DON'T buy a 2017/18 150PS, 4WD, MAN, 7 Seat if you tow....

Luckily for me I did seek clarification from Skoda before placing my order that despite not being able to have a factory-fit towbar, I could get one post sale. I was given that assurance and ordered. The worry came when just last month I noted that the Skoda configurator suddenly left the towing weights blank and I questioned why and posted here on my thread on the subject. Despite being incorrectly advised 3 times by Skoda customer services this week that I would be able to tow, it is only today (when presented with the product bulletin from Skoda IE about the lacking of 'Type Approval' did I get confirmation that there was a 'technical issue' that restricted the installation of a tow bar. It has obviously not been widely circulated within Skoda UK. Then I suppose " sorry, it's not an option on that model " sounds a lot better than " sorry, we've made a huge ****-up and haven't secured type approval for towing on this variant. "

Can I pay credit to this site, forumites and in particular to the contributors to my thread for helping to get to the bottom of this. My order is cancelled. This is a big issue for anyone who has ordered or bought a large SUV now finding out they can never fit a tow bar .. I just hope the famous Skoda Customer Service have an appropriate complaints strategy.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Ryeman said:

It'd be interesting to know if the sales staff knew of the anomaly. 

An important point that should have been made known to all of them simply to avoid a right bun fight.

He didn't when I ordered mine. He rang me a few days later to tell me Skoda 'head office' had told him that I couldn't have the tow bar on the manual vehicle. If I did, I'd have to have the automatic. I opted for the automatic and the threw in the heated windscreen for my inconvenience. 

37 minutes ago, Bignij said:

He didn't when I ordered mine. He rang me a few days later to tell me Skoda 'head office' had told him that I couldn't have the tow bar on the manual vehicle. If I did, I'd have to have the automatic. I opted for the automatic and the threw in the heated windscreen for my inconvenience. 

They need a sales reeducation programme 

30 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

They need a sales reeducation programme 

Or to offer buyers who have already ordered a Free upgrade to a DSG box or a buy back scheme at the price paid !

This kind of information on a vehicle of this type needs to be crystal clear when ordering.  Its understandable on a supercar or super mini, but not on a flagship 4x4.

Edited by RickTT

Just now, RickTT said:

Or to offer buyers who have already ordered a Free upgrade to a DSG box or a buy back scheme at list price !

That would require an admission of failure.......a novel experience 

• Like 2

On 13/04/2017 at 10:55, Bud said:

Fitting a tow bar does not mean towing as their utility as a bike carrier mount is now significant.  This may appear to be semantics however a car's capabilities are what they are, it may be illegal to use some of them but they are still there, such as 150 mph speed capability. Greater clarity should be requested on the objection for fitting a tow bar, weight limit, lack of power, lack of type approval.

However arguing that logic with Škoda and the fitter or the insurance company may be difficult.

The problem with this is with someone will potentially try to tow with it, because if it looks like a towbar then it probably is a towbar....

20 hours ago, BigfootW said:

I've just confirmed this same with skoda uk, they say you won't  ever be able to fit a tow bar.

its hat I've ordered and I wanted an aftermarket tow bar.

how do I deal with his now.

ild like some compensation from skoda, not my dealer,

Did you mention that you wanted to tow to the dealer? 

If you did then they have sold you a car that is not fit for purpose (to you), if you didn’t then it’s down to an error on your part for assuming the car would be OK to tow (to assume makes an ‘ass’ out to ‘u’ and ‘me’)

Škoda made it clear in the September 2016 brochure that the car you ordered could not be used for towing, the dealer however should have made this clear to you... providing you mentioned it to them! therefore potentially mis-sold you a car that was not capable of doing what you wanted it to do,

your contract is also with your dealer and not Škoda.

2 hours ago, bigboss said:

What's that { - } next to the trailer weights in the 4X4 option?

Look at the bottom [-] = applies to 7 seater, so it was always there in black and white that it was unable to tow.

• Like 2

Just for additional info, saw this on "Practical Caravan" from Jan 4th this year:

"Five- and seven-seat versions of the Škoda Kodiaq will be available, although not with all engine and gearbox combinations. The most powerful models are seven-seat only in the UK.

Frustratingly, this means reduced towing limits (down from 2500kg to 2000kg) and a lower maximum noseweight (dropping from 100kg to 80kg) for the 187bhp diesel compared with the five-seat version sold in other markets.

And, oddly, the 2.0 TDI 150PS manual seven-seater isn't homologated for towing at all. At first I thought this must have been an error in the data given to journalists, but Škoda tells me that most customers prefer to tow with the DSG auto."

Original article at: Practical Caravan - Hottest new tow cars

19 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

The problem with this is with someone will potentially try to tow with it, because if it looks like a towbar then it probably is a towbar....

Did you mention that you wanted to tow to the dealer? 

If you did then they have sold you a car that is not fit for purpose (to you), if you didn’t then it’s down to an error on your part for assuming the car would be OK to tow (to assume makes an ‘ass’ out to ‘u’ and ‘me’)

Škoda made it clear in the September 2016 brochure that the car you ordered could not be used for towing, the dealer however should have made this clear to you... providing you mentioned it to them! therefore potentially mis-sold you a car that was not capable of doing what you wanted it to do,

your contract is also with your dealer and not Škoda.

Look at the bottom [-] = applies to 7 seater, so it was always there in black and white that it was unable to tow.

Yes i I discussed an aftermarket tow bar with the dealer when i purchased

1 hour ago, BigfootW said:

Yes i I discussed an aftermarket tow bar with the dealer when i purchased

Then the salesman has mis-sold you a car that is not fit for (your) purpose, personally I would make them re-order the car that is fit for purpose.

What do you need the towbar for? if it’s ‘only’ for a bike rack then I certainly wouldn’t be putting them on the roof as there is a real chance of scratching the car whilst trying to get them on and off the car as it’s pretty tall!

Either way I would want the ‘compensation’ in the form of the dearer DSG car that can have a towbar fitted.

1 hour ago, bigboss said:

I've opted for the towbar for bicycle rack. Even I didn't fancy putting the bikes on the roof for exactly this reason.

Same reason really for my Superb too..

The only factor I can see that could make any sense of this apparent anomaly (7-seat, 150PS  DSG - OK to tow; 7-seat, 150PS  manual - no way) would be if there were substantially different rear suspension or brake components fitted to these two, identical models - Is this the case? 

Remember this is not only DSG vs. manual, but also 5-seater vs. 7-seater. 5-seater manual ok to tow with, 7-seater manual not.

I have 

9 hours ago, FinnFred said:

Remember this is not only DSG vs. manual, but also 5-seater vs. 7-seater. 5-seater manual ok to tow with, 7-seater manual not.

And also a 4x4 issue 

the exact same spec with 2wd is able to tow.

so it's literally just this exact spec.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

Then the salesman has mis-sold you a car that is not fit for (your) purpose, personally I would make them re-order the car that is fit for purpose.

What do you need the towbar for? if it’s ‘only’ for a bike rack then I certainly wouldn’t be putting them on the roof as there is a real chance of scratching the car whilst trying to get them on and off the car as it’s pretty tall!

Either way I would want the ‘compensation’ in the form of the dearer DSG car that can have a towbar fitted.

I just have a wee dog trailer that I use for taking the dogs out, (keeping them out of the car)

and also for dumping rubbish

and if I go camping we use it.

so in most cases a roof bar and box would do the job.

my Octavia mk2 which I'm still keeping has a tow bar, but I want to use my new car or when we go away, not the old one.

bikes I would still give a go on the roof.

i do t want a dsg.  Had I known this exact spec was an issue I would have got the bigger engine 

56 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

Surely a basic garden trailer load isn't too much.

An obscure installation issue?.

No, but a towbar is a towbar. Technically, you can attach a trailer to it. Even if you don't, the next buyer may.

Just for clarification on how the affected variants are vin plated .. could anyone who owns, views or test drives one, snap & post the actual vin plated weights. Its on the bottom of the B pillar to the left when opening the drivers door. What are the four plated weights ?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Confirmed via another thread VIN plates for these affected variants are VIN Plated 0 kg for towing. Should also be reflected in Section 4.O.1 of the Reg Doc. Can never have a towbar fitted.

Edited by H1UBS
autotext error

On ‎13‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:50, Phil-E said:

The MK1 Fabia vRS was also not type approved to tow anything.

It was plenty powerful enough and the Fabia itself is perfectly capable of towing but was not type approved.

It happens. I'm sure there are many other cars that aren't type approved. I would never assume a car can tow anything.

Come on Phil. Whilst I agree that you shouldn't assume anything, as stated earlier most folks buying something like a Kodiaq wouldn't give it a second thought that they couldn't tow anything with it at all, dependent on model.

A reduced towing capacity is one thing but this is just unbelievable and is just a mighty b*lls up by Skoda.

Chris

• Like 1