Notchy Gearbox 1.2 TSI 110

9Hello folks, 

Just a quick one really, I picked up my 1.2 TSI 110 Monte Carlo estate on Monday and have noticed when going into 1st or 2nd gear that there is a very noticeable notch about half a centimetre before the end of the gearstick travel. As a result if the gearstick isnt pushed all the way to full travel it slips back out of gear. 

I few times this week it slipped out and I heard the horrible crunching of a non-engaged clutch.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just mine? Worth taking it into the dealer.

Cheers

Sean

Is it brand new? Sometimes the boxes can be very slightly stiff or notchy for a few hundred miles. However, if it is slipping out of gear due to this difficulty then I'd let the dealer know. It may not need anything doing other than driving for a few hundred miles or even a thousand or two. Boxes can take a time to run in. It could be that the gearchange cable needs adjusting. Actual gearbox issues are rare though so don't panic! It's not a sign that anything is necessarily wrong.

Thanks chaps. It is indeed brand new, off the ferry and picked up from the dealer last Monday, up to 240 miles on the clock now.

When I first drove it today it seemed to have disappeared however on the way home tonight it was noticeable again. 

When it's in gear it stays put with no issues, but getting it into first when sat at lights requires an extra bit of shove to overcome this 'notch'/roughness. 

As you say, it may be due to it still settling in but having come from a Focus ST that only needed to be nudged in the right direction it's caught me out a couple of times. 

'Old'.

With new and now and the biggest car manufacturer in the world you should not have to beat your vehicle into submission.

But do read the Owners Manual and allow for some 'Driving in' and allow that mechanical parts do sometimes need to get used easily for a period,

and need getting used to, but if some adjustment is required to how it was manufactured and came off the production line have that done sooner rather than later.

They aren't the smoothest gearboxes in the world, mines at 8k now and still a bit sticky sometimes.

You just cant rush them, you have to be quite slow changing gear.

And, often it's not the gearbox, it's a slightly lazy clutch disc sticking a bit on it's splines. Makes selecting first and sometimes reverse gear a bit difficult and you can feel it baulk a little on going into second from first gear. Higher gears are normally ok. 

Many thanks all, 400 miles on the clock in two weeks and it's less noticeable (or I've stopped caring so much). Shall keep an eye on it but it's nothing major and certainly hasn't put me off the car!

Yesterday I had a test drive in a Fabia TSi  1.2 Manual and they will have a 1.2 TSi 110 BHP DSG next week for a drive.  The gear change on the manual was appalling.   It was like stirring a bucket of water with a cricket bat.  It was quite simply the lousiest sloppiest gear change I have ever used.  And the salesman seemed quite upset when I advised him to put it straight into the workshop for attention.

It was a complete oddity I suppose.  They are not all like that are they ??!!

I feel quite glad I really want the DSG version.  The change on my Rapid TDI is perfect touch wood.

2 hours ago, HopeImRight said:

Yesterday I had a test drive in a Fabia TSi  1.2 Manual and they will have a 1.2 TSi 110 BHP DSG next week for a drive.  The gear change on the manual was appalling.   It was like stirring a bucket of water with a cricket bat.  It was quite simply the lousiest sloppiest gear change I have ever used.  And the salesman seemed quite upset when I advised him to put it straight into the workshop for attention.

I feel quite glad I really want the DSG version.  The change on my Rapid TDI is perfect touch wood.

Drove the Wife's Fabia about 60 miles today and the gear change on the 6 speed box was fine, so I can only assume there was a fault with the box on the car you test drove. You won't have a problem with the DSG as it does it all for you unless you use it in manual.

12 hours ago, HopeImRight said:

The 6 speed manual on ours is smooth and precise. The DSG is good but a pity you didn't try another manual to compare.

2 hours ago, 2slo said:

The 6 speed manual on ours is smooth and precise. 

+1.

Had to go out this morning, so I took extra note of the gear change. It was smooth and very precise as you would expect.

I find the gearchange superb with the speed of the shifts only limited by how quickly you can move your hand. All the Skodas I've owned have had excellent gearchanges particularly the 6 speeders!

I'd go as far to say the best gearboxes I've ever used.