DON'T buy a 2017/18 150PS, 4WD, MAN, 7 Seat if you tow....

1 hour ago, Kenny R said:

Could be a misprint, did you check the plate on the drivers door pillar.

The driver's door sticker will only quote the maximum train weight, and that would be for the braked trailer.  This is particularly sneaky, as I would look at it and think "oh, it's OK for towing up to 2 tonnes".

1 hour ago, ahar said:

Quick update as Skoda are at it again with homologation.

I was looking to swap my 2019 Kodiaq for a 2022 one the dealer had in stock with a 200 PS TDI engine.  Luckily I checked - the current models with the 200 TDI engine are not homologated for unbraked towing.  The 150 TDI engine is, as is the TSI engine.  Just not the top diesel engine.  It is homologated for braked towing, to the same weight as the other engines.  

Very odd. Check page 30 of the brochure on Skoda website for details...

https://www.skoda.co.uk/_doc/5782ef00-768c-43df-8faf-51cba9730287

Gosh! I've never seen that before!  The things (from a homologation point of view) that limit towing capacity, are usually either brakes or hill start capability.  Clearly it is capable of doing a hill start with 2 tonnes on the back, so it's unlikely to be that.  At the same time, I'm struggling to believe that the 200 horse one would have less capable brakes than the 150!  Looking at the two asterisks, I see it has a note about towbar prep.  This suggests (to me at least!) that this is stuff-all to do with homologation, and that they're just hiding behind "homologation" as a reason.  I could believe that the 200 horse one might need cooling system mods for towing, but that's not a homologation issue.  Homologation is only about safety and environmental performance - both of which would be excellent, once your engine has blown up!  But then again, if it's a cooling problem, how could it be OK to tow 2 tonnes?!  Doesn't make sense at all...  very strange....

The Skoda configurator shows unbraked trailer towing weight for 200 hp diesel, so as my comment could be a mistake in brochure. Brochure has recently been updated and previous version showed correct towing weight also.

DA9BF00B-5173-4DBD-B347-F08826894DB6.png

F778D5C0-7A14-4556-9771-0181F38FD897.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Could this be the start of Skoda's recently communicated proposal of specifying zero towing capacities on the VIN unless the factory towbar preparation or towbar itself is fitted?

• 9 months later...

I'm just about to close the deal on a new-from-stock 'Kodiaq L&K 2.0 TSI 190 PS DSG 4x4'.

It doesn't have towbar prep, and the dealer has told me they can't fit a Skoda folding towbar, because no suitable kit for that exists.

However, the VIN plate shows it has towing capacity (presumably braked) of 2000kg:

Kodiaq-VIN.jpg.424980a2b17c895ffeedf7908c3cc58b.jpg

and the latest brochure lists 750kg unbraked and nose weight of 100kg.  So perhaps Skoda aren't yet zeroing the VINs for cars without towbar prep?

So, for this car, am I right in thinking I could get an independent to fit a towbar without any issues?  If so, I'd go ahead and buy the car. If not, then I'll keep looking.

15 minutes ago, Yearofthegoat said:

I'm just about to close the deal on a new-from-stock 'Kodiaq L&K 2.0 TSI 190 PS DSG 4x4'.

It doesn't have towbar prep, and the dealer has told me they can't fit a Skoda folding towbar, because no suitable kit for that exists.

However, the VIN plate shows it has towing capacity (presumably braked) of 2000kg:

Kodiaq-VIN.jpg.424980a2b17c895ffeedf7908c3cc58b.jpg

and the latest brochure lists 750kg unbraked and nose weight of 100kg.  So perhaps Skoda aren't yet zeroing the VINs for cars without towbar prep?

So, for this car, am I right in thinking I could get an independent to fit a towbar without any issues?  If so, I'd go ahead and buy the car. If not, then I'll keep looking.

Yes,  there's no legal problem with getting a third party towbar fitted.  Demand an EU "Certificate of Conformity" with the car.  That will give you a load of type approval data, specific to your car, including what it can and can't tow, braked and unbraked.

You might, however, run into warranty problems if anything goes wrong.

18 minutes ago, Avocet said:

Yes,  there's no legal problem with getting a third party towbar fitted.  Demand an EU "Certificate of Conformity" with the car.  That will give you a load of type approval data, specific to your car, including what it can and can't tow, braked and unbraked.

You might, however, run into warranty problems if anything goes wrong.

Yes, that's the bit that worries me.  The wording in the brochure under towing doesn't mention warranty implications:

Please note, if a tow bar or tow bar preparation is not fitted on the car, the VIN plate may not show any towing weights and the car will never be eligible for towing. As such it may not be possible to retrospectively fit a tow bar if the car is not fitted with tow bar preparation at Factory. Please speak to your Retailer
to confirm the exact towing eligibility.

But the warranty section 'Exclusions and limitations' mentions non-original replacement parts:

Damage resulting from the use of non-original replacement parts.

Haven't looked yet but maybe I can find the warranty Ts & Cs online.

• Like 1

I think you're right to be concerned.  Frankly, it's utterly ridiculous that a manufacturer should produce a vehicle of this type and NOT expect people to want to tow with it!  Ours has had an aftermarket towbar fitted (and actually seems to be a very good tow car), but was out of warranty when it was fitted.