S3 owners - electric tailgate / hatch closing from inside

Would you pay for the rear hatch / tailgate to close from the button inside the car?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for the rear hatch / tailgate to close from the button inside the car?

• Yes, I live in Kent and would be happy to travel to Folkestone and pay for this to be enabled
    • I don’t live in Kent but would still be happy to travel to Folkestone and pay for this to be enabled
    • No, I live in Kent but this doesn’t interest me
  2. 2. How much would you be prepared to pay for this?

I am considering buying now also own VCP (Vag Can Pro) which can enable the hatch / tailgate to be able to be closed via the button inside the car by the DSG lever / gear stick.

Please fill in the poll and reply here.

Edited by Gizmo68
VCP now bought
  • Like 1

• Gizmo pinned this topic

Hi,

I have an SE L Exec on order and I would pay to have closing enabled if it also allowed it to be done via the key fob remote?

Only just across the water in Essex and often travel to France so Folkestone not an issue. No confirmed delivery date yet, though, so could be a few months...

Regards,

Matt :)

• Like 1

Hi Gizmo,

You already know I want this done, but maybe if you change the title to something tailgate coding related rather than Kent you might get more response. Don't live in Kent but happy to come down for coding, it will be a good excuse to drive down to the coast for the day in the new car (when it arrives). Got everything on the car that I mentioned, so happy for you to look at the MY2018 coding of the TSR etc. so you can get it working for anyone else that wants it.

Edited by knfruitbat
Bad spelling
  • Like 2

As a disabled driver, I would happily pay a reasonable amount for this.  The non availability drives me bloody mad.  Who in their right mind would design a facility to open the tailgate from inside, only to be unable to close it again with the same switch.  Sadly, I'm up in Scotland, but if I was closer, I'd be knocking on your door soonest !!    Cheers.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, knfruitbat said:

maybe if you change the title to something tailgate coding related rather than Kent you might get more response.

Point taken and title modified. 

• Like 1

It's going to take a while to recoup the cost with these skinflints looking at £10! 

If you did a group meetup somewhere a bit more civilised than Kent (:kiss:) I'd definitely pay £20+

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

It's going to take a while to recoup the cost with these skinflints looking at £10! 

If you did a group meetup somewhere a bit more civilised than Kent (:kiss:) I'd definitely pay £20+

:D

I never look to recoup all all the costs straight away, but VCP with its chargeable subscription for updates obviously changes this a bit. 

I also doubt that that anyone who has not previously had some VCDS coding done to their car would have just this coded anyway, there are several other things that can be done at the same time. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

I also doubt that that anyone who has not previously had some VCDS coding done to their car would have just this coded anyway, there are several other things that can be done at the same time. 

Good point - I can imagine you offering a 'menu' of adaptations according to the original spec...

• Like 3

I will start writing my list..........

Central Console Button

Rear Fogs both sides

Audio Alarm/Locking confirmation

Cornering Lights Speed Range........

Sure I will find a few more when the car actually arrives.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, knfruitbat said:

Rear Fogs both sides

To get both rear foglights working you need a European light cluster as well as coding as there are no LED’s in the N/S light.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

UPDATE

Interface ordered tonight, I will update this thread once it has arrived.

Good stuff! I might make one of my (regular) future trips to London in the car instead of the train and make a detour to come and see you at some point... :D

• Like 2

On 06/04/2017 at 19:06, Gizmo68 said:

To get both rear foglights working you need a European light cluster as well as coding as there are no LED’s in the N/S light.

Something else to go shopping for on the internet. Just had to run a wire from one cluster to the other on the current car, all the fittings were already there.

• Like 1

As per usual the bank holiday has got in the way of my VCP being delivered, it’s at my (not so) local DPD depot but will not be delivered until Tuesday :sadsmile:

Hi,

regarding the remote closing of the tailgate--- think its a safety feature ,if you push the close button & someone dives in at the last minute ............... ( kids ! )

That tailgate is HEAVY !

That’s what I put it down to also David, however on some models (Kodiaq for example) it closes from the same button out of the factory!

If an obstacle gets in the way then the sensors should stop the tailgate / hatch from closing, I know mine has detected me ‘being in the way’ several times.

On my car the button now needs to be constantly pressed to close, if you take your finger off the button then it stops closing... not what I really wanted BUT having thought about the safety aspect it’s something I am happy to live with.

Obviously with anything like this with kids around, supervision is key IMO! 

• Like 1

During the training for our Sokda sales crew, it was mentioned that, if somebody is put his hand in the area between the top of lid nad the telescope point of mounting (there is maybe 15-20cm) - the fingers will be cut off. The lid drive is not that sensitive to stop. That is why they do not decided to allow to activate it in factory. I have this option activated via vcp, however the warning signal I left swithed on. Regarding the children ... the lid is stopping immediately with small resistance at the lower end - no worry, unless the kid is able to move without adult help.

6 minutes ago, Bud said:

Go for the world tour mate, it's only about 100 miles to Hampshire ;)

Well depending on dates and location I may be at the National meet :thumbup:

I do also travel around parts of the UK... but alas it’s always time critical so do not get the time to do coding on the road anymore.