OLD AGE CRISIS

If it's viable do it, who knows it may put a smile on your face every journey you need to do and those you " don't " but will keep finding excuses to make

remember there's plenty of rich dead folk

@Robbydazzler We are in very similar circumstances. I've been driving my Sportline for three months now and very pleased with the purchase: it is bargain-priced luxury. It is all the car I need, but will admit to occasional pangs of "exhaust envy" when I read about the 280ps motor and 4x4. But, just because I could afford it, doesn't mean I need it. The 220ps has more than enough power and there is no need of four-wheel drive in central London.

The only caution I would offer: the Superb is a big car. It doesn't feel large when you're behind the wheel, but you know it's long when you try to parallel park it – or wash and wax it. But, the long wheel base helps with the comfort.

You'll love the DSG trannie. It has a very smooth stop/start implementation with a convenient button to switch it off when you don't want it. It has a manual mode when you want to feel like you're driving the car. I thought I would spend a lot of time in manual, but the car drives so well, and is so relaxing in auto, I rarely bother.

I will just say that the Alcantara seats that come with the Sportline are very nice. Don't know if they're offered as an option in the L&K, but I'd ask.

• Like 1

You don't need our permission, but as long as you both have a really good test drive to confirm it is right for you and wife, then I give my blessing on your choice :)

If you end up buying it then I bet you end up doing more than 4k miles a year.

Good excuse to regularly slip away for a long drive to a romantic weekend destination.

My immediate thought is you must be crazy to consider such a car for 4000 miles of urban use. However, its your money and you are entitled to spend it on what you want. 

For the same list price as a Superb L&K 280 hatch I'd consider a new or nearly new Mercedes C350e, Lexus GS300H or Lexus NX300H, Passat GTE, Mitsubishi PHEV Outlander GX5h type of vehicle. All are upmarket and offer plenty of specification, plus for your urban driving you can run in near silent electric mode for much/all of the time (4000 miles/year = average 11 miles a day). These hybrids have plenty of power for when/if its needed. 

Ultimately only you can decide, but take a look at what else is out there for the same money.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cnc said:

My immediate thought is you must be crazy to consider such a car for 4000 miles of urban use. However, its your money and you are entitled to spend it on what you want. 

For the same list price as a Superb L&K 280 hatch I'd consider a new or nearly new Mercedes C350e, Lexus GS300H or Lexus NX300H, Passat GTE, Mitsubishi PHEV Outlander GX5h type of vehicle. All are upmarket and offer plenty of specification, plus for your urban driving you can run in near silent electric mode for much/all of the time (4000 miles/year = average 11 miles a day). These hybrids have plenty of power for when/if its needed. 

Ultimately only you can decide, but take a look at what else is out there for the same money.

Honestly, who cares about silence and electric mode? The Superb is great for urban use, large and comfortable with a decent auto box. Ours does a lot of city miles without a problems, and I don't have front sensors or a camera either. @Robbydazzler I would indeed think carefully before getting a 280... But only to make sure you don't want something with 8, 10 or 12 cylinders instead. For 4,000 miles a year you're not really going to care whether your car gets 60 MPG or 16. As others have said, you can't spend it when you're dead (I'm 34 and use that justification!). The only trouble is, when you get a 280 you'll probably find you do a lot more miles, just to enjoy it. :D

• Like 3

You'll love the car but if you're only doing 4000 miles a year you might find a petrol model more luxurious (quieter) and avoid all the ills of modern diesels when subject to low mileage. If you want a DSG then the 200 is wonderful (manual not available) but if you want a manual, the 1.4 150 horsepower is also an excellent engine.

Golf R has a manual version, plus it has the vanity-appealing R badge :D

The Superb is just way to big for just two people, hard to park and drives like a boat (ok, sport suspension makes it better but the big car physics can't be fixed).

When I was in ordering my superb I had to wait for the salesperson who was dealing with a customer that was collecting his new car. He was clearly at least 75 years of age and walked with a walking stick. He collected a corrida red superb hatch. I don't know the specifications of the car but I saw the smile on his face as he was driving off. Salesperson told me that he was 80 years old. Changed his car every two years. Go for it. We'll be longer under the ground than on top !

On 3/26/2017 at 08:56, Robbydazzler said:

I am too old for a mid life crisis but ,having never had a flagship model of any car , I am considering purchasing a Superb Mk3 L&K 2.0 petrol 4x4 DSG. My present car is a SEAT Toledo Style Advanced 1.2 TSI (think top spec Rapid). I am an OAP and drive about 4000 miles per year almost exclusively urban. Never had an auto but have driven one.There is just  my wife and I to drive. Coffin dodgers frivolity or justified eccentricity? What do you think?

I too have just been through the same thing.  Although 50 this year mine was more a treat me for working hard rather than a mid life crisis.  :DNow I tried a number of cars from a new VW Tiguan 2.0 TSi petrol DSG, to a Qashqai to other estates.  I needed a larger estate, MPV (please no) or an SUV.  Everybody said to try an SUV but I found them too wobbly in corners and not enough poke.  Also I don't need a diesel, only do about 7K a year in the main car, about 4K in the second car.  This is a Octavia 2 FL 1.8TSi elegance estate as it happens.

I tried the Superb and absolutely loved it.  Had to be an estate for me.

When I was looking at specs and power plants  I tried a number of them.  1,4TSI ACT was a good engine but a bigger car and less power than what we already had was going backwards for me but I am sure it suits plenty of people.

I was looking at the SEL spec and L & K.  

I tried both but my wife and I both agreed that the L & K seats were more comfortable. The Sportline seats were nice but I wanted more toys and a "sleeper" rather than a "shout out" Sportline which in effect is a VRS Superb.

So L & K was the spec.  I tried both the 220 and the 280.  The 220 was fantastic, can't say anymore.  I wanted a DSG gearbox as I had tried a number and was very impressed with them.  I think also the DSG is more in keeping with the L & K trim which was what I was going for.  The issue was I tried a 280, yes it is not an insignificant amount of money to move up to the 280 engine from the 220.  The additional money seems to get you a more powerful engine,  4 wheel drive and larger front brakes and ventilated rear brakes.  Ohh and you can longer have a full size spare, space saver only.  Or stick with the tyre sealer, I got the space saver with mine.

The extra was worth it to me, had it 2 weeks now and I have a big grin everytime I go out.  Just about run in and opening it up more and more.  It really is a quick car, not saying that a 220 is not just that the 280 has a bit more.  Once it has done a a few thousand miles I am considering getting mine mapped to 350bhp, sounds hilarious but gotta be done I think.

You won't be disapointed with a Superb in whatever spec or engine you go for. Do it.  ;)

PS.  For the same money I know you can move into an Audi, I looked at them also.  New A4 was stunning but too small.  A6 was good but no small petrol engines.  All diesel other than a S6 and RS6 which was beyond me.  S6 starts at £60K :sadsmile:

Unless you need the size, look at a Golf R or Seat Leon Cupra 300!  Superb L & K will be way more comfy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RGKTSi said:

Unless you need the size, look at a Golf R or Seat Leon Cupra 300!  Superb L & K will be way more comfy.

Regarding the SEAT - No really don't!

The Cupra is a cheap performance car because it's cheap.  Interior plastics are made from recycled Playskool bricks and there will be more sources of vibration than in one of those sleazy sex shops that keep appearing on the A1.   Not to mention the dealear network is terrible. 

In terms of hot hatches; take a hit on the headline performance figures and opt for the Golf GTI, with or without the extra 10BHP performance pack. As an allrounder it's hard to beat and IMO it's styling is absolutely spot on.

Regardless of alternate hot hatches and alike; I think the Superb is one of the nicest VAG cars around at the moment - you have to spend a hell of a lot more just to get a similar spec elsewhere but that money doesn't necessarily translate into better quality or improved drivability.  It just seems to do everything well without having to shout about it. 

Edited by penguin17

i believe 280ps 4x4 will give lot of joy,
but before order Škoda please check price of A6 -
in Latvia currently price of well packed Audi A6 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic is less(€39 399) than lot packed Superb 2.0 TSI DSG(€40 199)

a little loss of power and equipment, but huge win on class of car and driving comfort

http://www.audi.lv/content/dam/ngw/lv/Sales/Campaigns/A6-Runout/A6_sales_lv.pdf

p.s.

for those who don't like my critical point of view:

please read a letter which i sent to Head of Škoda-Auto

160916_to_Skoda-Auto.doc

almost all problems were rejected

p.s.2

i love my Superb :)

i hate attitude from producer!!!

1 hour ago, MartiniB said:

in Latvia currently price of well packed Audi A6 1.8 TFSI S-Tronic is less(€39 399) than lot packed Superb 2.0 TSI DSG(€40 199)

a little loss of power and equipment, but huge win on class of car and driving comfort

We can't get this model in the UK.  Only petrol models are S6 and RS6.

3 hours ago, MartiniB said:

p.s.

for those who don't like my critical point of view:

please read a letter which i sent to Head of Škoda-Auto

160916_to_Skoda-Auto.doc

almost all problems were rejected

p.s.2

i love my Superb :)

i hate attitude from producer!!!

Why then are Audi consistently ranked the lowest of the Volkswagen Audi Group in consumer and market surveys in Europe and the US, JD Power for example?  Skoda is consistently the VAG leader in terms of reliability and customer service. Audi are like Mercedes, they've been cutting corners for years and still play on a reputation built in the 80's when the competition was non-existent. 

I think you just need to accept that you bought a car that was made on the Friday a'noon before the Christmas shutdown.  5hi7 happens. 

5 of my colleagues all drive Audi's (A3 Sportline, TT, A4 Saloon, RS7 and A6 Avant), all of them have had warranty work carried out in the first year of ownership.  Two of them have had to be towed to their dealer to identify why their 30k and 60k cars left them on the hard shoulder with the hazard lights on.   They often have a few choice words about the after sales service at their dealers too.   

Last week, for example, Mr TT owner was emailed by the company receptionist to ascertain why his car was blocking the car park.  Seems the electronic parking brake had failed (again).    

Edited by penguin17
  • Like 3

Having studied the Superb more closely a couple of questions please.

1. Most photos show the car without a rear wiper is it necessary? I have had one of these on cars for years and would be reluctant to lose it.

2. I believe that the DSG gears can be changed manually with steering wheel paddles. Do these come automatically with the car or are they an extra? Can the DSG "gearstick" be used as a manual gear change? ( wife likes manuals)

I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap the insurance is even for the 280 L&K!

32 minutes ago, Robbydazzler said:

Having studied the Superb more closely a couple of questions please.

1. Most photos show the car without a rear wiper is it necessary? I have had one of these on cars for years and would be reluctant to lose it.

2. I believe that the DSG gears can be changed manually with steering wheel paddles. Do these come automatically with the car or are they an extra? Can the DSG "gearstick" be used as a manual gear change? ( wife likes manuals)

I was pleasantly surprised at how cheap the insurance is even for the 280 L&K!

In the UK the rear wiper is a free optional extra. You can tick the box or not, but the price is the same either way. I ordered my 220 hatch with the wiper, and was glad at first. It certainly clears the rear screen. Then I discovered Soft99 Ultra Glaco rain repellent (based on fluorine polymers), and wish I hadn't bothered getting it at all. The wiper spoils the rear lines of the car somewhat imho, and with Ultra Glaco the rear visibility is perfect.

It's not like RainX of old where you scrubbed for hours to get rid of the oily film, which inevitably juddered your wipers and smeared for weeks. It comes in a shoe polish style bottle, from which you remove the cap, turn it upside down to apply the little felt pad to the glass, wipe over and then wait. Over a few minutes the liquid goes cloudy, and you then simply wipe away with a cloth. No pressure or scrubbing required, and no smears, unlike RainX. It's like a fine powder that just disappears to the touch. It lasts up to a year at a time and by heck it shifts the water. Anything from about 25mph onwards and the water just flies off the glass, but even stationary it keeps the water beaded up so you have great visibility regardless. It's only relatively cheap, and I did every window on the car (plus wing mirrors) with about 1/4 bottle. Super stuff and means you don't need the wiper. Your call.

The paddles are an optional extra, yes. When I ordered my car they were about £90, and worth every penny. Yes you can always use the stick instead, but it's not the same. Having paddles on the wheel is so much more fluid and convenient. Again, highly recommended. 

Edited to add: I've just thought to add, don't mind the Japanese style broken English on Soft99's Nippon Shine website. They are a huge international company, established for decades, and extremely highly regarded in car detailing circles. The guy (Jackie) who runs Nippon Shine is just their UK distributor. I realise at first glance without knowing who they are it could look like a scam site or something due to the language lol. Google them if you're unsure, you'll find thousands of positive reviews (mine included).

Edited by Rainmaker
  • Like 2