1.8TSI Decoke and Catch Can Queries.

Hi,

Longtime no post, been busy on other issues.

Anyway, I have a 2010 FL L&K 1.8TSI.

The car has done 73k miles but the engine was replaced at 43k, before I owned it.

So the engine itself has only done 30k miles.

(Previous engine had a timing chain failure and was replaced by a new EA888 unit in Jan 2014.)

I have owned the car for nearly a year and have done approx 7k in that time.

So I have finally found the time to fit a catch can and Africa plate to the engine.

I have a couple of questions.

!st Question.

Seeing as the Engine is now approx 3 years old and has done 30k miles, should I also carry out a Decoke of the inlet valve area's at the same time?

I haven't had any errors or codes and wonder if it would be worth my while doing it?

2nd question.

I intend to carry out regular Manifold/Valve cleaning by injecting a mixture of water/degreaser/mineral spirits via the air-temp-sens aperture.

Can anyone recommend a make of degreaser (UK based) to use?

Cheers

to be honest just fitting a catch can will be enough, along with regular oil changes. the engine only has 30k so not really run in yet.

Don't no any good degreaser for the work you want to do, but don't use anything water based coz if it gets into the combustion chamber while the engine isn't running it will sit in the cylinder, water does not compress so will bend a conrod or two unless you remove all 4 spark plugs.

i wouldn't worry about a decoke unless you intend to remove the cylinder head (not an easy job on the TSI), decoke's are a thing of the past with modern engines.

Edited by Ju1ian1001

The Valve stems and the back of the valves are known to gunk up badly on these engines due to the oil breather system re circulation, which is the main reason for installing a catch can, and Afrika plate.

I didn't intend on taking the head off, rather gaining access via removing the inlet manifold, which is a long process, but no where near as excruciating as removing the Head.

I wondered if anyone had any experiences with an engine of this vintage as to whether the process would be necessary?

Regarding the Degreasing agent I intend to carry a cleaning operation similar to this procedure.... 

OK so no-one got back to me so went ahead anyway.

The Catch can and Africa plate were installed without any major issue.

I now have a plate with a working PCV valve if any one needs one.

I also carried out the inlet valve cleaning similar to the above video.

I used a garden spayer from LIDL (£8.99) which provided an excellent mist from the brass spray head.

I created a rubber seal behind the spray head to fit tight to the aperture port.

The solution I injected was approx 2 litres of 50% water, 25%Gunk ultra, and 25% white spirit.

I injected the solution into the air temp sensor aperture.

I set revs at 4000 rpm and this died down to 2500 rpm when the solution was injected along with quite a few coughs and farts.

The exhaust turned smokey white when the solution was passed through then a smokey mist.. then cleared as the solution run out.

The injection process took about 7 minutes from start to finish.

Results....

Absolutely brilliant.

I had a small hesitation at low revs pulling away and that has now disappeared completely.

The engine runs as sweet as a pea, no farts or hesitations, just smooth powerful acceleration all the way to the top end.

By the way I just luuurrvve the way this 1.8 Tsi engine with a bluefin map powers up all the way to the 5k+ revs.... what a sleeper of a car :D

I would recommend this process to anyone who wants to keep their inlet valves/ chambers clean on a Tsi engine.

I would like to thank brad18t/ for all the information and process involved... respect  :clap:

Edited by promethian

I'm interested to see how much oil you end up with in the can. Were you losing oil before doing this?

Also, with no pics of the valves is it not possible that your cleaning regimen has actually done something similar to the hydrogen cleaning snakeoil in that it does clean things, but only on the way out, not the intake valves themselves?

49 minutes ago, DBT85 said:

I'm interested to see how much oil you end up with in the can. Were you losing oil before doing this?

Also, with no pics of the valves is it not possible that your cleaning regimen has actually done something similar to the hydrogen cleaning snakeoil in that it does clean things, but only on the way out, not the intake valves themselves?

Oh yea of little faith lol..

I was using about a litre every 3-4k miles so quite a low oil consumption figure.

If you want to know how much ends up in the catch can then search through Brad18t posts.... but to save you doing it...  from Brads own words

" 1) I fitted a Forge Catch Can.  The amount of rubbish this collects every 2000km is amazing.  200ml of oily gunk that stays out of the inlet. "

I don't know much about the snakeoil Hydrogen clean... I just had a little look at the blurb and wasn't impressed... that def wouldn't clean your intake valves.

This method however includes degreaser/water(steam)and a mineral spirit which wash over the inlet valves before going into the combustion chamber.

As the engine is DI then fuel doesn't touch this area, so the cleaning products in fuels are wasted.

I will not be able to endoscope the valves till sept when my mech has the car... I'll get him to take a few shots then.

All I can say is the cleaning HAS removed any hesitation that was evident before I cleaned it, so in my opinion the effort was definitely worthwhile.

As you also have a 1.8tsi engine, I would recommend you researching Brad's posts as he definitely knows his stuff as far as the EA888 engine goes.

Edited by promethian
  • Like 1

Ahh ok, so using some oil, but not a huge amount. I've been contemplating a catch for mine as its been drinking oil for a while but with no visible signs at all, probably 400-450ml per 1000km (2.25l in the 3406m/5480km since I started actually tracking it properly). I've been using Castrol 5w30 FST LL though and have only been properly logging since the start of Feb. Will be doing a filter and oil change in a few days and swapping to Mobil 0w40 which will hopefully drop the consumption. At first I was worried about having the chocolate piston rings that are an issue on our cars. 

I hope the scope can show you a shiny set of valves!

Any chance you have a compression gauge? A relatively young block should be nice and tight and be useful for a baseline for me to look at when I test mine. So much info out there about the ea888 but its almost all about the 2.0 in the US, not our 1.8s.

I got my Chinese forge knock off kit for about £70 from here... just noticed price is even cheaper now.

It was very well made and fitting it was easy.

I actually bought it last year but only recently had the time to fit it.

shiny valves... who knows?.... as long as they aren't junked up like some examples I've seen then I will be happy.

Sorry haven't got a compression gauge (I had one years ago... but didn't really use it much. and it would never have fitted down the neck of the EA888 barrel anyway !)

.... If you can wait till Sept I will get them to do a set of readings for me.

Oh edit... I remember reading somewhere on here that apparently you would be better off using 502.00 5w40 as its not long life (which is 504.00 5w30), and more vicious and thus less oil consumption. Obviously you would need to go onto shorter time schedule for oil changes.

Edited by promethian

Yeah I red some bits on here about people swapping to 5w40 and after a bit more hunting around on Audi/VW boards I found a lot of suggestions including from mechanics to go with 0w40 or 5w40 that meets the spec. Managed to get 10l of Mobil 0w40 for £63 delivered so even if it does still drink some, I won't care as much as the price is reasonable.

8 hours ago, DBT85 said:

Any chance you have a compression gauge? A relatively young block should be nice and tight and be useful for a baseline for me to look at when I test mine. So much info out there about the ea888 but its almost all about the 2.0 in the US, not our 1.8s.

Check this https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/426100-superb-oil-consumption/?do=findComment&comment=4834018

or get official workshop manual, might be free one over net (online version here) or paid at VAG erWin

https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showSearchArticle.do

https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showArticleProperties.do?articleId=71654  version S0057260020

https://erwin.skoda-auto.cz/erwin/showArticleProperties.do?articleId=84359 the latest D4B802F5415