towbar vagcom coding cost

Hi have just fitted a witter towbar to my Octavia estate 2011. Used witter dedicated wiring kit which states coding will be required . Does anyone know approx cost to get this done at dealer? Thanks in advance for any replies!

+1 get someone with VCDS to code it for you and get some extras done at the same time. 

Mine was done by a local lad much cheaper than going to a dealers or tow bar fitter. 

BTW the tow bar electrics will work without coding but the alarm extension won't and the reverse sensors and fog light with not be deactivated whilst you a trailer connected. 

Hi and thanks for replies. Wiring now completed - worst installation of a dedicated wiring kit I have ever undertaken . Very poor instruction supplied on a disc by manufacturer . For a basic spec car , a cheap bypass relay box would have been installed in half the time. Results are , for my 7 pin installation, everything works with no warnings on dash without further coding . SE spec car , manual ,so no need for parking sensors  gearbox shift pattern etc to be modified. still have not figured out how to remove light switch assembly as threads on youtube etc did not work for me but the supposed need to remove all fuses from the fusebox to allow the locking plate at rear to be unlocked proved false as insertion of new wiring to fusebox rear  worked without removal of fuses. You live and learn! 

I did mine on the Tiguan last week ... nightmare as it kept chucking out "sporadic communication" with trailer module. A quick call to Westfaila Tech all sorted conversation went like this....."Have you followed the instructions ? Yep, you'll have them in the wrong fuse holders" !! It needs a permanent live for the three additional wires.

Glad you got it sorted ;)

Kaspian, a little confused with your fitting problems although I do remember the can bus wires were incredibly small and fat fingers made it a pain in the backside. Anyway your all sorted which is what counts. 

Got it in one Cward! Trying to connect to the tightly twisted pair of wires  that is the canbus lying upside down looking up into the dash with only one hand able to fit the space available is great fun ! So is having to remove half of the trim inside the car to route the new loom to the fusebox area. A few weeks ago fitted a dedicated wiring kit from Hyundai to an Ix35. Fitted in 2 hrs including stop for tea. Perm. Live comes from fusebox at battery and all wiring has double plugs where you unplug the light cluster plug that into new socket on harness then plug corresponding new plug into light cluster. Simples! I remember fitting a towbar to my Cavalier years ago and that had a wiring plug  in boot to connect towbar socket wiring to .. Wiring took all of 2 mins. And no broken rattly trim  left either! Such is progress...

• Like 1

Wish I had gone down the  bypass relay route - would have been £80 better off and could have had the job done in half the time! The Witter dedicated loom also fits a few  vag group cars so you end up with around 5 feet extra at dashboard to lose under dash as end already have crimped on fuse panel connectors.And as Cward says data is somewhat inaccurate lets say.......