Oil pump in 170bhp gear driven or hex key

Getting my timing belt and water pump done in a weeks time. In my previous car (Audi a6) i had a huge oil pump failure. 

To avoid this problem I'm getting the oil pump done as well as the belt done.

I'm trying to figure out if my car has a gear driven oil pump or a hex key style drive. 

Its a 2012 2.0 t.d.i 170bhp estate.

If anyone had part numbers for the oil pump that would be great. 

Thanks

I haven't seen a single oil pump failure on the 170CR engine, come to think of it the last Audi i did was a very early common rail (2008). 

And the last sump I had off a 2013 CR TDI engine was nothing like the image above - no balance shaft unit and the pump was driven directly via wet belt.

On 3/25/2017 at 10:28, Bazery said:

Getting my timing belt and water pump done in a weeks time. In my previous car (Audi a6) i had a huge oil pump failure. 

To avoid this problem I'm getting the oil pump done as well as the belt done.

I'm trying to figure out if my car has a gear driven oil pump or a hex key style drive. 

Its a 2012 2.0 t.d.i 170bhp estate.

If anyone had part numbers for the oil pump that would be great. 

Thanks

Don't waste your money replacing something that won't fail. It was the early VAG PD140 2.0 engines had the oil pump issue; I know, ours failed at 99k. The unit was replaced with a modified pump which has a solid shaft (plus the turbo, intercooler, et al). Cost £750 for the labour, as the £2.5k+ for parts was covered by SUK "goodwill".   

• 1 month later...

So I got the timing belt, water pump, oil pump and hex key done by my mechanic. The lengthened hex key had a begun to wear fairly noticeably. I need to upload the pictures here, I'm glad I did the pump and the key as there was significant play between them.

On 5/9/2017 at 20:41, Bazery said:

So I got the timing belt, water pump, oil pump and hex key done by my mechanic. The lengthened hex key had a begun to wear fairly noticeably. I need to upload the pictures here, I'm glad I did the pump and the key as there was significant play between them.

Can we see the pics? Thanks!

• 10 months later...
On 5/12/2017 at 12:34, numskull said:

Can we see the pics? Thanks!

I lost it for a while!! Like nearly a year but found the key while cleaning out a toolbox. It has a nice but if wear on one edge, for the sake of an extra hundred quid it's definitely worth doing. My last audi I a6 cost me nearly 3 thousand because the key had worn out!!

IMG_20180326_231048_HHT.jpg

IMG_20180326_231038_HHT.jpg

IMG_20180326_231012_HHT.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 05:02, numskull said:

And your mechanic said that HEX came out of your MKII CR170 oil pump? Is he an authorised service agent/dealer? Did he give you the complete pump too?

On the basis this could not have come from a 2012CR170 engine, I guess they didn't hand over the complete pump then. Unfortunately, I think you've been shafted (excuse the pun)... 

• Like 1

I was there when he took it out. My mechanic is also my neighbour.

the cr170 is gear driven but still has a hex key. I replaced with a longer hardened hex key from a german company. 

I had all of the old parts but don't hold onto them as i swapped them out for new. 

• 3 years later...