1988 Estelle 20v Turbo Quattro

Guest sters2000

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 21/05/2018 at 15:16, petergarforth said:

As various people have pointed out it should be put through IVA to make it legal. At some point the law may catch up with you and you will be in a world of trouble if it happens - not least because you’re not paying the correct road tax. The DVLA are not known for leniency or being reasonable! 

That was not my experience, maybe things have changed.

When I built a Westfield 7se I simply used an old log book that I had from a Frogeye Sprite that we thought had been long ago scrapped, I changed the engine size and also either the make or body type to Westfield, cant recall now, never had problems taxing insuring or MOT'ing it, then a decade later the Frogeye resurfaced after a restoration and they applied to the DVLA for a V5, I'm actually fairly certain that it was a ringer but less of a ringer than my Westfield was :D

Anyway the DVLA contacted me, sent out an inspector to do a check up, I was on a hiding to nothing because even the the prelit Westfield was based on a Sprite there was nothing on mine that even with my bull***tting could remotely be passed off as having once been on a Frogeye :speechless:

The guy said to me that he had inspected the alleged original Frogeye and whilst he had doubts about certain parts of its provenance it was more of a Frogeye than my Westfield was ever going to be :D

He just said I'm sorry but we are going to give you a Q plate for this vehicle and he was genuinely apologetic, I simply informed my insurers of the new registration number and that was that, did not cost me a penny.

I hope this brings some comfort to the OP although anyone brave and dedicated enough to create a vehicle like that is not going to be put off by a few armchair pundits.

A question for the OP, was the wheelbase the same on the Estelle as the TT? If not how did you adapt for the difference?

I have often said I would like a historic vehicle with more modern running gear, not really modern but the best period like your TT, you have given me inspiration.

47 minutes ago, J.R. said:

That was not my experience, maybe things have changed.

When I built a Westfield 7se I simply used an old log book that I had from a Frogeye Sprite that we thought had been long ago scrapped, I changed the engine size and also either the make or body type to Westfield, cant recall now, never had problems taxing insuring or MOT'ing it, then a decade later the Frogeye resurfaced after a restoration and they applied to the DVLA for a V5, I'm actually fairly certain that it was a ringer but less of a ringer than my Westfield was :D

Anyway the DVLA contacted me, sent out an inspector to do a check up, I was on a hiding to nothing because even the the prelit Westfield was based on a Sprite there was nothing on mine that even with my bull***tting could remotely be passed off as having once been on a Frogeye :speechless:

The guy said to me that he had inspected the alleged original Frogeye and whilst he had doubts about certain parts of its provenance it was more of a Frogeye than my Westfield was ever going to be :D

He just said I'm sorry but we are going to give you a Q plate for this vehicle and he was genuinely apologetic, I simply informed my insurers of the new registration number and that was that, did not cost me a penny.

I hope this brings some comfort to the OP although anyone brave and dedicated enough to create a vehicle like that is not going to be put off by a few armchair pundits.

A question for the OP, was the wheelbase the same on the Estelle as the TT? If not how did you adapt for the difference?

I have often said I would like a historic vehicle with more modern running gear, not really modern but the best period like your TT, you have given me inspiration.

I suspect you are talking about an experience from a by gone era.....the car is amazing...it looks fantastic and I've no doubt it goes like a train but its not remotely legal and I'd imagine the insurance is also null and void given the situation

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...