DON'T buy a 2017/18 150PS, 4WD, MAN, 7 Seat if you tow....

Just now, bigboss said:

None of them with an SUV style though.

And what has that got to do with it? Are you only allowed to tow with SUV's? Is it mandatory that all SUV's can tow?

Not all vehicles are homologated for towing. If you don't ask you have no-one to blame but yourself, why would anyone assume a vehicle can tow a certain weight, or tow at all? It isn't a requirement for vehicle manufacturers to type approve for towing.

At the end of the day, for some insane reason Skoda chose not to type approve one particular engine/gearbox/seat configuration of the Kodiaq. Perhaps they never thought they would manufacture that combination, and then the local importers (Skoda UK etc) decided they wanted that as an choice in the range ......

We will never know the ins and outs of this, but it was pretty clear from well before launch (and at the time the order books opened) that the towing weight for this particular combination was zero. Admittedly, dealers don't help themselves, but if you are buying for towing and it won't let you add a factory fit towbar as an option then alarm bells should be ringing loud and clear. Would you order one on the assumption that you can fit a towbar later if the vehicle manufacturer wont fit one at build?

2 minutes ago, andyvee said:

And what has that got to do with it? Are you only allowed to tow with SUV's? Is it mandatory that all SUV's can tow?

Not all vehicles are homologated for towing. If you don't ask you have no-one to blame but yourself, why would anyone assume a vehicle can tow a certain weight, or tow at all? It isn't a requirement for vehicle manufacturers to type approve for towing.

At the end of the day, for some insane reason Skoda chose not to type approve one particular engine/gearbox/seat configuration of the Kodiaq. Perhaps they never thought they would manufacture that combination, and then the local importers (Skoda UK etc) decided they wanted that as an choice in the range ......

We will never know the ins and outs of this, but it was pretty clear from well before launch (and at the time the order books opened) that the towing weight for this particular combination was zero. Admittedly, dealers don't help themselves, but if you are buying for towing and it won't let you add a factory fit towbar as an option then alarm bells should be ringing loud and clear. Would you order one on the assumption that you can fit a towbar later if the vehicle manufacturer wont fit one at build?

Just calm down here! :D

It doesn't affect me at all (I've ordered one with a towbar for a bicycle rack). In my mind, I will always think of an SUV as something capable of towing a caravan.....aren't SUVs the most popular cars for towing? This particular model of Kodiaq is the only one that bucks the trend.

I would suggest you tone your posts down a bit, because it can come across as insulting to other members.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, bigboss said:

Just calm down here! :D

It doesn't affect me at all (I've ordered one with a towbar for a bicycle rack). In my mind, I will always think of an SUV as something capable of towing a caravan.....aren't SUVs the most popular cars for towing? This particular model of Kodiaq is the only one that bucks the trend.

I would suggest you tone your posts down a bit, because it can come across as insulting to other members.

If you are insulted by my post then I apologise, that wasn't my intention.

Having said that, this entire thread should really just be a pinned post saying that the 150PS 4WD MAN 7 Seat is not homologated for towing. The rest of the thread is just noise, whining and assumptions.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, andyvee said:

Having said that, this entire thread should really just be a pinned post saying that the 150PS 4WD MAN 7 Seat is not homologated for towing. The rest of the thread is just noise, whining and assumptions.

The noise, whining and assumptions come from the fact that Skoda UK have been unable and/or unwilling to make the situation clear.

A large flagship SUV incapable of towing ? There must be some red faces .. hence the coverup !

• Like 1

The situation has been pretty clear - the published specs have never shown a towing weight for this variant and you can't add a towbar as a factory option, either on the configurator or the online tool.

The red faces will be with Skoda, not Skoda UK. Skoda UK are only an importer/agent, they don't manufacture vehicles or homologate them for towing. All the info they get is from Skoda, so if Skoda as a manufacturer have made a **** up and can't explain it, don't blame Skoda UK.

I must say, it is odd that they offer the 150PS with 4WD anyway, normal Skoda practice has been that only the most powerful diesel engines in the range got the option of 4WD. The whole thing stinks of Skoda not thinking there would be demand for a 4WD manual version of the lower powered diesel in 7 seat configuration, then someone in the marketing department listing it as an available configuration :)

It seems us car nuts aren't able to see the issue from a 'normal' persons point of view.

Unless a woman who likes a manual isn't normal.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dr_Pepper said:

But there's no manual 190 otherwise I'd have had it.

But DSG is the future. Skoda say so.

Seriously, my last 2 cars have been DSG and I wouldn't go back to manual. I get less then 5% difference in fuel consumption from a manual, so can't see the point of a manual box anymore.

The model choices Skoda Uk have made do seem a bit odd though, but I suppose they have to draw the line somewhere and you would hope they base it off of market research, but who knows!

Why Skoda didn't homologate the manual diesel does seem mad though.

I would have thought this particular version would be a significant seller as it is the desirable, for many, 7 seater diesel manual, for those who like towing occasionally but put economy above performance.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that SUK have listened and in the newly published June 17 Price list and Specifications have now made it clear that certain variants are not homologated for towing and can never tow. Well done Skoda UK !

Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 19.29.06.png

• Like 2

Well the spec if you look at the Max Loading Weight & the Minimum Kerb weight pretty well shows that if they had Homologated it for towing the weight would have been very low, lower than the 1.4TSI.

Good for only unbraked light trailers & pretty light braked trailer towing. 

Likely to cause more issues if a towbar was fitted and then owners towed over weight than just not being able to fit a towbar to tow.

(i am pretty sure some will anyway even if just for a Bike Rack, then some might end up using that to tow if on the vehicle.

Crazy EU grey areas are not homologated for a Towbar, but Bike Racks with towballs not mentioned.)

Transposing the figures available in the left-hand column, I wouldn't call 1800 Kg (braked) all that useless for the manual 7 seater - in my towing experience, including regularly towing an unbraked 4 meter ski-boat with a BMC Mini, you don't really require a lot of nose-weight for stability - especially if you use a stabiliser bar and the trailer is properly set up.     

1,800kg would have been OK for some if that was what it was given, less than that a bit of an embarrassment maybe.

I have just taken delivery of my SE L 150tdi 4x4 DSG with towbar and was disappointed that I couldn't have the towbar with a manual box however I have had a dsg on an Audi A3 before and didn't mind it. This one is far superior. It slips into neutral when not under load and then reinstates gear when the brake or accelerator is pressed knowing that you need control back. It also senses when you need engine braking (presumably from angle sensors which control hill descent control feature) as it puts it back into gear then too.

Not towed yet but going to the caravan this weekend so will hook it up to test electrics and that it fits my Alko hitch ok.

I must confess to skipping a couple of pages of this thread but the people that are talking about a 2100 (or is it 2500) kg towing capability of their Yeti's obviously don't look at weight ratios as a lot of cars will tow quite a heavy load but to do it safely you shouldn't really be exceeding the vehicular weight with the towed load. I can't imagine a Yeti weighs anywhere near 2100kgs.  Surprised I haven't seen a few more Yetis in ditches with caravans and speedboats attached (or not)!

NB: Loving the Kodiaq a week in. It's great. :-)

Kodiaq 1.jpg

Kodiaq 2.jpg

• Like 4

On 25 May 2017 at 13:18, GrahamTerry said:

I have just taken delivery of my SE L 150tdi 4x4 DSG with towbar and was disappointed that I couldn't have the towbar with a manual box however I have had a dsg on an Audi A3 before and didn't mind it. This one is far superior. It slips into neutral when not under load and then reinstates gear when the brake or accelerator is pressed knowing that you need control back. It also senses when you need engine braking (presumably from angle sensors which control hill descent control feature) as it puts it back into gear then too.

Not towed yet but going to the caravan this weekend so will hook it up to test electrics and that it fits my Alko hitch ok.

I must confess to skipping a couple of pages of this thread but the people that are talking about a 2100 (or is it 2500) kg towing capability of their Yeti's obviously don't look at weight ratios as a lot of cars will tow quite a heavy load but to do it safely you shouldn't really be exceeding the vehicular weight with the towed load. I can't imagine a Yeti weighs anywhere near 2100kgs.  Surprised I haven't seen a few more Yetis in ditches with caravans and speedboats attached (or not)!

NB: Loving the Kodiaq a week in. It's great. :-)

Kodiaq 1.jpg

Kodiaq 2.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

Hope you enjoy your new car and learn how to tow within its limits. I'd recommend being very careful about throwing stones - your car maybe larger than a Yeti, but Skoda deem it a less capable tow car (2100kg Yeti versus 2000kg Kodiaq) unless you've unfortunately bought the 150bhp weedy engined 5 seat version which looks best to avoid.

Obviously if you have experience, of towing or this forum, you'll not need helpful well intentioned advice.

Enjoy!

Edited by PirateSyrett

• 3 weeks later...

You all are wrong...

If you want to tow anything use this:

maxresdefault.jpg

It's even better offroad, and the cabin is sound proof which means you won't hear your children whining while they ride outside on the fender:P

There are no parking sensor though...

Edited by McGyles

• 5 months later...

Sniff, MB  got their  MB Trac in first, wot?, about say 40 year ago.

Never mind the Unimog.

But anyway.

(i)  I sat in a Kodiaq today, and was properly smitten, just need to wait another 5 to 7 years until the Octavia is Kaputt!

and

(ii) next car will be DSG, cos my left leg is not willing to return to this quite unnecessary clutching nonsense, and I dont need or want 4WD.

mth

hi,

have been through this,bought a 2.0ltr kodiaq 7 seat 150  tdi manual out of the showroom,i originally was looking for a 5 seat manual but none available in silver at the time.all my homework on the car was on the 5 seater,as i didn't want a 7 seater(until i actually looked at it at the dealership, liked the boot space).test drove it,as well as an automatic 190 just for the hell of it lol.paid deposit on it ,and was waiting 3 days to collect it.having asked the salesman about towing with the car,as i knew the 5 seat was ok,i thought i'd ask about the 7 seat just to make sure weights etc were similar to the 5 seat manual.he went away to another colleague,came back with figures and assured me it was ok. on asking if they could fit the towbar,he again went away,came back and said they could not actually fit the towbar,but knew a company that did,same one as i always go to so again thought all was ok.as everything was sorted,left the dealership to go home.nothing was ever mentioned about the 7 seat manuals been unable to tow as they were not homolagated for towing(not type approved)

the tow bar scenario baffled me,why could they not fit it????.i soon found out why,as it niggled me and on looking at the 7 seat manual versions on all models ,was absolutely numb.phoned the dealership,just caught the manager on way out and explained to him my dilemna....he said he would look into it in the morning,to which i replied i would be there first thing.got there ,everything was sorted,they agreed it had been mis-sold and duly tore up the contract,i ended up buying the 7 seat auto 190 sel.

having had a good conversation with the manager,he had found out that skoda had actually scored a massive home goal with these models,it actually had nothing to do with the cars innability to tow....the paperwork for type approval somehow did not go through for these cars,i would imagine they have lost millions and somewhere down the line heads would roll.