Whot no CD player

Sad555

15 hours ago, 137699 said:

Err because CDs sound much better than MP3s.

So - don't use MP3 format. As others have said, the head units without a CD player support things like FLAC, so there is a way to get CD-equivalent audio fidelity.

To answer the original question. No, the Yeti that I have just ordered (L&K) or the one I have just sold (Monte Carlo) comes with a CD player it is not listed as a standard fit or offered as an optional extra, I did notice that the Rapid I was looking at while waiting in the dealers did have one fitted in the glove box.

As with most in things in life you pays your money and takes your choice including how you prefer to listen to your music in the car.

Edited by HighlandYeti
  • Like 1

At home I have AV gear worth tens of thousands and have all my CD's ripped to FLAC. CD to FLAC there is no noticeable difference on that system and certainly no difference In Car.

And of course using FLAC on either SD or USB you get the full advantage of Album Art, Track and Artist info as well as being able to build a media library with search functions, genres, playlist etc.

I mainly buy CD's but just to rip as FLAC files and then they get stored away. The only time I download is if high res audio is available.

But in car the difference between 320 MP3's and FLAC/CD is very minimal.

Lee

• Like 3

The customer requested the CD option for his own convenience/choice,just like when you select options when you buy a new car , so for him nothing to do with sound quality/hi fi.

Lol @ this thread! 

Hifi quality in a yeti? Really? The stereo in my l&k is ok, but average at best. The sound stage is poor and the mid is lacking to my taste. 

Each to to their own of course. But I too am struggling with the suggestion that you can tell the difference between cd and sd sources (recorded at a decent nitrate) in a moving, low end car. 

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I bought a a 2017 Yeti Outdoors last year and was VERY disappointed at no CD.

The whole point is: I like particular types of Jazz. I have a collection of CDs, some of which are from vinyl that I transferred to CD.

Transferring things to SD cards is time consuming and fiddly. In my Saab I changed the CDs in the CD box (still there on the Yeti!) from time to time and listened to them as I wanted. That's all gone. I'm sure many people have still got CD collections. Serious music lovers can't survive on "Streaming" surely?

4 years have past since this topic was started and things have moved on again, as well as no CD you now get no SD card slot only a usb c port :)

Edited by Kenny R

I have an old RNS310 that has 64gb of music in mp3 format that works well enough in an S spec car with OEM speakers!

... anyway, shouldn't most of our attention be on the road ahead ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kenny R said:

4 years have past since this topic was started and things have moved on again, as well as no CD you now get no SD card slot only a usb c port 

Strange that with USB A there were some really small flash drives but with USB C I cannot find any that will not stand the chance of being knocked and broken.

19 hours ago, HuttonFrank said:

Serious music lovers can't survive on "Streaming" surely?

I'd say yes.

I have a Bowers and Wilkins system at home costing many thousands.  Music and Home Cinema are my passion.

I have over a thousand CD's but they are stashed away in the loft. They are all digitally stored as FLAC that I can access at any time on my main system.

My Yeti has Android Auto and I can stream my music from home to the car if required or I have 1.5TB storage on my phone so can connect lossless to the Yeti if I want to. 

I subscribe to Amazon UHD Music so can stream music in CD or even Hi-res up to 24bit 192khz far exceeding CD Quality.  

I still buy the occasional CD but they are ripped then put away. 

On 04/05/2021 at 13:36, logiclee said:

I subscribe to Amazon UHD Music so can stream music in CD or even Hi-res up to 24bit 192khz far exceeding CD Quality.  

I can't even get a DAB signal, let along a mobile data signal strong enough to stream music!

3 minutes ago, b1ackb1rd said:

I can't even get a DAB signal, let along a mobile data signal strong enough to stream music!

For the few times when 4G is a problem I have over 1TB of lossless music on my phone.

At home I use Wifi to stream Hi-Res Music.

Personally i find 2 or 3 of these in the car (the size of a 1 p coin ) pretty good with music from existing CD collection but with it being so easy to download music from iTunes onto a phone I’m starting to use that more ,especially if I buy from ama### and it’s AUTO RIP CD it automatically downloads into the Amazon music app and the actual CD arrives in the post a couple of days later,where will it all end?

7859EF4E-903D-41F9-A5EF-2587295F723C.png

Edited by Sad555

Old Yeti topics never die they just fade away only to come back with a vengeance months or years later. My understanding was that CD quality was inferior to vinyl so really for the best listening pleasure surely a record deck and amp fitted into the Yeti is a must. Now there's a project. But not for me I'm fine with MP3 on an SD card. But then I'm of a generation where when we were young having more than just MW on the car radio was pretty neat and later on if you could play a cassette all the way through without being it chewed up you said a prayer to the gods of in car entertainment.

As regards buying from Ama### my experience has been that when playing an Autorip CD or a downloaded album the time to the end of each track isn't shown on the display, just VBR, whereas if I rip the same CD as an MP3 it does show time elapsed and left. I find this strangely disturbing which may suggest I don't have enough to worry about in my life. 

• Haha 1

What about my predicament! My TT has a CD/DVD but only single player and even worse than that for the sat nav you have to leave the disc in so can't play a CD at the same time!

Fortunately, even though I have a decent Hi Fi in the house and play CDs I'm happy with the quality of music copied from CD to USB when I'm driving, phew!

The XC40 doesn't even have a CD/DVD!

Chris

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

Amazon HD Music is now included with Prime Music and no extra charge so you can have CD quality or Hi-Res quality at no extra charge.

You'd better have a decent data plan if you want that quality while driving though.

On 05/05/2021 at 15:55, Frenchtone said:

^ yeah but maybe he's 95!!!   ;-))

Only just in my 50's 

And he's no idea how many cars I've had, my signature only lists the Skoda's :rofl:

On 05/05/2021 at 14:59, HuttonFrank said:

You must have a lot of time on your hands to do all that.  

Depends how fast your PC is and what software you use.

Ripping a CD takes a couple of minutes max.  Hardly a chore when I buy a new one.

As above……… every cd I purchase I drop in the PC and it’s ripped to the library to save/backup or download to phone or usb,,,,,,,,,simples

• Like 1