Nugget's Felicia 1.8t Project

nu99et18

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, what a weapon! :o

Can you give us a bit more detail/pictures of the driveshafts? I'm looking to do a 1.9tdi conversion complete with mk4 golf gearbox, so I will need to do the same regarding driveshafts.

What Polo shaft did you use? Did you bore the hubs to accept Polo CV's instead of the M24 washer?

Thanks, Richard. 

I changed to the Polo shaft as i sheared the end off the repro Mk2 golf Syncro driveshaft 404mm i used originally. (Found out after they couldn't guarentee it over 200bhp!) 

Anyway the Polo shaft is from a 6n and is 420mm overall in length. But i had to put it in the lathe to take about 2mm off the shoulder so i could get the circlip on the end. (Inner cv end)  Still not 100% happy with the length i think it's a tad too long but it will do for now!

Drivers side i used a b3/b4 passat driveshaft 688mm.

I did originally bore the hubs out to accept the cv's but decided it may have weakend them too much so gone back the M24 washer method and my old hubs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On Tue May 23 2017 at 10:07, S27VEJ said:

Ive had a few felicias in my time, and this is a cracker!

Doesn't the sump sit a bit low?

Yeah it did sit pretty low to the floor so i decided to fit some 15mm engine raisers and now clearance is acceptable. I could always get more clearance by fitting the shallow hybrid aluminium/steel sump.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not really much to update on as i've mainly just been driving the car putting miles on it to find any issues. I have now done over 750 miles and so far had no issues at all really! I suppose the only thing is it runs a little hot in traffic and the top suspension mounts are pretty worn. 

But i'm tempted to add vents to the bonnet or raise the rear of it to let some heat out the engine bay.

Anyhow i have done a few  little things. 

I decided to add a turbo blanket again to help with bay temperature.

20170615_144702_zpsvthum2pz.jpg

Next i made a heat sheild as i was a little paranoid of things getting hot, the swirl pot, throttle cable and some wiring loom, this should offer them some decent protection.

20170617_124318_zpsj2ierhuw.jpg

I decided to upgrade to vibra technics engine mounts, the standard ones were ok but i don't think they would last long once it's remapped. Whilst fitting these i also moved the engine back in the bay about 15mm ish.

20170609_155953_zpsttsgst37.jpg

20170609_160015_zpstumcpv0t.jpg

I've also got some polybushes for the lower dogbone mount but haven't got round to fitting those yet.

Getting back to those worn top mounts i think even when new they are poor so i've decided i'm going to convert to Ford Sierra top mounts. Reason i chose Sierra is i run Mk1 Focus coilovers and they are a direct fit to Sierra top mounts and there are a good selection of polybush top mounts, solid mounts and adjustable mounts for Sierra. 

For now i've opted for some of the polybush ones and i'm going to weld the Sierra "top cups" to the Felicia turrets.

I can also raise them slightly so this way i can stay low but still have some suspension travel.

20170618_124816_zpsyrk6jogz.jpg

That's all for now!

Edited by nu99et18
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Little update

On the weekend me and my mate did the Suspension turrets, basically the standard Felicia ones are rubbish so needed a solution. So had some top cups cut from a scrap Ford Sierra which are then welded to the Skoda turrets which then enables me to use Sierra top mounts with my Mk1 Focus coilovers.

First we measured both turrets and cut a hole in the top.

20170709_154832_zpstqlt03h6.jpg

Then we put the cup up in position from below (as we thought it would be stronger than just welding the cup on top) and welded inplace once happy with its position. 

Credit to my mate for some nice welding!

20170709_163354_zpsfehjx0s3.jpg

Then we gave it some paint and at some point it will get some Tiger Seal.

20170709_163601_zpspwrscjd4.jpg

Then finally assembly with the Sierra polybush top mounts.

20170709_171611_zpsaoitoek4.jpg

Have to say it is a massive improvement, no more sketchy movement when driving, well worth the effort.

Unfortunately now the original strut brace no longer fits because it won't fit over the Sierra top plates!

So next things i want to do is get a front strut brace from something else and make it fit and also fit a rear strut brace which i've already bought.

Also i've covered approx 1200 miles.  That's all for now.

Edited by nu99et18
Spelling mistakes!

• 3 months later...

Been a while since an update, annoyingly Photobucket images don't work anymore so I'll have to try add all the pictures again but it won't let me edit!?!

Anyway i haven't had to do much to the car at all; done over 2500miles and it's always started first time, never overheats and everything works as it should. 

The car is nearly ready for remapping however before this i need to uprate the clutch so I've bought a 6 paddle vr6 clutch rated to 440flb and a pinion brace to prevent the gearbox case cracking (common problem on high power 02j gearbox)

My friend may be buying the Gt2860rs turbo from me meaning i can upgrade, thinking a gtx2867r or gtx3067r which will both do near 500bhp but i won't be going that high, probably aim for somewhere between 420-450bhp.

Onto a couple of jobs i got done on the car, the mk2 golf 8v radiator i originally fitted was a used rad and it started leaking so i bought a mk2 Scirocco aluminium radiator, along with this i bought a aluminium shroud with twin 10" fans and made it fit the Aluminium radiator. 

20171021_140403.jpg

Quite a tight fit with a twin core radiator and twin fans.

20170825_153640.jpg

20170825_153656.jpg

I thought i may aswell change the rear suspension top mounts too to polybushes and at the same time fitted a OMP rear strut brace. Welded brackets to rear turrets and bolted strut in place.

20170831_163939.jpg

20170831_163904.jpg

Next i had a 80mm aluminium MAF housing made, was using a 3" Vr6 MAF but internally it's only 2.75" so the 80mm should help things flow better.

20170902_151140.jpg

Lastly i bought a strut brace for a mk2 Golf and made it fit the Felicia,cut the brackets supplied in half and welded them to the front turrets, shortened the bar and bolted it on.

Looks the part also this is how the engine bay currently looks (not fitted the aluminium MAF yet)

20170825_153626.jpg

20170720_120917.jpg

20170720_115920.jpg

Edited by nu99et18
  • Like 4

• 4 months later...