Possible disfunctional Heater Core?

Hey there fellow Superverts! 

Saw this little note on the General section and decided, because I dont know anything about this, to post this here: 

"This section is for general questions only... If the question concerns a Skoda model, use the model forums."

But yeah, my problem is that my Skoda Superb Elegance 2.8L V6 '04 keeps venting all the liquid from the liquid cooling unit through the AC causing the car to over heat. After overheating, I must wait for an hour or two in order for [something] to cool completely and then I can refill the cooling liquid. If not, then I can just as well pour the water on the ground because it seems to go straight through the car when he's too hot...

I thought it was a blown gasket but after talking to a mechanic about this today, I found out that the "AC Element" as he called it(Icelanders tend to use weird words over stuff, not the regular names that is), which is probably the Heater Core, as I've read about on the internet, could be at fault and not the gasket. 

It costs around $5000 dollars here to replace the gasket and time lace(or whatever), replacing those two always seem to go hand in hand since, they figure, they're already tearing this thing apart, why not change that thing too while they're at it? 

So, in an effort to save around 5k dollars, which is almost as expensive as the car was when I bought it, is there a way I can find out if it's the Heater Core or not? Guarantee it, that is? 

If the gasket was bust, would the engine also vent hot steam through my AC vents? Or is this a closed case for the Heater Core? 

Lets say it's definitely the Heater Core, is it a big deal to get to it and replace it? Is the same one in all Skoda/Audi/VW? Or do I have to get a special one for an extra 300 bucks? 

Anyways, thanks in advance for your answers as I'm counting on them to be satisfactory. 

Thank you and have a great day Superverting around in your Superbs!