Rear American Light with VCDS

I think it looks pretty good and is an even safer version of the standard indicator. In fact I think its the best of both worlds, as the true american indicator often doesn't even have the orange, just the red brake light on/off. How can drawing more attention to your intention to turn be a bad thing? If I can get the coding I will definitely try it.  

Presumably you just add another function to the rear lights. Blinking in opposite phase to the turn signal.  But I'm no expert. 

I also think it looks complete guff. Just as bad as the front DRL blinking in phase/opposite phase to the turn signal. 

Not sure it really aids safety either. Everybody knows that a flashing amber light is a turn signal. Nobody knows what alternating amber/red flashing is. Just looks like there is an electrical fault. IMO, anyway. 

When I was setting up my Leon front DRL's to slightly dim in phase with the turn signal, I inadvertently managed to get one line of coding wrong. That resulted in the opposite light to the indicator being turned off as it flashed! Now that did look totally stupid.

I will see if I can find that information and then you can maybe deduce the settings for the rear lights. :thumbup:

• Like 1

I know a few guys in the Car Test Center and I'll check with them if it would pass an NCT test.

Considering Semaphore Indicators are still legal :-)

(12) (a) A semaphore type indicator shall consist of a movable arm fitted to the side of a vehicle which, when in operation, temporarily alters the outline of the vehicle at the point to which it is fitted by at least 6 inches laterally when the indicator is fully extended.

Only legal requirement I can see that is relevant is that there must be an amber indicator. 

As regards how it looks, well that's a matter of taste and personal preference - not sure myself whether I would like it or not yet, but would like to try it.  Then again some think my Meteor Grey is a horrible color, personally I would never want to own a different color, I'll be gutted if its gone if I want to change in a few years. 

• Like 1

I thought I'd got some printouts but they're not staring me in the face at this moment in time.

A quick search found these links but use them at your own risk. It might pay to read the following pages to ensure no additional problems were encountered though.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4513669&postcount=128

https://translate.google.co.uk/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.stemei.de%2Fpages%2Fcoding%2Fseat-leon-5f.php&edit-text=&act=url

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showpost.php?p=4602108&postcount=285

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, me too.

Both those YouTube videos look fine, because its dark.

Flashing the tail light on and off instead of the much brighter brake light (as per the Leon) during the day will make things worse visibility-wise surely?

At least the Octavia still utilised the amber indicator. Unfortunately for me it would look more like a wiring / electrical fault, not a neat feature.

One of the very few disadvantages of public access to VCDS.