New symbol on maxidot

New to me anyway.

The warning symbol on the left appeared for the first time on the motorway. Obviously got too close to the car in front!

fabia warning.jpg

• Like 1

We had our fabia about a fortnight at the time and our lass had driven everyday since we had it 

So anyway i was driving it at the time and i got the same symbol said to our lass look at this it's warning me to back off from the car in front 

And she replied oh i wondered what that meant it's been coming up everyday on the way to and from work 

• Like 2

Wait until the abs kicks in trying brake the car ;) I was going round the Norwich bypass in the outside lane over taking when  a car  moved over a bit so the radar assist kicked in thinking I was too near  but at least it worked :)

My sister was in her Octavia last Monday night when a badger ran out in front obviously a large animal but not big enough to trigger radar assist ( could have been the angle it came from though).Alas the badger is no more and her Octavia needs bumper ,headlight, fog light ,grill  radar assist was left hanging by the wires .

Edited by Mick 50

1 hour ago, Mick 50 said:

Wait until the abs kicks in trying brake the car ;) I was going round the Norwich bypass in the outside lane over taking when  a car  moved over a bit so the radar assist kicked in thinking I was too near  but at least it worked :)

Haha.. yes, I had a similar experience not so long ago, it was bit of a surprise when the car suddenly decided to brake as hard as it could... :) 

But as you said, at least it worked... 

• Like 1

My front assist always shows that left image for driving too close to the car in front, so I back off a bit and it disappears, good to know it's working.

However the auto braking alarm seems to never kick in, I've tested it a few times and it never comes on, I'd have written the car off 20 times by now if I didn't brake. Not sure how severe the circumstances have to be to get the braking alarm? I've had it come on when approach static traffic about 3 times, never again.

I remember a thread on the citigo board of someone who had the citysafe option deciding to show off to the street with an empty pushchair to show it braked automatically 

Let's just say it didn't 

Thing with these kind of tech in cars is to treat them like they aren't there rather than expecting them to brake etc as the more you try the least chance they will  for you it usually does when you least expect it 

My old citigo auto braked pulling into a parking space with hedge in front 

The fabia front assist flashed up once when navigating a blind corner and a bus was on my side partially the car thought crash was imminent and it beeped and i got the picture of the car exploding (I'll find a Google picture ) 

Never done it since 

imageproxy.png

Edited by malcster
  • Like 1

I had front assist working once when a van suddenly braked in front of me to turn left. It was a frightening experience but I'm glad it worked or it would have been a  front end on my new car.

Not sure but can adaptive cruise control be switched on using VCDS? Things seem to be in place for it.

• Like 1

I would *love* if ACC could be coded, but I believe it requires a different ABS module. Factory ACC has a different set of stalks- there's an additional one under the indicator stalk for the cruise. 

My Front Assist is definitely working- some f**ktard in a battered old BMW pulled out infront of me a few weeks ago with virtually no space and it started braking before I'd hit the brake pedal (and the horn, and the flashers). And of course when I got to the next set of lights the moron was on his phone.

Front Assist basically will only cut in at the last possible opportunity. It will quite happily beep and flash the 'exploding car' symbol (Manchester drivers are quite good at triggering it), or will display the two small cars with the exclamation point (again, Manchester drivers trigger this one too). You can change how it displays these symbols through the Bolero. 

• Like 2

Its quite odd that this topic should come up.

I have obviously had the distance warning on the motorway a couple of times.

But I had the collision warning for the first time the other day and yesterday it even kicked the brake for me - I was in no immediate danger, since I was accelerating towards a stopped car and I wanted to drive around him. Of course the car had no idea of my intentions and only registered me acceleration towards a stopped car.

I like having features like this, just in case.

• Like 2

I like it too,cars have advanced so much even in the last three years. I used to drive Ford Sierra's and they now look like death trap's compared to my Fabia.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RickW said:

I like it too,cars have advanced so much even in the last three years. I used to drive Ford Sierra's and they now look like death trap's compared to my Fabia.

Haha.. guess everything is relative...

Compared to my old VW type-1 from 1955 without seatbelts the Sierra is a pretty safe car to drive.. :) 

• Like 1

My old Austin A40 is from another planet nowadays and most people don't understand what it is :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In two years of ownership, 110 DSG Estate, I have seen the gap warning many times on the motorway. I have seen the big crash warning a few times, usually when the car in front suddenly slows to turn off the road and I have experienced the full emergency braking activation twice. On both occasions, it was due to security sliding gates; the raised guide that the gates run in. It happened once at the council tip and once at the exit to the customer parking area at the showroom where I bought the car. The gates were fully open but the guide, about 3 inches above the roadway, was enough to trigger really big automatic ABS brakes and a loud noise. In both cases, I reversed and crossed the guide very slowly. I am pleased that the system will work if necessary. Also, I have experienced the crash warning, without emergency activation, when I came too close up behind a cyclist, which is also reassuring. If it notices cyclists, has anyone seen it react to pedestrians?

• Like 1

My front assist didn't react to a Moorhen running out in front of me as I was doing 50 mph the other day*.

*NO MOORHENS WERE HURT BEFORE,DURING OR AFTER THE MAKING OF THIS COMMENT

• Like 1