Ford Fiesta to Rapid Spaceback

Hi all, I'm currently driving a Ford Fiesta 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec on a 64 plate and am currently looking for my next car. The big gripe I've had with the Fiesta is boot space so I'm looking for something different. I've considered may cars and none were matching what I was looking for until I looked at Skoda. At first I was looking at the Fabia Estate but I'm not a huge fan of the looks and the hatchback is too small in the boot. (Fiesta is 290 litres, Fabia is 330 and I rejected the Focus which is 340).

Then I found the Rapid Spaceback. 415 Litres is enough for my needs and the 1.2TSI 110 sounds about right for power and costs, the PCP even looks about right, however, there's one thing putting me off which is that I've never seen one. I'm going to look at one at the dealers a week on Saturday but I mean, I've never seen one on the road. Sales figures also bear me out, 117k Fabias, 90k Octavias and just 52K Rapid Spacebacks in 2016 in Europe. Most of these, were I suspect, in Europe.

The reviews seem to favour the Fabia but I know they're not always right so I'm turning to here for advice and comments. To give you a little more info, I mostly like my Fiesta but I also enjoyed the 2011 Hyundai i10 that I had before it, probably more than the Fiesta if I'm honest. I'd like something a little more comfortable and practical but I still want something that can give me a bit of fun sometimes, I'm not 100% sure the Rapid Spaceback can do that.

Any suggestions, comments or advice would be very much appreciated. If it helps, my main commute is 25 miles consisting of 5 miles of twisty b roads followed by 20 miles of motorway or A road, unless I take the scenic route in which case it's pretty much all B roads. As for me, I'm 51 years old and also ride a motorbike.  

530 litres of luggage space behind the rear seats of a Mk3 Fabia estate.

You do not see the outside when driving a vehicle unless looking in shop windows.

Maybe try a Rapid Spaceback, neither Rapid, slightly rapid and not much space in the back.

http://skoda.co.uk/news/skoda-posts-record-uk-sales-in-2016 

The 1.0TSI engines going n the Rapid & Fabia should be quite good and economic.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

Got to agree with the above, obviously the looks of a car matter but shouldn't rule out anything that fulfills all other criteria imho, indeed I much prefer the look of the Fabia estate over the Rapid or Fabia hatch and an estate always gives just that bit more flexibility and there are many on the uk roads hence a far better selection for sale

standard advice follows try all suitable cars preferably back to back, the 1.2 may suit your needs but a lot say the 1.4 tsi is the 'nicer' drive, once again personal preference needs to be major consideration ( as mentioned in many recent posts the 1.0 tsi is about to be used across the range may well lead to some Skoda 'deals' on the older stock cars

• Like 1

Just priced up the only Fabia Estate I would really consider (Monte Carlo 1.2 TSI 110) and if the dealer can beat the Skoda website finance calculator then we might be in with a chance :-) I'll certainly look into it anyway. I certainly prefer all the reviews of the Fabia but I'm a little fussy on the looks and the wife is worse. :huh:

To be honest the estate looks far far better in the flesh and the Monty Carlo takes it to another level, seen a fair few on the road in fact many more than the spaceback, best advice is try it on for size haggle for the best deal you can then see if the car suits you and yours, good luck

Edited by davidwhite

Fabia estate is a tardis. One of the best small estates around and at a reasonable cost with good residuals.

Rapid is probably a reasonable car but I read somewhere recently that its residuals are dreadful as no-one has heard of it.

Conversely if buying secondhand a rapid could be a very good buy if you intend to keep it and final value is not too important?

55 minutes ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Fabia estate is a tardis. One of the best small estates around and at a reasonable cost with good residuals.

Rapid is probably a reasonable car but I read somewhere recently that its residuals are dreadful as no-one has heard of it.

Conversely if buying secondhand a rapid could be a very good buy if you intend to keep it and final value is not too important?

All the above holds sound advice, generally an estate car is popular on the used car market, the Monty Carlo editions are IMO nicely turned out and may even hold their value better long term but as mentioned IF the spaceback suits your needs and you can live with what is essentially a 'parts bin car, built to a price' hence its poor residual value, buy a used one now and keeping it long term you will benifit from a lower loss of capital via depreciation 

• Like 1

The Parts Bin quote which is correct to a certain degree, but at the same time most of the vag range can be classed as that due to so many shared components..  yes there have been some shared parts, but at the same time think of it as tried and tested...

The car does not look or feel like a parts bin model at all and it a step above the Fabia in my opinion..

A reason for the depreciation is that it is a funny model in the line up as similar spec as a Fabia Estate and not much smaller than an Octy 3.

A SE Sport Spaceback is a much nicer place than a base Fabia estate.... think rear electric windows, Sat Nav, Climate Control, Cruise Control, centre arm rest for starters!!

Edited by RickTT

• Administrators

@dazedandconfused if you';re thinking about a few options, and after buying the car, be sure to checkout the https://cars.briskoda.net bit of the site, with some pretty competitive pricing. ( I know the prices are slightly out, I've got to update them this week ) The discounts are good though ;)

Why would you compare a Spaceback Sport SE with a base Fabia Estate, compare a SE with a SE at least, then look at the prices as you get them discounted.

1 hour ago, Awayoffski said:

Why would you compare a Spaceback Sport SE with a base Fabia Estate, compare a SE with a SE at least, then look at the prices as you get them discounted.

RickTT

pardon me I assure you and any other rapid owners I wasn't dissing the car just stating that the fact that the rapid is built on an old VAG platform compared to the mk111 Fabia and as above its not a fair comparison se sport rapid spaceback vs base Fabia estate, that's just not cricket old chap.......

Do not think the All New 3rd Generation Fabia 2015 on has some new platform. 'Elements of' etc,  it has not had new 'Type Approval' since the Mk2 Fabia was introduced.  They just changed some mounting points and dimensions and changed body panels, there is no new tech, suspension, braking or anything else it is the 4th or 5th evolution of the Fabia from 1999 and still has issues.

Hopefully the Face lift or refresh coming with the 1.0TSI engine will fix the snagging faults.

(The Service Campaign to change the Coolant in 1.4TDI's being a strange one with the VWG blaming coolant as the reason for water pump failure after introducing the Euro 6 engines. Does that apply to 1.4TDI Rapid / Rapid Spaceback as well?)

Edited by Awayoffski

Thanks for all the comments so far. Looking at list prices, I would be comparing a Fabia Estate 1.2TSI (110) Monte Carlo against (having delved further and moved away from the SE Tech) a Rapid Spaceback 1.2TSI (110) SE Sport so that's £17505 for the Fabia and £17515 for the Spaceback (Both in Corrida Red). £10 difference. In reality, relative cost is secondary, how much I'm going to enjoy is the primary concern. I sort of feel that the Fabia (in fact any estate) is a bit too much Dad! (My 78 year old Dad has had estates for his last 4 cars) and the Rapid is IMO much nicer looking however, I do care about ride quality and comfort so feel that given the 2 options listed, the Fabia may well be the better from that point of view. Not sure I can live with the rather garish interior though. 

The interior is rather marmite, or Deck Chair, 

as is opinions on the comfort / ride so best maybe read the Fabia Mk3 section and threads with members having issues with that.

16" wheels might be what you want and not the Monte Carlo interior.

On 03/04/2017 at 19:28, Awayoffski said:

On 03/04/2017 at 21:19, davidwhite said:

RickTT

pardon me I assure you and any other rapid owners I wasn't dissing the car just stating that the fact that the rapid is built on an old VAG platform compared to the mk111 Fabia and as above its not a fair comparison se sport rapid spaceback vs base Fabia estate, that's just not cricket old chap.......

I meant base spec Monte Carlo.  --Rapid SE Sport v Fabia Estate Monte Carlo....   (i was typing on phone... )

When you compare these models there is not much in it RRP price wise and the SPEC on the rapid is fair greater, plus a nicer seat colour combo

Edited by RickTT

Had a look at (and sit in) a Rapid Sport today. The seats are so much better than the Fiesta and the boot space is huge by comparison, also love the Pano roof. Going to test drive one on Sunday and then probably buy. However, it won't be from the nearest dealer. Spent 2 hours in there and got down to £272 a month (PCP) which as I do 20k a year isn't bad but more than I wanted and they wanted £500 cash as well as my Fiesta.

Their initial price was £321 a month! 

Contacted another dealer about 20 miles away and within 15 minutes had a price of £263 a month and no cash required saving £878. Admittedly the first dealer was selling me a car with a space saver spare wheel, the Cruise control speed limiter option and the Auto lights/wipers (£300 worth of options I didn't ask for they just happened to be on one they had on the way and a space saver wheel I did want but will do without). So still £500 dearer than the other dealer and way more hard work. Took 3 attempts to get it down to £272!

If I do order on Sunday it will be a 1.2 TSI (110) SE Sport in Corrida Red. :-) 

Edited by dazedandconfused
Added detail of model
  • Like 1

Unfortunately because as standard it has the Darkened Cornering fog lights the LED is only available as a £195 option. While I agree they look good, it's a lot of money (and delay to delivery) just for LED DRL's.

As they use H15's for the DRL I'll just put the Osram Cool Blue intense that are in My Fiesta in. While I'd like LED DRL, I'm not going to pay £195 and add about 8 weeks to delivery for them. 

Edited by dazedandconfused
  • Like 1

Well the deal is done. In about 3 weeks I will be the proud owner of a Skoda Rapid Spaceback 1.2 TSI 110 SE Sport. In Corrida red. :biggrin:

Test drove one today and I can honestly say, there is only one place I would consider the Fiesta better and that is the sharper handling that it has but the dealer we went to is on an trade estate type place (Lots of car dealers a various trade supplies type places etc) where the roads are rather rough and it handled all of that far better than the Fiesta. I even hit some quite bad potholes deliberately and they weren't that bad. I would agree with the reviews though in that it's not as involving a drive as the Fiesta but everything else about it, especially the comfort, is such an improvement that I can live with that. It may even slow me down a bit and that's no bad thing. :blush

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davidwhite said:

Hope you enjoy your 'new?' car hopefully you will keep us updated, seriously I hope it it all goes without issues, enjoy.

Yes it's new (ish). Currently sat at the docks in Germany. Don't know when it was manufactured though.