Goodyear F1 Asy3 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4

Chappers.

The front tyres on my 2014 vRS Cr are getting ready for replacing (currently running factory fit Bridgestone S001). When I had my mk2 Octy the GY F1 Assy2 was the tyre choice and i was very happy with it when I had then fitted, however version 3 is now out (with mixed reviews).

I've narrowed the choice to either the new Goodyear F1 (3) or the Michelin Pilot Sport 4. Anyone had experience of either on the vRS, and what are your views. What is the rim protection like as well.

Advice willingly accepted.

Hi Chappers,i have both these tyres on my vehicles,neither a VRS but 2013 150ps elegance estate and a 2013 golf cabby the Skoda has Goodyears on but they have only done a few hundred miles,i`m pleased with these,much quieter than the previous Falkens and seem to hold well in the dry although i haven`t tested them in the wet,the rim protection seems better to me than the MPS 4`s which on the 138ps golf hold great in both wet and dry,i find a drone from these tyres on the same roads,not too intrusive although it`s there just on some roads and my wife as a tendency to compete with it,as already stated i don`t think the rim protection is so good,both these run on 225/45/17 and not as large as the VRS,sorry i can`t offer more but both are great tyres although the MPS 4 were quite a bit dearer (here on the Island anyway !)......Loopy.   

I have the Goodyear Asy 3 on my stage 1 diesel VRS and I cant fault them. Always plenty of grip in wet and dry conditions. They also give good feedback through the steering wheel and are quieter than other tyres I have tried.

Thanks folks, I'm 95% certain that it'll be the Goodyear that I end up ordering. The Asy2 I had fitted to my mk2 were very good so hopefully the Asy3 will be even better (plus they're cheaper than the Michelin's). 

Quite amazed I've managed 17k on the factory supplied Bridgestone S001 and only just got down to under 3mm on the fronts, but they're harsh and noisy so looking forward to the change.

• 10 months later...

I've got exactly the same dilemma @Chappers. had, the PilotSport4 is about £20 a corner more than Goodyear F1 Asy 3, how did you find the F1s? I've got PS4 all round at the moment and I do love them, but the price difference is quite big when they don't even last 10,000 miles on the arse end!

My apologies fit but updating my final decision.

I bought the Goodyear's for the front but they were horrific. The were very soft and vague and ruined the feel of the car. The fitters to be fair made a hash of fitting them and after having one 'faulty' tyre replaced due to excessive vibrations and tracking issues they eventually gave up trying and offered me a full refund.

I then went for the PS4's at a different garage and couldn't be happier. Okay, they're more expensive and a bit noisy (probably no worse than the OEM Bridgestones) but feel and performance is great. 

I've not measured the tread depth properly but I'm expecting to match the 16-17k that I got from the OEM set on the fronts, but with more grip.

• Like 1

PS4s ordered (third set now, I really must stop driving in me steel toe caps)!

Chappers' comments coupled with other reviews saying the F1 Asy 3 was "excellent in wet and good in dry but they don't make me feel confident and I preferred my old F1 Asy 2" swung it for me; it's a fun RWD sports car and it's pointless saving £40 on pair of rears to find they scare me from pressing on. I'm just tight and thus annoyed that £240 of premium rubber is only gonna last 10,000 miles (that's nearly £2.50 in rubber every 100 miles)!

Edited by ckyliu

On 4/3/2017 at 08:29, Loopylil said:

here on the Island anyway !)......Loopy. 

Try the Protyre website for prices and they have a branch in Lake opposite Morrisons.

But order through the website for good prices.

Thanks AG Falco

PS4 sound good on paper, but I'm leaning more towards F1 AS3 as they seem to be quieter. 

Anyone had direct experience of both to comment on noise? The Octavia VRS seems to be quite tyre sensitive when it comes to road/tyre noise in the cabin.

3 minutes ago, ahenners said:

PS4 sound good on paper, but I'm leaning more towards F1 AS3 as they seem to be quieter. 

Anyone had direct experience of both to comment on noise? The Octavia VRS seems to be quite tyre sensitive when it comes to road/tyre noise in the cabin.

Yes.

The Goodyear is slightly quieter but it's not a vast difference. It's the road surface that has the most effect on cabin noise in my experience. The mk3 is not the quietest car out there.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Chappers. said:

Yes.

The Goodyear is slightly quieter but it's not a vast difference. It's the road surface that has the most effect on cabin noise in my experience. The mk3 is not the quietest car out there.

Yeah I agree. I cover quite a bit of motorway mileage and the noise on poor surfaces can be a bit grating sometimes, especially coming home from a late shift and not wanting to drown it out with music turned up to 11.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Chappers. How are you finding the PS4 tyres? I just got a set of 4 fitted yesterday but I haven't really tried them out as I want to bed them in a little before I do but I did notice they feel less crashy & even thou it was raining I did feel the grip is better, definitely can't wait to bed them in to actually see what they are really like.

Feel free to pass any info or if any info from this thread that people post might help out etc.

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/449368-boschnew-boots-fitted-ps4-225x40x18/?tab=comments#comment-5049522

They're great. I don't really think about them which must mean that they're doing the job well. Unless something fantastic gets released I'll be choosing the same again as & when replacements are needed.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

@VRS_Dan well tyres are still great today, been about 6 months from when I had them fitted & my tread is wearing evenly & is down to 6.8-6.9 as I just had a service & the tyre tread depth was recorded on the health check sheet. (Not sure if the tyres come with 9mm or 8mm tread depth?)

Check reviews out here

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4.htm

I think the longevity can be an issue? But like most tyres in today's market, it's all dependant on (A) how you drive (B) what type of driving/roads you are mostly on & (C) rotate the wheels once a year at least etc.

I should rotate mine but seeing that they are wearing very evenly I will probably rotate them in 6 months time (April 2019) I'm mostly around town driving with the few motorway journeys.

I would say you would probably get around 14k-20k depending on driving style, rotating tyres & common reviews left on that tyre review link.

Tyre longevity to be fair ain't something that really bothers me if I'm honest, as long as i can get at least 10k minimum out of a set then if they need changing then I just change them, I prefer how the tyre performs in wet/dry, handling/grip, comfort/noise in that order.

Even if I do only get say (10k-12k) minimum if I still have the vRS by then, I would definitely buy the PS4's again as I like the way the tyre performs for my driving style, I had Nokian weatherproof tyres before the PS4 & found them to be a very good tyre but the reason why I changed them to the PS4 is because I noticed all the Nokian tyres were cracking up around the sides & my wheel alignment was fine as this was done when the tyres were put on & checked again when I noticed the tyres were cracking up around the sides. The only thing I thought this could be was due to speed bumps (especially in London) I don't use tyre shine either & if I do then it is once in a blue moon (only the Meguiars endurance & use it properly) possibly not the correct climate for these Nokian tyres to cope with as they can cope with much colder climates.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/weatherproof/225-40-r18-92v-750849

I've just rotated the fronts to the rear after 10k miles and had a new pair of the same fitted to the front. Wear it's probably slightly more than I'd have liked but that is only by eye rather than using a tread guage. 

If expect about 15-17k miles from a set on the front alone, rotated I'm expecting a lot more.

PS4 on my car last about 9,000 miles on the rear (but it is rear wheel drive and I have been known to tail slide it a bit...) and probably double that on the front. Do note my car is very light though.

On 16/10/2018 at 13:00, Chappers. said:

I've just rotated the fronts to the rear after 10k miles and had a new pair of the same fitted to the front. Wear it's probably slightly more than I'd have liked but that is only by eye rather than using a tread guage. 

If expect about 15-17k miles from a set on the front alone, rotated I'm expecting a lot more.

I am liking the sound of this!!

I’m currently getting around 20-25k from a set of Asy 3’s with rotating half way through so this sounds good.

Thanks guys.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/10/2018 at 13:00, Chappers. said:

What did you do with the rears you took off ? Surely they would have less wear that the fronts you replaced them with ?

Fair enough. How did the car feel with Different tyres on the front and back ? I’m thinking of doing exactly this as I hate Bridgestones but don’t really see the point of changing the rears as they do so little work in comparison.

No problems with the Michelin's on the front/Bridgestone on the back - only changed the rears at 29k as one had a puncture and they had started to sawtooth slightly.

See my earlier post about Goodyear's though. Sidewall is too soft and ruined the steering response and made the car feel woolly to drive.