EA189 Emissions Update - my experience

pinkpanther

I've dug out my analysis of fuel returns, as follows:

• 2014 - 2015 (December - March) - average MPG 42.3
  • 2015 - 2016 (December - March) - average MPG 44.2 (+4.1% compared with last year)
  • 2016 - 2017 (December - March) - average MPG 38.72 (-12.04% compared with last year)

I realise this is a fairly rough and ready calculation, but my driving is relatively predictable in terms of journeys/ distances covered etc. It should become apparent over the next few tanks what impact the remap / emmisions update had.

• Like 1

This report continues to confirm ongoing issues with update. Sorry to hear about your negative experience and thank you for sharing. I will continue to decline any 'fix' as there is nothing to fix. Pleasing to hear that your stage 1 remap has brought your Yeti back to life. Now you can continue to enjoy.

12 minutes ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

Very nice write up

Thanks

AG

No worries:thumbup:

I'll admit to feeling a little silly, having given the go ahead to map the car (when it was running well).

This did however lead me to remapping it, which I'm hopefull will lead to the car being a viable (and pleasureable) long-term ownership prospect

• Like 1

Thanks for taking the time to post your findings, PP. Makes me pleased to have declined the offer of applying the 'fix' when offered by Allams (there were no hassles with me asking for it not to be done).

In addition, it's handy to know that a remap can overcome the 'fix'-induced issues. My own experience with the Shark STS Stage 1 is similar as far as engine transformation goes (even over pre 'fix' standard) and the fuel consumption is marginally better (0.5mpg) despite the increased power. I run Shell V-Power Nitro+ all the time.

It would be interesting to see what effect the Stage 1 remaps have on emissions (real world comparison or on the regulatory test).

Edited by aerofurb

Rather interesting this - I've got the 170, I have had the update and have had no problems at all (so far at least)

I wasn't aware of the app though so have tried that only to discover that my car regenerated 310km ago. I've never been aware of a regeneration so I'll keep an eye on it.

BTW ejstubbs, I tried my expensive wifi OBDLink MX and that, as usual, didn't work, however the £5 ebay bluetooth cheapie worked fine

• Like 1

Excellent post pinkpanther many thanks for this and so sorry the update was unsuccessful and detrimental.

I have already decided not to have my 170 done but your experience confirms my decision.

Very pleased your remap worked out well please continue to keep us posted.

Cheers.

Edited by fuzzybunny

36 minutes ago, fuzzybunny said:

Excellent post pinkpanther many thanks for this and so sorry the update was unsuccessful and detrimental.

I have already decided not to have my 170 done but your experience confirms my decision.

Very pleased your remap worked out well please continue to keep us posted.

Cheers.

Totally agree on PP's excellent post, but thought you'd all appreciate knowing that my 170 Yeti's been 'fixed' (VWFS lease car so I don't get a vote!) and it works just fine.

Had it done on the 3rd of April during its service and then covered 2115 miles in the following 7 days down to the French Alps and back. We thrashed the car across France, climbed over 2000' feet each day and on the last day took our Yeti upto an altitude of 2100m (6800ft or over a mile high!) and it worked just the same as normal.

I was soooooo wary after hearing lots of horror stories in the press but thought you'd all appreciate knowing that it's worked just fine for us.

Loving the 170 more each day....

Looking at the various replies I wonder if the 170 BHP engine is more tolerant of the update, whereas the 140 BHP appears to suffer more negative effects??

Nonetheless enjoying the remapped car and hoping there aren't any surprises in store!

3 hours ago, PirateSyrett said:

Totally agree on PP's excellent post, but thought you'd all appreciate knowing that my 170 Yeti's been 'fixed' (VWFS lease car so I don't get a vote!) and it works just fine.

Had it done on the 3rd of April during its service and then covered 2115 miles in the following 7 days down to the French Alps and back. We thrashed the car across France, climbed over 2000' feet each day and on the last day took our Yeti upto an altitude of 2100m (6800ft or over a mile high!) and it worked just the same as normal.

I was soooooo wary after hearing lots of horror stories in the press but thought you'd all appreciate knowing that it's worked just fine for us.

Loving the 170 more each day....

Thanks for the update its good to know your 170 was unaffected, that's reassuring. 

Its a great engine and great fun in the yeti.

I recently had my ageing 170 serviced and I declined the 'fix'.  I ignored the Skoda dealership advice that 'hundreds had been 'fixed' and they had not had a single complaint.  Why?  Because I had just read the minutes of the Transport Select Committee grilling of the head of VW UK - and he himself admitted that there had been problems with their fix, running into thousands! 

With little more than 42k since new, and running absolutely perfectly, why should I believe anything the servicing dealership tells me?  I have been happy with the service they have provided since I started using them five years ago, but this was one fix that I didn't want  them to perform.

Minor service completed and car is still running as sweet as a nut.  Alas, no discount for NOT having the fix.  Just paperwork to sign.........

Like many others - let us hope that PP enjoys his Stage 1 solution and, like me, continues to enjoy his  Mk 1 Yeti. My Mk 1  170 is probably the best car I have owned since passing my test in 1964 - and that was in a Landrover in Singapore!  But that is another story...... 

On 16/04/2017 at 16:41, Gyp said:

I wasn't aware of the app though so have tried that only to discover that my car regenerated 310km ago. I've never been aware of a regeneration so I'll keep an eye on it.

It'll probably do it every 100-300 miles, depending on how you drive.

There's actually a maximum distance it can go between regenerations, regardless of soot loading, IIRC it's something like 500 or 700 miles. In reality though your soot loading will trigger it well before that kind of distance.

5 hours ago, muddyboots said:

It'll probably do it every 100-300 miles, depending on how you drive.

There's actually a maximum distance it can go between regenerations, regardless of soot loading, IIRC it's something like 500 or 700 miles. In reality though your soot loading will trigger it well before that kind of distance.

In that case I'm amazed I've never noticed.

I've always thought that as my mileage is almost all longer distance out of town, that the exhaust was getting hot enough not to require regeneration.

12 hours ago, Gyp said:

In that case I'm amazed I've never noticed.

I've always thought that as my mileage is almost all longer distance out of town, that the exhaust was getting hot enough not to require regeneration.

I assumed the same until I did a load of logging with VCDS...

Even cruising at 60mph, my exhaust gas temps don't get high enough for passive regeneration, the soot still builds.

At higher speeds, temps get hotter....but you also generate more soot...

The issues you describe about the "picking" and noise when accelerating are exactly what my mother in law was experiencing in her Golf 1.6 TDI. Like a funny misfire.

She also had a fall of around 6mpg.

The car has now gone back following a change in her job.

1 hour ago, muddyboots said:

I assumed the same until I did a load of logging with VCDS...

When I last did DPF related logging, my CR140 normally showed decreasing "soot mass measured" but increasing "soot mass calculated" when traveling at motorway speeds.

1 hour ago, langers2k said:

When I last did DPF related logging, my CR140 normally showed decreasing "soot mass measured" but increasing "soot mass calculated" when traveling at motorway speeds.

They were often quite different on mine, sometimes very oddly so. The measured value will fall close to zero at the end of an active regen, but the calculated value never did, usually only dropped to a few grams.

Did you ever log your EGTs on the motorway ?

At, say 60-70mph cruising, mine would barely reach the temps required for passive regeneration, perhaps juuuust enough to stop the soot load increasing but not hot enough to reduce it appreciably; at higher speeds it obviously gets hotter, but still not hot enough to counter the increased soot production.

Maybe some differences here between the 140 and 170 of course.

On 16/04/2017 at 17:42, pinkpanther said:

I'm using a cheap n cheerful generic device: Amazon

Many thanks for that link.  I've lost count of the number of times I've read about people successfully using a "cheap and cheerful" bluetooth ODB adaptor without saying which one!  There are a lot of them out there and you could end up spending a lot of money on different "cheap and cheerful" ones before finding one that works.  The one I had definitely didn't work with VAG DPF.  The one in that link works just fine.  Running the ELM327 Identifier app (from the same developer as VAG DPF) showed why: my previous adaptor claimed to be ELM327 v1.5 but supported only 23 out of 76 AT commands covering ELM327 v1.0 to v1.3, and nothing above that.  The new one supports all 85 AT commands up to ELM327 v1.4 :)

I'm expecting to find that Torque Pro offers a lot more information than before, now, as well.

Edited by ejstubbs

Just had my 170 done and managed to get 20 miles up the M11 before engine management fault and crawl home mode. Should have left well alone . Prior to this 110K almost faultless miles all over Europe. Seems like Russian roulette as to whether it works or not. Any London remapping company suggestions welcome