DON'T buy a 2017/18 150PS, 4WD, MAN, 7 Seat if you tow....

As further info on the thread started by H1UBS and seeing how Skoda apparently won't fit a towbar and say an after market towbar is illegal on the Kodiaq 2.0 150PS diesels with 4WD, Manual gearbox and 7 seats.....

H1UBS's thread is here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/426198-tow-bar-options-when-factory-fit-not-available/

Product bulletin on this from Skoda Ireland is below:

Kodiak150ManNoTowDoc.jpg

How strange.

I was about to suggest it must be in relation to the 7 seats but then I see the 190ps 7 seat version is unaffected.

Could it be down to weight? And the lower powered 150ps?

29 minutes ago, Phil-E said:

I was about to suggest it must be in relation to the 7 seats but then I see the 190ps 7 seat version is unaffected.

It also says the 150ps, 4WD, man with 5 seats is unaffected.

So - its that last row of seats that seem to be the culprit. That makes me think it is not necessarily a total weight issue as the 7 seater with DSG is OK - and that's heavier (I would think?).

Therefore, I'd be thinking that the problem is how the weight might be distributed with 7 seats - especially if occupied. Perhaps this is a stability/weight distribution issue with Kodiaq configuration in the bulletin?

Its nothing to do with weight etc...unless they are saying that the manual gearbox and clutch are not "strong" enough for 7 people plus the max weight of the trailer.....  so its not homologated for towing as yet.... so fitting one is illegal.

Bet in a few months it will be approved with maybe a slightly less max towing limit... .. but existing cars will still be unable to fit an aftermarket one as per the plate on the car.

Edited by RickTT

Pre 98 it wouldn't have mattered, but now, it all has to be approved. I suspect (as said) it is more down to weight distribution, and possibly the affect on nose weight that is causing the problem. Does the suspension differ between the lower and higher horsepower? Maybe the higher powered models have the fancy active suspension/brake force distribution etc which would give trailer assist functions (think anti snake etc), where as the lower powered models don't benefit from the same systems. With a fully loaded car, on passive suspension (as an example) then the weight distribution with a loaded trailer and 7 seats occupied could adversely affect the brakes and steering, hence the lack of type approval?

To be fair though, the dealer should have been aware of this when selling the vehicle, so in theory, if you weren't told, and they knew you wanted to tow, then you could return the car as it isn't fit for purpose under consumer trading law (as they know that it isn't approved)

Skoda CZ gave no warning to buyers of Mk2 Fabia vRS 1.4TSI Hatch or Estate in 2010 -2014 that they could not have a towbar fitted for towing because they had not given weights with the Type Approval, but it was not the Type Approval as the Mk2 vRS was not type approved separate from other models, 

they just never gave the weights.

The Polo GTI, Seat Ibiza & Audi A1 with the same Engines, Gearboxes & all the other components other than the bodies were able to have Towbars fitted 

to allow towing as VW, SEAT & AUDI gave their weights for braked and unbraked. (& then VW, SEAT & AUDI had not put ballast weights on the rear crash bars or the hatchbacks)

Edited by Awayoffski

Simply Clever isn't it?

My Yeti tows more than a Kodiaq, is more powerful, has Xenons and leather, but I can't have any of that if I wish to use a Kodiaq - because to tow 2500kg it must come with a less powerful engine, only 5 seats and with wind up windows!

(I made that bit about windows up, but everything else is true...)

Come on Skoda - if I'm towing 2500kg it's probably because I've got loads of children (7 seats) or an expensive caravan (leather seats and xenons) or a heavy boat (which needs a powerful engine to haul it).

I feel particularly sorry though for those who bought a Kodiaq thinking it was a capable tow car - apparently not?

Stick with a Yeti then. "All The Car You'll Ever Need"

Don't feel sorry for me - I'm finding my crappy old Skodiaq is grunting along happily without a need to tow anything, but happily swallowing 6 people so far.

Edited by BoxerBoy

Just now, bigboss said:

Yes, the auto version is fine with a towbar.

So it's down to simply that specific combination..........fascinating 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

Don't feel sorry for me - I'm finding my crappy old Skodiaq is grunting along happily without a need to tow anything, but happily swallowing 6 people so far.

Not feeling sorry.....just very envious!

You have precisely the Kodiaq I want and in the best colour IMHO. I'd buy one just like yours tomorrow if it could match (or exceed) our Yeti's 2100kg tow weight.

If I sound grumpy it's just because I'm disappointed such a wonderful car can't meet our needs, but our Yeti's still fab and I've got another 12 months before our lease deal comes up...

...and my fingers crossed that Skoda will produce a 5 seat Vrs Kodiaq as a 190 DSG or 240 bi-turbo!

If towing is that important then surely you would check before buying and ask for the towing weights etc?

If the dealer then fails to provide the right information and tells you it can tow then turns out you can't then you would have a case against them. But to just buy a car then ask after the fact if it can tow seems a bit backwards.

While looking for new cars towing was a factor that I was looking into as I knew I would be wanting to tow at some point.

• Like 3

It'd be interesting to know if the sales staff knew of the anomaly. 

An important point that should have been made known to all of them simply to avoid a right bun fight.

Edited by Ryeman

It is just that it isn't type approved. As each model and variation needs to be type approved it's most likely a clerical error and this combination has been missed. Unfortunately fitting a tow bar to it yourself could have insurance implications. The Ford Mondeo ST220 had the same problem and you wouldn't get a tow bar listed for it from the suppliers but you could fit any tow bar so you had to fit one from say a Mondeo ST Tdci which would fit but you would have to declare a non type approved tow bar was fitted and pay the premium increase otherwise take the risk and hope you don't need to claim of your insurance when towing.

The spec sheets for the 150 diesel 4x4 manual show a dash for the 7 seat variation. A bit of a home goal for Skoda on what would have been a popular tow car. 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BzuN8YkhaIyZakFlWVNVWFJOWms   

Edited by CWARD

1 hour ago, Phil-E said:

If towing is that important then surely you would check before buying and ask for the towing weights etc?

If the dealer then fails to provide the right information and tells you it can tow then turns out you can't then you would have a case against them. But to just buy a car then ask after the fact if it can tow seems a bit backwards.

While looking for new cars towing was a factor that I was looking into as I knew I would be wanting to tow at some point.

I don't really buy that to be honest. I'd agree if I was looking to tow a monster caravan but I just want a towbar for a lightweight trailer or a bike rack. I've fitted a towbar to every car I've ever owned and I've towed the same littlw trailer with each one, right back to my Fiat Uno

Buying a car weighing 3 times that and 4 rimes as powerful I think I've got a right to expect it to be able to tow my tiny trailer! This is the first time I've ever heard that it's suddenly illegal to tow ANYTHING - and they think they can do this to us without so much as giving us a reason.

• Like 1

Anyone buying a Kodiaq as a keeper that they will own and that has no interest in ever having a Tow bar fitted for Towing or attaching a bike rack to need to keep in mind that maybe in 5 years time or when ever if they think of selling private they can be limiting the buyers that might be interested in their model.

Maybe even trade in values will be different for the model that can not have a tow bar fitted for towing.

Edited by Awayoffski
  • Like 1

The MK1 Fabia vRS was also not type approved to tow anything.

It was plenty powerful enough and the Fabia itself is perfectly capable of towing but was not type approved.

It happens. I'm sure there are many other cars that aren't type approved. I would never assume a car can tow anything.

Fitting a tow bar does not mean towing as their utility as a bike carrier mount is now significant.  This may appear to be semantics however a car's capabilities are what they are, it may be illegal to use some of them but they are still there, such as 150 mph speed capability. Greater clarity should be requested on the objection for fitting a tow bar, weight limit, lack of power, lack of type approval.

However arguing that logic with Škoda and the fitter or the insurance company may be difficult.

• Like 1

There is no arguing with EU Towbar Manufacturers or Towbar Fitters, they know the law on what they can not supply and fit to vehicles.

http://witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars/faq1.php 

I fit a Bike Rack mounting point though.

It looks very like a Tow Bar because actually it is a Towbar for fitting to identical bodyshells of the vehicle i have, just mine can not tow,

it can however have a Bike Rack fitted that goes onto what is a Tow Ball, or as i call it, A Bike Rack mounting point.

Edited by Awayoffski

I've just confirmed this same with skoda uk, they say you won't  ever be able to fit a tow bar.

its hat I've ordered and I wanted an aftermarket tow bar.

how do I deal with his now.

ild like some compensation from skoda, not my dealer,

• ColinD pinned this topic
  • Administrators

Duly pinned till the madness is corrected! How this slipped through beggars belief. For those who have ordered, I'd take some advice, then marshall into a thread here.

Should be similar outcomes for UK, IE, Sweden, Norway, France, anywhere this model sells ;)

• Like 1