Brake light switch

Evening all

My Mrs has an 09 reg fabia and yesterday her EPC light appeared on the dashboard and then shortly after the EDL too. I got it read on a laptop and the codes came back as the brake light switch. Her brake lights don't work but the high level one does but stays dimly lit at all times until the pedal is pressed. We have checked all the bulbs and they haven't blown.

She bought a new switch and I fitted it but the problem is still there with exactly the same issue. I have done a bit of digging round the net but can't seem to come up with much except possibly going to the main dealers for an 'up to date' switch?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, as no doubt she will blame it all on me again soon :cool:

Cheers

As the high level light goes bright when the brake pedal is pushed down the switch is probably working correctly. How many individual wires are there to the switch? If several possibly there is more than one contact set in the assembly.

Since the high level light stays dim and others don't work at all suspect a wiring or connector fault. Are there separate fuses  for the rear cluster and high level brake lights? If a fuse has blown suspect a broken or frayed wire touching the bodywork.

What happens when the indicators, tail lights, fog light and reversing light are each switched on in turn and various combinations ?

• 3 months later...

Have a look in their other post "Glow plug coil light flashing on fabia 1.9tdi"

Although, no is the answer so far!

Edited by mrgf

Just a thought though, Have you thought of changing the DIMLY LIT bulb? Perhaps it is defective. Pull it out and try again without this bulb, then put NEW bulb in and try. Don't rely on putting a supposedly "fine" old bulb back in just to be sure. Swapping for new ones is so cheap and if there is no difference, the oldies can always be kept as spares!