S3 owners - electric tailgate / hatch closing from inside

Would you pay for the rear hatch / tailgate to close from the button inside the car?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay for the rear hatch / tailgate to close from the button inside the car?

• Yes, I live in Kent and would be happy to travel to Folkestone and pay for this to be enabled
    • I don’t live in Kent but would still be happy to travel to Folkestone and pay for this to be enabled
    • No, I live in Kent but this doesn’t interest me
  2. 2. How much would you be prepared to pay for this?

In my humble and probably ill-informed opinion,  electrically operated or not, kids getting their body parts caught in car doors and boot lids is not a new phenomenon no matter how attentive the parents. My fingers were crushed in the boot as a child and without hesitation I opt for activating the closing of the tailgate from the interior; at least there is an audible warning to alert all concerned.

• Like 4

a lot of manufacturers higher range models incorporate this system and to my knowledge there has never been any safety recalls and with manual opening closing any doors the risk is still the same as those little pinkys seem to unexpectedly get  everywhere they shouldn't be. I cant imagine how many A&E trips have occurred due to this.

As with most things in life parental guidance is a must in protecting those little fingers and for their safety in general

On my Kuga it has the button both on the tailgate and inside the car, not sure if the S3 has this but normally everyone is in the car strapped in before the lid is operated from inside

What I am undecided on is whether there should be a button on the fob as there is a possibility in opening the tailgate as you approach your car from a distance as someone walks past or a car drives past at that unexpected moment especially on shopping trips, supermarket car parks etc

Other than this imo it is a practicable/safe option, but as with most things in life we all differ and entitled to our own opinions.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

@muddyboots, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however I am not activating anything that is not already offered by Škoda on another model (Kodiaq)

I suppose thats why you have to keep the button pressed whilst it is closing, if you take your finger off the button then the hatch / tailgate will stop closing. 

@FRSkoda that's a good point, incidentally you do not need to leave it in reverse as the camera will stay on until you get to (IIRC) 6 MPH. 

Fair enough :)

Just check (if you haven't already) that closing from inside the car and/or keyfob doesn't engage death-crush mode, and the resistance sensor is active.

Just saying as I know that death mode can happen in some circumstances when you use the button on the tailgate itself (eg second attempt after it's automatically stopped once).

2 hours ago, muddyboots said:

I suppose thats why you have to keep the button pressed whilst it is closing, if you take your finger off the button then the hatch / tailgate will stop closing

My kuga came from the factory with one touch closing from inside, I don't know if skoda come from the factory this way in other markets and optional vcds programming only enables one touch closing.

From my Kuga point of view I have no issues on safety aspect, nor do I see any issues with a car that was designed with this function from the factory other than being able to operate via the fob from a distance, and tbh see no issues on the S3 given certain markets come with the function activated

I live in Lancashire, and would be willing to pay more than £30 for this function but can't travel that far :sadsmile:

Edited by drewellis

• 3 weeks later...

Unlikely due to work commitments (would not know for sure until Friday)

Currently this does not work on the latest (J) controllers anyway. :sadsmile:

@Gizmo - I think I remember you saying you'd be at the National Meet in September. If I can make it I might ask you to do the boot lid mod for me whilst I'm there if that's OK. I have a stock SEL (17MY) without the all-singling front camera - are there any other mods you'd recommend at the same time?

It’s the revision of the controller they started with E, then went to G and then in 2016 moved onto J.

There is a possibility that a J controller can be coded, but I am awaiting on some more confirmation (a few owners in Germany have got it working) 

5 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Take a look here too see what you fancy 

Unfortunately MY17 will have a ‘J’ controller for the tailgate and currently there is no file available to make it close from inside the car.

Damn - I thought it was MY18 only. Thanks - I'll take a look and see if there's anything else of interest....

Ok there IS a coding file to make this work on the J controller, the tailgate / hatch will work as fully intended, however as the coding was intended for a VW Touran (with the same part No. controller) it will show a fault code that it is coded incorrectly (but as I say it works perfectly).

If you are happy with the fault code being logged (which should only become apparent when the car is scanned) then this option is available to you...your call. 

4 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Ok there IS a coding file to make this work on the J controller, the tailgate / hatch will work as fully intended, however as the coding was intended for a VW Touran (with the same part No. controller) it will show a fault code that it is coded incorrectly (but as I say it works perfectly).

If you are happy with the fault code being logged (which should only become apparent when the car is scanned) then this option is available to you...your call. 

That's encouraging - at least we know the controller can be coded in that way, I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before a fully compatible superb j code solution is produced... 

7 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Are there any potential warranty issues with having a fault code showing do you know, or is it just that when it goes in for service they're likely to see if and revert back to the original coding? Just not sure what the implications are or could be...

So far, the only other mod I've seen that is possible for a standard SEL that I'd like (but not essential) would be for the rear LEDs to come on with the front DRL.

Edited by CheshireBumpkin

I doubt the dealer would really notice TBH, yes they will see the DTC (if they do the service properly) if they did then providing the tailgate was opening and closing correctly (which it would be) then they would IMO look no further 

I have lost count of the amount of brand new cars (less than 100 miles on them) I have coded that have loads of DTC's because they have not finished the PDI correctly. 

I wouldn't offer the dealer the info that it had been coded though... unless they specifically asked. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gizmo said:

I doubt the dealer would really notice TBH, yes they will see the DTC (if they do the service properly) if they did then providing the tailgate was opening and closing correctly (which it would be) then they would IMO look no further 

I have lost count of the amount of brand new cars (less than 100 miles on them) I have coded that have loads of DTC's because they have not finished the PDI correctly. 

I wouldn't offer the dealer the info that it had been coded though... unless they specifically asked. 

That sounds sensible - I'll just act dumb if they mention it. It comes naturally to me... :)

I'll give you a shout nearer the time when I know for sure if I can make it. Thanks.

Hi. Does this mean that it will not currently work with MY2018 cars?

Gizmo I am going to Cosford so if you want a scan of the car with most of the options you are more than welcome.

In my mind this is a must have as to date I have accidently opened the tailgate while trying to stop the sensors beeping madly in heavy traffic at Archway in London, and had the same thing happen on Upper Thames Street also in London where the sensors were activated by a combination of narrow lanes and enormous central reservation barriers (anti terrorist I think). It is easy, for me at any rate, to confuse the buttons while keeping focused on the traffic. Driving in central London with the tailgate up in rush hours attracts a certain amount of attention!

Gizmo

L+K 220 petrol blue early 16 plate. Is this before the J code update?  I have to go to Hastings on occassion can I let you know so we can maybe do update.

On 02/08/2017 at 16:19, Dominoe said:

Gizmo

L+K 220 petrol blue early 16 plate. Is this before the J code update?  I have to go to Hastings on occassion can I let you know so we can maybe do update.

Looking at the scans of the 10x S3’s I have coded I have come up with the following:

Nov 15 (65 Plate) G controller

Nov 15 (65 Plate) J Controller

April 2016 (16 Plate) G controller

May 2016 (16 Plate) J controller

October 2016 (66 Plate) J controller

January 2017 (66 Plate) L controller

So we also now have another controller! ‘L’ to contend with as well, VCP has nothing at all (even for a different model) for the L controller

@Dominoe as you can see a very early 16 plate was a G controller, but in May (if not before) this changed to J

The only way to tell is to scan the car.

Edited by Gizmo

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...