Fabia vrs burning oil

okay so, been into simpsons skoda in preston they have started a diagnostic which is the oil consumption test like you said they would. 

with regards to the warranty they have said that they will do the work and i pay for the car and claim it back from honda at a later date. but im not so sure about this doesnt fill me with confidence if they cant claim it back on my behalf.......business is business i supposse. 

they mention the good will thing regarding work on the car, they have also update the software on the gear box too. 

108.00 later with a full price o return from diagnostic being 380.00 bit worrying but it is what it is and looks like im going to have a claim on my hands to claim the money back from skoda........

cheers for the responses regarding my issue above cheers gang 

Really you need to claim on your Warranty, the Warranty with the car you bought and should be fit for purpose.

You are the Policy Holder, do not approve work even diagnosis that you might have to pay for.

£110 or more just for an Official Oil Consumption test, then what comes after that.

The Honda Dealership & that Warranty need to do any claiming off Skoda UK or anyone else, 

you have no contract with Skoda other than the advice and work SIMPSON SKODA are now entering into with you.

Please do not get shafted when you have Consumer Rights and a Warranty where you bought the car.

So HARROGATE HONDA are the ones you need to arrange any warranty work, or Warranty Approval for work.

Edited by Awayoffski

Just read properly the  full price of £380 for the testing.

£110 paid now.

Are you saying they want £380 to have drained your oil, filled with 3.6 litres and fitted a new oil filter, then dropped that and weighed it, refilled,

sealed the filler cap and dipstick and sent you off to drive for however long.

Then return and they will do the same, draining the oil and weighing it, or using the equipment they have to do checks?

They are taking the pith if they are charging £380 for Testing the Oil Consumption.

The DSG Service Campaign work is free, it was a Recall Action that Skoda / VW agreed with the DVSA top do voluntarily instead of there being a 'Recall'.

Skoda pays for it.

Edited by Awayoffski

yeah thats basically what they are saying the total price will be. 

The warranty doesnt cover diagnosis unless the fault is to be a warranty issue? 

(thats how i read it) basically until the fault is decided and yep its a warranty issue and its burning oil i wil have to pay and i hoping i will be reemburst if the fault thats found is a warranty fault? 

thats how i read it i think 

the oil cap can be removed and the dip stick can be checked should these be sealed? 

i paid 1 hrs labour +vat for setting up the diagnostic test? should i not be paying for this ?

You need to read the T&C's of the Warranty from Honda Harrogate.

What it says about claims, paying for a diagnosis, removal of parts etc.

Paying Simpsons Skoda might be what you need to do but you need to start your Warranty Claim and be sure that the Warranty will accept their report.

How far are you supposed to drive now, 300km or 600km or 1000km / 621 miles that might count for something?

600 mls is the set amount. 

spoken to honda harrogate and simpsons skoda im happy with what they are saying now.......

yeah not going to be happy about paying 380 if its burning oil, she tried to get a oil change out of me saying that the oil was dirty..........ha 

i asked how could they tell and she said that its BROWN RIGHT NOW..............WOW

?

What are they charging for if not oil.

They need to put in new oil, and a new filter to do the Oil Consumption test.

Some then dump that oil and put in new when they drain after 600 miles.   

*You change the Oil to know there is the correct oil in because there is no guarantee the last Service had VW502 00 or VW 504 00 spec used.**

Someone is taking the michael.

This is the sort of charge when people are asked to pay, but this example has an obvious error.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

Edited by Awayoffski

23 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

?

What are they charging for if not oil.

They need to put in new oil, and a new filter to do the Oil Consumption test.

Some then dump that oil and put in new when they drain after 600 miles.   

Someone is taking the michael.

This is the sort of charge when people are asked to pay, but this example has an obvious error.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

I think looking at that invoice, Simpson skoda must have added an extra zero on the end of your cost for fun. 

The invoice above was a report they tried to charge for at a main dealership and say within tolerances.

The owner got a new engine.

1 litre of engine oil is not 1,000 grams, and 3.6 litres is not 3,643 grams.  

(3,643 grams would mean the drained 4.2 litres of oil. & after the test 3,565 would mean there was 4.15 litres drained.)

Edited by Awayoffski

This is all interesting reading for me as mine is booked in for a fault at the end of the month and I'm having an oil consumption test carried out as well. The service guy on the phone couldn't be specific as he said it's a long time since he has dealt with one but explained the procedure and said I would probably expect to pay for what is in reality an oil service (£80 ish) but he will get the information he needs and advise properly when I go in. My warranty is with the Skoda dealer it is going back to so perhaps a little easier for me to deal with but I will keep watching this thread and if I can, report back with my experiences if I feel it might be useful. Roll on the 20th!

Ok so....... oil consumption test completed 

cost £156+vat diagnostic 2 hours apparently I thought that was pretty fair........

the he report back was that the tolerances on my car are 0.37 and the Skoda tolarence limit is 0.87 

they basically said it's not burning oil but I am rather suspicious of the time taken in the first instance to set up the test..... 

i dropped per the car off at 9 the technician came and took the keys off me and took it thought, I came back after a phone call to say it was ready and I could see through the window it wasn't......

6:25pm I was given the car and sent to do a oil consumption test. 

If if the car is now ok I am happy but I didn't imagine the oil light coming on that definitely happened so something is a miss here....... 

i will report port back in the future thanks for all the hint and help guys appreciate it. 

Also 

I'm after an exhaust but don't want to pay the earth for one? Or have to travel 100 miles to get it? Anyone know a friend of a friend who's selling a used one or something similar 

cheers 

Just post up the Test / Report Results you paid for and own.

Mileage at start of test, procedure they carried out, weight of oil drained and refilled before miles driven, 

mileage at the end of test and the weight of oil drained & the calculations they did that shows that your car uses less then 

0.5 Litres in 1,000 km / 621 miles,  or actually less than 0.3 litres in 1,000 km / 621 miles.

So,

Oil Quantity / weight in grams please of oil at start of test and end of test,  miles test carried out over.

PS.

If you do not have it maybe ask the Service Manager to email you a copy of the Manufacturers Specifications for tolerances for oil use that they follow.

& that is not 'May use 0.5litres 1000km', a figure in many owners manuals for all VW Group Engines from 2 to 12 cylinders, petrol or diesel 

& from 44Kw up.

Edited by Awayoffski