Android Auto

So, I had my phone stolen at the weekend (it was my birthday, alcohol was involved...) and so I've got a new OnePlus 3T to replace my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (yay for insurance!).

And wow. The vagarities of connecting with the Samsung are gone. OK, so I've only had the phone a day, but it has been behaving much better than the Samsung ever did. I wonder if the Samsung was trying to communicate via both Android Auto and MirrorLink, as it was always stuttery on the screen, and awkward to connect. My OnePlus connects right up almost immediately, and is far slicker when using Android Auto- all the animations are smoother, there's much less lag from the touchscreen, and just overall the experience is far better.

The only downside is that I've had to buy some new USB cables as the OnePlus uses USB-C, not the old Micro-USB like older phones. 

Just thought you guys might want to know, if you're looking for a new phone that works well with your Fabia!

• Like 1

Guest Mikeee324

I had the same when i moved from a nexus 5 to a OnePlus 3. The difference is amazing.

With my Nexus 5 there wasn't really any animations, you tapped on the things at the bottom and it had to think about it a little bit then it would just flick straight to it.

Now it smoothly swaps the screens as i tap on things!

The GPS also seems a lot more accurate than on my Nexus 5, though i think it was on its way out..

Edited by Mikeee324

You've got me thinking about it now! What are the best apps that work with it? You talk about 'animations',what do you mean please?

Guest Mikeee324

The animations i talked about are when you switch between maps/music etc and it sort of slides the new screen over the top of the other one.

Scrolling with my finger actually works now too, on my Nexus i had to use the dial thing to move up and down because it never seemed to register sliding my finger properly.

9 hours ago, malcster said:

With or without the wire connected 

I was unable to find more details about this online, is this something that was introduced in Android 7.1.2? Also are you using Bolero or some other head unit?

Noticed the other day when phone was on the passenger seat that android auto started wirelessly 

Tbh never noticed it before so could be 7.1.2 update 

Our lass who had my old nexus 6p enrolled in beta programme has had 7..1.2 for a while now and she said that his it has been since update 

Oh and i have Amundsen unit 

Edited by malcster

3 hours ago, malcster said:

Noticed the other day when phone was on the passenger seat that android auto started wirelessly 

Our lass who had my old nexus 6p enrolled in beta programme has had 7..1.2 for a while now and she said that his it has been since update 

Ah I think this might have to do with the fact you have Amundsen, I think bluetooth has insufficient bandwidth for screen sharing but Amundsen has wifi that is probably being utilized for this purpose.

Are you using the wifi capability on the Amundsen unit? If not it could also connect via bluetooth first and negotiate wifi authentication on the background but you'll probably see wifi icon on your phone even if this is the case.

14 hours ago, malcster said:

Android Auto starts wirelessly for me every time I get into the car. No idea why.

• Like 1

Not sure if I'm reading this thread correctly? Android Auto is auto starting without the usb cable connection, but presumably just displaying on the phone, it's not also making the smartlink connection to wirelessly display on the car's infotainment unit is it?  If so I want a new phone, that would be smart!

On my phone there's a setting in Android Auto > Settings > Auto-launch, which enables auto starting when the phone connects to the cars bluetooth.

Yes, Android Auto launches automatically when I enter the car but it doesn't connect to my Bolero unit wirelessly;wish it did.