:

Edited by Damo

Hi Damo

Yeah I have a local garage 304stainlessexhaustparts in Worcester that do fully customised design, years back I had an old Corsa fitted with just a round 4" rolled in back box and your right it was 180 quid at the time.

A twin type would look nice and tidy, I had a thought though about perhaps a centre exit maybe slight upswept similar to a Cupra R but not as big and cut in to the bumper, I will have a play about on Microsoft paint and see if it would look any good or not. 

I'm in the same boat James, right now I think I'm going to have to cut out part of my diffuser to fit the exhaust properly. Are there any exhaust back boxes that provides good sound that you recommend for an MK3 Fabia?

Hi Lemto

I do not know your cost ideas but if it's cheap then I would say any universal back box off the internet for around 50 quid would give to you an improved sound without being too loud, Hornet do some ok ones but don't know how long they would last and you will certainly have make adaption for it to fit either with or without cutting your bumper, to get it right i would take it to a good garage that know what they are doing to fit for 45 quid approx. I wouldnt go for a cherry bomb either btw - too chavvy.

If you want something made to last with in most cases lifetime warranty then find a custom exhaust supplier/fitter they will are obviously made to measure, and you can normally ask for what kind of note you want to achieve, the less packing in the rear muffler the louder, deeper more poppy it will probably get. Chepaest custom would be a rear muffler delete with your chosen tip on the end, should be able to get for less than 150 for under 200 fitted with a muffler and tip of your choice.

16 minutes ago, James777 said:

Hi Lemto

I do not know your cost ideas but if it's cheap then I would say any universal back box off the internet for around 50 quid would give to you an improved sound without being too loud, Hornet do some ok ones but don't know how long they would last and you will certainly have make adaption for it to fit either with or without cutting your bumper, to get it right i would take it to a good garage that know what they are doing to fit for 45 quid approx. I wouldnt go for a cherry bomb either btw - too chavvy.

If you want something made to last with in most cases lifetime warranty then find a custom exhaust supplier/fitter they will are obviously made to measure, and you can normally ask for what kind of note you want to achieve, the less packing in the rear muffler the louder, deeper more poppy it will probably get. Chepaest custom would be a rear muffler delete with your chosen tip on the end, should be able to get for less than 150 for under 200 fitted with a muffler and tip of your choice.

Thanks for this information James, I'll definitely take it on board! One thing though, why do so many people have a bad image of Cherry Bombs? I have one, and it isn't overly noisy unlike some other 'chavs' who have different exhausts. It's also lasted for over a year without any problems. That's why I was looking to get one for my Skoda. But I'll definitely look elsewhere! 

I'm tempted to look into a custom exhaust, however, I'm not sure if it'll suit me money wise. However, if it's custom and bespoke to my car, it should ensure that it performs as best as possible and the dealership may not despise it when I give my car back at the end of the 3 years! 

Hi Lemto 

A cherry bomb is not the worst exhaust you can choose I have to say, they are probably the easier type to fit as they are just round and fit in to place with the least adaption. A cherry bomb will be ok just choose the black type not red as it will stand out like a saw thumb. I will hold my hand up I had one on a pug 106 a long time ago and they do provide a nice note without being an anoyyance to other people.

The only reason chavvy came in to it really was because they are the go to option for most boy racer enthusiasts who want a cheap exhaust, that said if it provides what your looking low price and good note the  go for it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, James777 said:

well this is what I want to achieve. Excuse my shoddy artwork haha

What's your thoughts? 

20170426_140500.jpg

That would look brilliant if done correctly, something about cutting the bodywork makes my skin crawl. However, from what I've heard if it's done properly then it can look great. Also, in my case, when giving the car back at the end of the 3 years, if it's done well then the dealership might not care. 

Yeah it does make me cringe a bit too. It has to be done right to look good, you only really get one chance but a pro should do it a peace a cake. I think my idea would look great too and I haven't seen it done before on a Fabia. I would go for an almost straight through rear muffler I think, mine is a DSG so it will get a nice prraap on gear changes too.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, yankarinRG said:

Fabia R5's got a centre exit exhaust:

06_Back.thumb.jpg.3ce08fdc5e4bd5a491b55a4708707329.jpg

Perharps something like this would look better?

11.jpg.3a83be094f84d93367160a37ee60feef.jpg

I reckon a twin exhaust in the centre would look nice. This talk excites me! Keep the ideas coming!

5 minutes ago, Damo said:

@yankarinRG The twin pipe looks factory fitted.

@Lemto I bet you'd have no problem handing that back after 3 years with that one on.

@James777 The centre one needs to be either a bigger oval or twin round IMO.

ps Your photoshop skills are incredible :D

Are you being sarcastic @Damo or are you being serious? Lol

1 hour ago, Lemto said:

Are you being sarcastic @Damo or are you being serious? Lol

Totally serious.

The twin pipe looks so much like a factory fitment, I really couldn't see a problem when handing that back 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Damo said:

Totally serious.

The twin pipe looks so much like a factory fitment, I really couldn't see a problem when handing that back 

Still think you're being sarcastic, but I'll take your word for it ;)