Race chip throttle response

Last August, I fitted the PedalBox unit to my car (I suspect the PedalBox is the same as the RaceChip XLR, just different badging). The PedalBox fitting instructions make no mention of the car's alarm system or this...

On 12/11/2017 at 05:38, Rustynuts said:

("With the driver’s door open, lock the car. Wait about 10 minutes before starting Step 2, as all current consumers must have switched themselves off. For cars with “Keyless Go”: after locking the car, place the key out of signal range (about 10 m from the car). If an alarm system is fitted: disable the alarm before starting installation.")?

For some reason, just recently, when I lock the car by touching the spot on the door handle, after about 30 seconds (the alarm's 'arming' period) the alarm begins sounding. It doesn't do this all the time but it's doing it often enough to become very irritating. I have tried unlocking/locking again 'keylessly' but the alarm just goes off again. I then have to unlock and relock the car using the key and, until yesterday, this has always done the trick but last night, the alarm went off again after locking the car with the key. though it didn't after the second attempt.

I wouldn't have thought this was in any way connected with installing the PedalBox without following Rustynut's quoted instructions to the letter, not after 4 months of faultless operation and nothing else has been done to the car since that could affect the alarm system.

Any ideas anyone/

And yes, before anybody asks, I have checked that all the doors and windows are fully closed and that the dog is not hiding in the car :-)

Right, well that'll be a trip to the dealers then as I don't have a VCDS and I'm not sure if there is anybody in the Darlington area who has.

Wish now I'd remember to say something when it was in for a service yesterday. DOH!

That's very kind of you. I don't think I have anything on on Saturday (to be confirmed with the boss tonight!) so I could take a run out there on Saturday morning if that is convenient for you.

Something has just occurred to me though. When I renewed my insurance earlier this month, I went with Direct Line and agreed to have a telematics device fitted. It's aimed at the under 25s really (and I'm a long, long way beyond that!) but I went for it out of pure curiosity and to see if it would make any difference to my renewal premium next January. The device fits into the OBD socket so I might try taking it out for a while to see if it is that causing the issue. Don't know why it should but anything is possible where electronics/computer type thingys are concerned>

No idea if the superb has this but I think some alarms will trigger if they think the OBD port is being tampered with whilst the car is locked as this has been a means of attack used by crims

• Like 1

Hmmm... sounds like a possibility. Wish I could remember if the first time it did it was after the box was fitted. All I can say is that the alarm didn't go off immediately after I plugged the box in else I would have twigged. I'll unplug it before I lock the car tonight and see what happens. If it is that causing the problem, Direct Line can have it back!

Edited by Albourneboy

I would doubt it has anything to do with the PeddleBox, the instructions above you have quoted for me are to avoid connecting to a live circuit which may cause a spark and hence a surge. Leaving the key outside of detection distance is to stop circuits from becoming live but if you have an alarm it may go off if it does not detect the key.

The telematics device sounds more probable but if that does not work, can you plug out the peddle box for a while even if its just to rule it out?

5 hours ago, Albourneboy said:

Something has just occurred to me though. When I renewed my insurance earlier this month, I went with Direct Line and agreed to have a telematics device fitted. It's aimed at the under 25s really (and I'm a long, long way beyond that!) but I went for it out of pure curiosity and to see if it would make any difference to my renewal premium next January. The device fits into the OBD socket so I might try taking it out for a while to see if it is that causing the issue. Don't know why it should but anything is possible where electronics/computer type thingys are concerned>

Someone I know was enquiring amongst his friends about having a black box fitted and one of them had but he exceeded the speed limit and they cancelled his insurance.

Really :biggrin:! Probably another urban myth. Then again, perhaps this 'friend' was driving at some ridiculous speed like 60 in a 30 limit in which case, they deserve to have their insurance cancelled.

The moral  of that tale is,  if you're a habitual speeder, don't get a black box

7 hours ago, facet edge said:

Someone I know was enquiring amongst his friends about having a black box fitted and one of them had but he exceeded the speed limit and they cancelled his insurance.

Lol! I call absolute bulls**t on this friends' tale, unless as the previous poster suggested he was in court summons territory! :-)

It's the telematics device!

I've removed it and I can now lock the car without the alarm going off. The OBD socket must be detecting activity from the device after a journey that makes it think the car is being 'interfered with' in some way so it's triggering the alarm. Now I think about it, if I park and some time elapses between turning off the ignition and locking the car, the alarm does not go off - it only does it if the car is locked within 30 seconds or so after turning off the ignition. I cant' be a***d with fitting/removing the device before/after every journey or with waiting a couple minutes before locking the car so they can have it back.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Lol! I call absolute bulls**t on this friends' tale, unless as the previous poster suggested he was in court summons territory! :-)

From Insure the box. com 

We want to encourage safe driving and help you to be treated as an individual when it comes to your car insurance. Telematics technology allows us to record information about your driving including miles covered, journey times, speed, breaks taken and so on.

We use this information to build up a picture of your general driving style. Each month you can earn up to a hundred Bonus Miles as a reward for your safe driving. You can view your driving information and keep track of any Bonus Miles earned in Your Portal. If you drive safely throughout the year, you could also get a discount on your renewal.

However, if you regularly drive over the speed limit you might not benefit from rewards from insurethebox including Bonus Miles and discounts at renewal. If you persistently speed, or excessively speed, we may even proceed to cancel your policy.

My italics

• 1 month later...

I installed the RaceChip XLR last weekend and it's great. I'm also tending towards Sport + as it just removes the lag/delay but is fine in traffic + stop/start queues.