Help Please Loss of Power

Hi Guys I have a 2003 1.9tdi 110bhp ASV engine.

I had my cambelt and waterpump changed at the local garage on Thursday, Friday only did 10 miles, going down the M60 through the 50mph zone yesterday all seemed fine, turned onto M61 turned off cruise control and put my foot down. There sounded like a pipe went pop and then a loss of power and EML came on. I pulled over had a brief look couldnt see anything. Drove on it was hard to hill start but bar that it sounded fine unless under accleration when it sounded and felt like a non turbo old tranist van. It would eventually get to 60mph and was losing approx 5mpg compared to normal. When i got to my destination I had the engine cover off and the only thing i could see was a very worn pipe going to egr valve. I got home fine very slow and it doesnt pull up hills, goes to put my vcds on and it kept coming up with this message in the picture even though it worked fine last time i used it in October last year with the same aftermarket radio in it. So I'm stuck. The person closest to me with VCDS in Huddersfield hasnt been online in 8 months but I think i could get 10-15 miles from home (Halifax West Yorkshire). I going to pick up some diesel return pipe and replace the worn pipe to egr valve and get some carb cleaner and take off the egr valve and give it a clean. The last resort is taking it to a garage as I'm totally skint so any help would be greatly appreicated, and if anyone has a working vcds so i can read the codes that would be excellent.

Cheers

Alastair

vcds photo.jpg

Doing the belt on the 1.9tdi pd you usually have to remove the boost pipe from in front of the crank pulley, so likely its just popped off. You probably get a lot of black smoke under heavy acceleration as it will be over fueling like crazy. You typically have to take the top intercooler pipe off too but this should be obvious from looking under the bonnet if its popped off. 

Check the top pipe first, on the intake and intercooler, if thats fin you will probably have to drop the belly tray off to check the lower pipe. They just clip on and can be a right ball ache. That said if you just dropped it back to the garage you had the work done at they should be able to do that for you and I wouldn't expect them to charge a penny. I wouldnt!

I took the egr valve off and it was caked like a mo**erf*cker... a good 2.5cm. only prob was i broke the plastic attachment to the vacumm valve. so new one from scrappers tomorrow. I think the inlet manifold will have to come off as i scrapped loads out but couldnt get to the bolts without breaking my knuckles. Any tips really welcome

I would just investigate the sudden loss of boost pressure before taking anything else apart.. can of worms and all that! 

Please do not take my lack of posts as a lack of knowledge on these engines

It was more like a pop than a hiss. By boost do you mean the vacuum pipes on the engine bulkhead.  I think I've just found one with a hole in it coming from the same solenoid that goes to the top of the egr valve so going to replace that 

Boost pipes are the big pipe from the intake too the intercooler, and from the turbo outlet too the intercooler. Top pipe is on the left as you open the bonnet in front of the timing cover and bottom pipe is in front of the crank pulley. Both disturbed during a belt change.

@Jux  is entirely correct; the first place to look in these circumstances is the boost pipes from turbo to intercooler (bottom right front corner of engine bay) and back up to the inlet manifold. I have had this happen to me following a cambelt change, and know what I am talking about!

• Like 1

The boost pipes seem fine, the more I listen the more I can hear a hiss from around the solenoid area but can't feel any holes or air escaping.  The Engine sounds louder than normal and more very old diesel rather than the sweet purring it normally makes. I will trace the boost pipes again for piece of mind

It's rare for coincidence to occur in the motor trade. If the symptoms suggest a pipe popping off, days after those pipes were disturbed, then it's fairly clear. The louder noise is because the pipe is loose, which just strengthens that view

Have you not taken it back to the garage that done the work? A quick raise on the ramp and you'd see the pipes from underneath easily. 

It is going back in the morning I had another look but everything looks in place,  I hope you're right and I jus can't see the wood for the trees.

So back to garage this morning on the ramp, no sign of any pipes off... There was a frayed wire attached to the solenoid closest to the EGR valve that attaches to the inlet manifold, and three blown fuses. The reason I couldn't get my VCDS working was F12 mini Blade that runs the data port had blown, and F29 & F43 both engine management circuits had blown.

Fixed the wire changed the fuses and back to normal everything running, bizarre or what. I still can't understand why it made the car sound like a pipe had blown off, just glad it's working. Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice I've learnt a fair bit this time from you all.

Cheers

Edited by Alastairh