Yeti facelift headlights

Yeti333

Hi All, First post, new to Briskoda normally hang out on Pistonheads, but as I'm currently searching for a used Yeti I thought I'd join up.

Ive been looking for a 2014 face lift Yeti as I'm having a go and dragging a caravan about, and I've found an SE that fits my needs, 2.0 DSG 4x4 140.

My question is it only has normal headlights and not Xenons which I'm used to , What do people think of the normal lights? and are they a standard bulb i.e. could I fit night breakers to give them a bit more punch if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Yeti333

5 hours ago, Yeti333 said:

Hi All, First post, new to Briskoda normally hang out on Pistonheads, but as I'm currently searching for a used Yeti I thought I'd join up.

Ive been looking for a 2014 face lift Yeti as I'm having a go and dragging a caravan about, and I've found an SE that fits my needs, 2.0 DSG 4x4 140.

My question is it only has normal headlights and not Xenons which I'm used to , What do people think of the normal lights? and are they a standard bulb i.e. could I fit night breakers to give them a bit more punch if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

DSG's a good choice for towing, but if you're coming from an Audi S4 I recommend you try a 170bhp Yeti before you buy.

Our 2015, 170 4x4 Elegance was the run out model (before they went with the 150 ad blue version) and it's awesome! 

We've literally just (why else would I be posting at 0130?) got back from France having driven 871 miles in one hit and been over a mile high in the Alps! The 170 blows most everything else away, though aerodynamics blunt its acceleration beyond legal speeds, but it goes like a train. Xenons are way better than any of our Land Rovers/ Range Rovers and it tows our 2050kg boat astonishingly well.....

Our only gripe is that we can't replace it with another one just the same because the next Yeti (Ateca?) doesn't seem to get close and a Kodiaq in the same spec can't pull (tow) the top off a rice pudding!

Reckon you're on the right track but suggest you don't dive straight in with the first one you see.

6 hours ago, PirateSyrett said:

Welcome to the forum!

DSG's a good choice for towing, but if you're coming from an Audi S4 I recommend you try a 170bhp Yeti before you buy.

Our 2015, 170 4x4 Elegance was the run out model (before they went with the 150 ad blue version) and it's awesome! 

We've literally just (why else would I be posting at 0130?) got back from France having driven 871 miles in one hit and been over a mile high in the Alps! The 170 blows most everything else away, though aerodynamics blunt its acceleration beyond legal speeds, but it goes like a train. Xenons are way better than any of our Land Rovers/ Range Rovers and it tows our 2050kg boat astonishingly well.....

Our only gripe is that we can't replace it with another one just the same because the next Yeti (Ateca?) doesn't seem to get close and a Kodiaq in the same spec can't pull (tow) the top off a rice pudding!

Reckon you're on the right track but suggest you don't dive straight in with the first one you see.

Thanks for that , that's very interesting.

I am making inquiry's after a 170 today actually! But it's not a DSG

But I believe if I go for the 140 auto I can be re mapped to 170 :)

Haven't managed to figure out which versions have the adblue it's something I could live without really.

P.s. The S4 is staying the Yeti will be the other half's as her car has  just been written off.

The adblu models came in at the end of 2015.  If it's a 140 or 170 it won't be an adblu, if it's a 150 it is (assume you aren't interested in a 110).  Also note if you want Xenons, back in 2014 early 2015 it's an Elegance you need to look for.  The SEL replaced the Elegance in later 2015 but is essentially the same trim wise (2016 model which will also be adblu).  Top spec L&K is also worth searching out.

As said, the Facelift xenons are amazing - about the best headlights on any car I've owned including others with xenons and LEDs.

Edited by Falmouthboy

7 minutes ago, Falmouthboy said:

The adblu models came in at the end of 2015.  If it's a 140 or 170 it won't be an adblu, if it's a 150 it is (assume you aren't interested in a 110).  Also note if you want Xenons, back in 2014 early 2015 it's an Elegance you need to look for.  The SEL replaced the Elegance in later 2015 but is essentially the same trim wise (2016 model which will also be adblu).  Top spec L&K is also worth searching out.

As said, the Facelift xenons are amazing - about the best headlights on any car I've owned including others with xenons and LEDs.

Couldn't agree more!

Our 170 Elegance 4x4 manual is a July 2015 car on a very cheap lease deal because Skoda had stopped advertising them and was moving to the 150 Adblu engine. 

33 minutes ago, Yeti333 said:

Thanks for that , that's very interesting.

I am making inquiry's after a 170 today actually! But it's not a DSG

But I believe if I go for the 140 auto I can be re mapped to 170 :)

Haven't managed to figure out which versions have the adblue it's something I could live without really.

P.s. The S4 is staying the Yeti will be the other half's as her car has  just been written off.

Yes you can chip the 140 - but you don't get the 312mm front discs that the 170's got and which are much better for towing (or pretending to be a Vrs!)

One of the reasons i am buying a new yeti, instead of buying my company lease car Greenline Yeti as the car sceme finishes in June, is that it is not Euro 6 with adblue.

I could have bought this good condition and faultless from new elegance spec car for a reasonable price and got at least another 2 to 3 years cheap motoring out of it.

However the risk that i will not be able to drive it into a town soon and zero second hand value is rather worrying. Although all diesels are tainted in the press, if i read behind the headlines Euro 6 will not be targetted, unless the government hikes diesel fuel taxation.

The lights are great though and one of the main reasons i picked that high spec a car yet with the economy engine.

I suspect this 1.6tdi could also be chipped though and it is out of warranty soon!

Yeti was delivered yesterday, really must say I'm very impressed with it.  A few marks and small parking dings and a bit of damage in the passenger door pillar inside where it looks like someone has shut the seatbelt or some thing in the door, but nothing too serious :-)

Oh and theres a nice pair of new "Landsail" tyres on the front, lets hope they don't throw me into the first ditch. :D

It had been on 3 year lease so the tyres must have been low so they chucked the cheapest they could on it to hand it back.

Edited by Yeti333
  • Like 1

Yes, the 170 is an excellent tow car - I have towed my Bailey with it for 6 years without a single complaint or concern.

I am in the process of changing my 2010 Yeti for a 2014 F/L Yeti with DSG.  Could I ask a question regarding cruise control?

If you are towing with cruise control engaged, say in 6th gear DSG mode, will it automatically change down a gear - or two/three - when you go up an incline, without you having to disengage cruise control.  As you know, on the manual, cruise drops out as soon as you touch the clutch pedal to select a lower gear.  I am wondering if cruise on the DSG is that clever?

Many thanks in advance of any replies.

With a DSG it doesn't disengage cruise when it shifts gear.  Only if you touch the brake or disengage using the switch on the control arm.  However, the cruise still doesn't have a brake function so you do need to brake going down hill to stop exceeding the set speed, which of course then disengages it.

Edited by Falmouthboy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, busdriver said:

Yes, the 170 is an excellent tow car - I have towed my Bailey with it for 6 years without a single complaint or concern.

I am in the process of changing my 2010 Yeti for a 2014 F/L Yeti with DSG.  Could I ask a question regarding cruise control?

If you are towing with cruise control engaged, say in 6th gear DSG mode, will it automatically change down a gear - or two/three - when you go up an incline, without you having to disengage cruise control.  As you know, on the manual, cruise drops out as soon as you touch the clutch pedal to select a lower gear.  I am wondering if cruise on the DSG is that clever?

Many thanks in advance of any replies.

I've no experience of towing with auto which is what the DSG is if you just put it in D, but as far as I know it will just swap gears to maintain the speed.

(Oops beaten to it)

Thanks guys.  Despite towing caravans for 45 years, I have never towed with an automatic.  Mixed feelings about changing my manual Yeti - it has been simply the best, loved and cared for, and the quirkiness of its looks will be sadly missed. Some of that is lost in the F/L model.

Still, with the ample pulling power of the 170 + DSG, there shouldn't be much to do in the driver's seat?

6 minutes ago, busdriver said:

Still, with the ample pulling power of the 170 + DSG, there shouldn't be much to do in the driver's seat?

You're right about the 170 having oodles of pulling power. This little beastie weighs 2050kg (so 50kg below my max tow weight) and our 170 didn't struggle at all even though we towed along the horribly steep coast road from Hampshire to Cornwall.

Don't think you'll have much to worry about if you take it slow.

image.jpg

Although more than a year or two old now, my own newcomer's experience of towing with DSG was recorded here:

You mught find the whole discussion helpful.  Don't worry - just enjoy it!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Falmouthboy said:

With a DSG it doesn't disengage cruise when it shifts gear.  Only if you touch the brake or disengage using the switch on the control arm.  However, the cruise still doesn't have a brake function so you do need to brake going down hill to stop exceeding the set speed, which of course then disengages it.

I am waiting for my new 150ps dsg car to be built..

Never owned a dsg before and wondered about the above.

I have never really had an issue with speed increasing when going down a motorway hill, and the M62 is probably as hilly as they get. In the manual car the engine braking tends to maintain the required speed. In the dsg does it just go into gear but coasting neutral mode when power is not required? I believe that you only get engine brake assist when you use the brake pedal?

Does pushing the gear lever sideways into manual mode disengage the cruise, or can you force it to hold gears including engine braking in semi-manual mode?

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I am waiting for my new 150ps dsg car to be built..

Never owned a dsg before and wondered about the above.

I have never really had an issue with speed increasing when going down a motorway hill, and the M62 is probably as hilly as they get. In the manual car the engine braking tends to maintain the required speed. In the dsg does it just go into gear but coasting neutral mode when power is not required? I believe that you only get engine brake assist when you use the brake pedal?

Does pushing the gear lever sideways into manual mode disengage the cruise, or can you force it to hold gears including engine braking in semi-manual mode?

On my Passat with the same engine and gearbox choosing manual changes will not disengage cruise control.

Lee

Best advice I can offer from experience towing with a 140bhp DSG is to just drive it and forget about any concerns you may have.

I used to let the car and caravan pull away without touching the throttle pedal then select cruise control at the speed I wanted to maintain and forget about it until I needed to brake. Braking disconnects the cruise control but a tap on the button at the end of the LH stalk restores it.

I never had any concerns about engine braking as the cruise control kept things going as I wanted without any intervention from me.

Fred 

• Like 2