Whot no CD player

Sad555

Yes it could be done but with CDs copied to a SD card giving much more visual information when going thru the albums and having over 100 CD albums on the card showing all Album Art, Artist and track titles why would you want to do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 137699 said:

Err because CDs sound much better than MP3s.

Err on a car radio system in a noisy car can you really tell the difference between CD and MP3, I very much doubt it

We've said this before.
If in a perfect environment with top quality kit I would have to agree but in a car with all the noise and imperfect environment the sheer usability of a SD card blows carrying and using CDs into the weeds.
I'll bet it's possible to fit a record deck to the AUX input too!

• Like 1

This is what the customer wanted,his reasons ,his choice.I feel lucky with the Columbus I've got both options and can buy the cd in a store and listen to it in the car on the way home and transfer to SD at my leisure or pick one of my CDs that hasn't been put on SD and can listen too it there and then.I think it's called CHOICE.

Edited by Sad555

If you know anything about quality audio you will realise that the intense soundstage within the confines of a relatively well insulated vehicle cabin make it one of the best places to enjoy good quality sound systems. 

The compression of MP3 audio is more obvious in car or headphones than it is on home audio and hence if you enjoy audiophile hi-fi then the limitations of MP3 audio on car stereos is all too obvious. 

I was not happy at all when we noticed no CD player but now using SD cards I would not have it any other way.
We are now listening to and enjoying albums that have been stored in CD holders that would not have ever seen the light of day in the car.

So easy to select an album and track now, and if recorded correctly they sound outstanding.

1 minute ago, 137699 said:

The compression of MP3 audio is more obvious in car or headphones than it is on home audio and hence if you enjoy audiophile hi-fi then the limitations of MP3 audio on car stereos is all too obvious. 

You'll be saying FM radio is better quality than DAB next.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 137699 said:

If you know anything about quality audio you will realise that the intense soundstage within the confines of a relatively well insulated vehicle cabin make it one of the best places to enjoy good quality sound systems. 

Oh come on! maybe in a 7 series BMW, Bentley or Roller but in a Yeti? - unless you only listen while parked in a quiet car park. Yeti's are hardly known for their refinement or quiet cabins at any speed so to tell the difference between CD and MP3 in a moving Yeti is somewhat stretching belief.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Urrell said:

You'll be saying FM radio is better quality than DAB next.

Did I mock you? You seem to feel it appropriate to mock me. 

22 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Oh come on! maybe in a 7 series BMW, Bentley or Roller but in a Yeti? - unless you only listen while parked in a quiet car park. Yeti's are hardly known for their refinement or quiet cabins at any speed so to tell the difference between CD and MP3 in a moving Yeti is somewhat stretching belief.

You clearly know little to nothing about this topic - either that or you have ignored everything I have stated above. I have been enjoying hifi for 35 years and have a £4000 separates system at home. I think I have sufficient capability to know why I prefer to listen to CDs in my Yeti than MP3. 

I'll say it again. The difference is more obvious in the car than in the home. For the reasons I cited before. 

As I understand it, the OP's quote suggested using a CD drive feeding in via an analogue Aux connection; won't that introduce the potential for losses/distortion anyway?

Jim

1 hour ago, 137699 said:

Have you tried converting to FLAC or WAV as an alternative to MP3? I think Bolero/Amundsen supports both.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RapidPaul said:

Have you tried converting to FLAC or WAV as an alternative to MP3? I think Bolero/Amundsen supports both.

I have no need to. I have CD on my Amundsen+ and I have no intention of changing it. 

45 minutes ago, 137699 said:

I have no need to. I have CD on my Amundsen+ and I have no intention of changing it. 

I appreciate how sonically superior it sounds, but do you not get bored listening to the same CD? 

8 hours ago, 137699 said:

You clearly know little to nothing about this topic - either that or you have ignored everything I have stated above. I have been enjoying hifi for 35 years and have a £4000 separates system at home. I think I have sufficient capability to know why I prefer to listen to CDs in my Yeti than MP3. 

I'll say it again. The difference is more obvious in the car than in the home. For the reasons I cited before. 

If you can tell the difference between CD and MP3 at 70MPH I applaud your hearing and discernment. For me road roar and wind noise bring both formats to about level. Anyway I hope you continue to enjoy your CD music.

9 hours ago, Fin69 said:

I appreciate how sonically superior it sounds, but do you not get bored listening to the same CD? 

I have about 400 CDs. So no.

My music on the SD card is recorded in .WMA at 192kbps.
And as I have said am very happy with the quality and for me not faffing about with CDs and having all the music details shown on screen to select makes it a no brainer.

5 minutes ago, 137699 said:

I have about 400 CDs. So no.

Could you let us see the storage you have in the car for those?

• Like 1

CD's - how quaint ! :)

I guess it depends on which sound system one has in ones car,but certainly in our Fabia I would struggle to appreciate CD sound quality over the growl of the 1.9 tdi PD engine and the road noise from our cr@p road surfaces.

I have used mini usb sticks for years,you can see it sticking out of the RHS of the radio face in the pic below,the amount of music they hold for the size is astounding,they do have sonic limitations but that is far outweighed by the practicality of a tiny storage unit - it only protrudes 18mm out of the radio face (our other car usb is even smaller - only about 12mm i think).

I am not sure how many albums are on the usb but it sure beats the 6 disc -er autochanger I used to have (and of course the huge cassette collection I used to carry round in the 'good old days :)),I have never used a single disc cd player in a car purely from a storage aspect !

DSC01564.JPG

18 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Could you let us see the storage you have in the car for those?

You don't give up do you?

What gives you the right to be so rude to a fellow owner for simply having an opinion of how they like to listen to music?

If you're happy with your MP3s then that's fine. I choose to listen to CDs because I'm really into music and quality audio.

I also have about 5000 tracks on my iPhone which connects via MDI which means I have plenty of other options if I just want background music.

Do I really have to justify myself to you? If you have nothing constructive to add, why don't you just crawl back under whichever stone you normally live under and just let others get on with it?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 137699 said:

You don't give up do you?

What gives you the right to be so rude to a fellow owner for simply having an opinion of how they like to listen to music?

Do I really have to justify myself to you? If you have nothing constructive to add, why don't you just crawl back under whichever stone you normally live under and just let others get on with it?

I am just giving my opinion of what I like just the same as you but unlike you I am not being rude like you seem to be missing in your posts.

• Like 1