EA189 Emissions Update - my experience

pinkpanther

Hi; just thought I would update this thread with my experience of the 'fix' so far.

Fix was applied to my 2013 TDI 170 4X4 yesterday by Simpsons Skoda of Great Yarmouth - goodie bag containing a pen, notebook and mini thermos included, plus an umbrella!

Barely noticed any difference driving home, but if anything I thought the car may have been a bit 'smoother' when idling along in traffic with no throttle. I have seen on another thread (I think,) a graph showing power delivery arrives around 200 rpm higher in the rev range following the fix; I did not notice this, but will update this once I have had the caravan hitched up, when I would expect the effects of this to be more apparent.

Just for information the Yeti has done around 30K miles and has been run almost entirely on Shell VPower with some BP ultimate, and only very few fills with standard diesel. Obviously there is some debate as to whether the extra expense is worth it, but my take is that the cost per fill up is small compared to the potential failures further down the line that may otherwise occur; of course it may not help at all (who is to know?) but it gives me some peace of mind.

As I said, I will update later after further use and towing with the fix applied.

Trevor M

13 hours ago, oxo said:

Just had my 170 done and managed to get 20 miles up the M11 before engine management fault and crawl home mode. Should have left well alone . Prior to this 110K almost faultless miles all over Europe. Seems like Russian roulette as to whether it works or not. Any London remapping company suggestions welcome

My Yeti has done 48k miles now and its been running the Bluefin for 45 of those and it hasn't missed a beat. 

Stick to the main brands if a "mate" can do it for you for silly money then leave it. 

It's worth what they charge for it and they all typically give the 170 a power grade to 205/210 so it's a win win...

13 hours ago, oxo said:

Just had my 170 done and managed to get 20 miles up the M11 before engine management fault and crawl home mode. Should have left well alone . Prior to this 110K almost faultless miles all over Europe. Seems like Russian roulette as to whether it works or not. Any London remapping company suggestions welcome

Do you have a VCDS autoscan from before or after?

Depending what ECU you have, there may be flash files to restore the original software.

I've just had a second reminder about the "emissions service action" in the post in an envelope labelled Driver & Vehicle Standards Agency - Final Reminder.  I shall not be having the update done.

2012 2l 110 HP Yeti S.   Only 5,000 miles from new - all long fast journeys.

Norry

Are we being dealt with by the script reading muppets employed by Capita in Sheffield, I wonder?

Its no wonder we can't make any progress!

Do folks realise all the VAG group outsource their 'Customer Services' ?

If the fix does not have an impact on the DPF and EGR valve how come cars under 40,000 miles in America that have the fix will get 2 DPFs and EGR valves + other bits fitted free of charge?

http://www.vwdiesellookup.com/pdf/VWCourtSettlement_Emissions_Disclosure_Gen3_Final.pdf

• Like 2

Further update from talking to Skoda on Saturday morning which was a bit of a surprise as they say their customer line is only open Monday to Friday. Was asked if I wanted to pay the £85 pounds for the re test ! I declined and suggested that a courtesy car would be appreciated, which thy appear to have agreed to.  

Thats a shame OXO. I am going to leave it off my 170 anyhow. I don't know any London mapping peeps but they tend to be mobile in a lot of cases making it easier to just target "south east" in an internet search. Probably best to try find a VAG specific dude too who may well have experienced reversing/replacing the software update

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now a couple of thousand miles post "Remap" and indications are the fuel economy is back to something equivalent to pre EA189 emissions update levels. I've unfortunately become somewhat "used" to the performance boost, so it doesn't seem quite as impressive now, as it did when first mapped:dry:

I found this with cars I'd previously mapped and often drove a standard car, just to remind myself how much better mine now was!

No reliability issues, and barring a modest increase in the yearly insurance premuim, appears to be a worthwhile upgrade.

Now planning to keep the car beyond the end of the PCP, as I've yet to ome across any alternatives I'd rather have.

I did have a look at a Kodiak, which is very nice, but rather large. Also considered Seat Ateca (1.4 TSi), but too new for decent deals to be on offer. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Yety said:

I've got VAG DPF on now, but can't get the ash figure - are there any tricks to get it displayed?

Hi Yety

I tried the free version initially, but once I'd confirmed it worked, moved onto the paid for version. I seem to recall the ash level was only included in the paid for version?

I'm on version 2.15.6.

Edited by pinkpanther

1 hour ago, pinkpanther said:

Hi Terry

I tried the free version initially, but once I'd confirmed it worked, moved onto the paid for version. I seem to recall the ash level was only included in the paid for version?

I'm on version 2.15.6.

Thanks, sorted now. My engine model was not on the list, but I tried them all and quiet a few gave a full set of figures, all reading the same. I just chose the one most similar to mine that worked - very clever and interesting.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2017-5-5 at 11:57, pinkpanther said:

I'm now a couple of thousand miles post "Remap" and indications are the fuel economy is back to something equivalent to pre EA189 emissions update levels. I've unfortunately become somewhat "used" to the performance boost, so it doesn't seem quite as impressive now, as it did when first mapped:dry:

I found this with cars I'd previously mapped and often drove a standard car, just to remind myself how much better mine now was!

No reliability issues, and barring a modest increase in the yearly insurance premuim, appears to be a worthwhile upgrade.

Now planning to keep the car beyond the end of the PCP, as I've yet to ome across any alternatives I'd rather have.

I did have a look at a Kodiak, which is very nice, but rather large. Also considered Seat Ateca (1.4 TSi), but too new for decent deals to be on offer. 

As promised - a further update.

I'm now almost 4000 miles post "performance" remap and no issues have (yet) become apparent. The DPF continues to regenerate every 150-300 miles, as opposed to the 80-100 miles between regenerations noted following the EA189 emissions update.

The average MPG in the 4000 miles since the Shark remap (currently) stands at 41.95 MPG. This compares with 38.8 MPG in the approximately 4000 miles post EA189 emissions update.

By way of a control I've looked at the 4000 miles immediately preceding the EA189 emissions update (43.5 MPG) and 4000 miles from the corresponding months, the previous year (41.6 MPG).

On this basis my reading is the current MPG is reasonably in-line with the pre EA189 emissions update average (41.95 MPG vs 42.52MPG), but 8.1% (3.15 MPG) better than that seen in the 4000 miles post EA189 emissions update.

I'd wondered if the MPG drop (seen over the 4000 miles post EA189 emissions update) was accounted for by the increased fuel needed to support the higher frequency of DPF regeneration?

Ash levels have hardly budged and (according to the VAG DPF app) suggest my DPF is currently 29% clogged with ash (@ 53000 miles). I'm unsure if Ash levels will continue to rise in a linear manner, but take this current value to indicate my DPF should last well beyond at least 140K miles.

I remain happy with the remap and have accepted both the increased insurance costs (and probable loss of any subsequent VAG goodwill outside warranty), as a direct consequence of both my decision to both allow the EA189 emission update to be applied, and my subsequent decision to have the car remapped.

I remain peturbed to be placed in this position by VAG's actions, but am nonetheless satisfied with both my subsequent actions, and the outcome. 

Yeti MPG.jpg

Edited by pinkpanther
  • Like 4

Just got my Yeti back after 4 weeks. EGR valve replaced and  a new turbo. Reason for the new turbo was that when they went to change the EGR valve there were bolts missing from the turbo (sheered off) This must have happened when the EGR valve was replace in France years ago (under warranty ) . Fair do to the Skoda dealer who got Skoda to pay for a new turbo as well as the EGR valve. Had a VW passat TDI as a hire car . Liked the DSG box and had one of the best stop start systems i have driven. Dislike the seats, nearly killed my back by the end of a month delighted to be sitting in the Yeti again. Experience since getting it back. Low rev pull seems to be a bit down. Fuel consumption seems the same 

Edited by oxo

Very interesting stuff from contributors here. So far I have declined the update and responded by email to Skoda explaining my reasons. I would be open to it if a warranty was offered relating to EGR and DPF. They have not respondes to my email.

I have a dtuk tuning box on my 170. It has been excellent. I am guessing that it would not work on a "fixed" engine. Anyone had experience with this?

Edited by munrorunner
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, munrorunner said:

Very interesting stuff from contributors here. So far I have declined the update and responded by email to Skoda explaining my reasons. I would be open to it if a warranty was offered relating to EGR and DPF. They have not respondes to my email.

I have a dtuk tuning box on my 170. It has been excellent. I am guessing that it would not work on a "fixed" engine. Anyone had experience with this?

Is the tuning box similar to remapping? My car has the fix and has since I got it, it performs fine, but I'd like a bit more low down torque if I can. Just wondering how I could do this without voiding warranty

My box is excellent. It works like a remap and is adjustable. I found the perfect setting I think gives me about 200-210bhp. Very smooth. I removed it (10mins) before services. No warranty issues. Last service was out of warranty so i left it in. No problem. 

It doesn't work like a remap. A remap removes the manufacturers ECU settings and replaces them with a rewritten code which controls all the relevant aspects of the engine system. A tuning box works after the ECU has made all the calculations and sent the correct parameters to the engine components, and the tunig box intercepts them and adjusts them.

If you apply a tuning box to a "pre fixed" engine then it'll be written to work with that particular software. If you apply that same tuning box to a "fixed" engine then it'll be adjusting parameters it's not coded to work with. It might work okay, but then again you might just be filling your DPF at a much faster rate than you usually would.

• Like 1

In some ways it works like a remap - adjusts the power delivery electronically - which i think is what gman was asking me. It doesn't change the internal coding.

If the engine is fixed you need to let the box seller know so they can give you one suited to the fixed engine config. I asked DTUK about this and they said I could send the box back to be reconfigured if I buy a car with a fixed engine.

My 2010 170 Yety has performed perfectly since new and I have decided against the fix. I have been using a DTUK box for the last couple of years with enjoyable results.

May I ask you, munrorunner, which program you prefer? I tend to use no. 3 (no+'s or -'s) as it seems the smoothest - No1. is also ok but I find no.2 a bit vicious.