EA189 Emissions Update - my experience

pinkpanther

A step in the right direction it would appear but VAG do have a habit of wriggling out of responsibility and it should have been their response as soon as they thought they had a fix to ease customers minds and shoulder their responsibility.I think the lack of government support for Eu customers and the build up of legal firms planning to take action may have some bearing and ts all been handled so badly by Vag from start to finish in Europe as opposed to the Americans

• Like 1

The letter that came back with my 1.6tdi Greenline when it had the fix on Monday whilst in for first MOT, appears to be the extra guarantee talked about above. (And no I wouldn't have had the work done if it was my car, but as a lease car I had no say in the matter and I only have the car for 15 more days.

It was to a mileage of 160K and is cover for egr and dpf faults for 2 years after the fix is done, and possibly other parts that could be affected. It is at the discretion of Skoda though, so not sure how much it is worth, and has to be related to the fix.

I have only done a few miles since monday and noticed last night it was doing a regen. Have hardly ever noticed one of these happening before as it does lots of motorway mileage normally.

Seems to be less torque at low revs as well?

• Like 1

Well ballcocks to that, with me at 110,000 and having conducted the last "big" service myself, more out of curiosity/for self satisfaction than cost driven, having resigned myself to no compo or extended warranty, I am possibly now not as well positioned to be covered.

Ah well, fingers crossed nonetheless.

cheers

mth

• Like 1

I've decided to sell my Yeti .

The selling area mentions being a "Freedom" user, to use it but I'm not sure what that is. Maybe a power user or moderator can advise on that.

Edited by Gizmo
non freedom

11 minutes ago, munrorunner said:

I've decided to sell my Yeti .

The selling area mentions being a "Freedom" user, to use it but I'm not sure what that is. Maybe a power user or moderator can advise on that.

Look here for details on Freedom and you can then post an advert in the classifieds

• Like 1

Mini update,

Having reprogged the CRD t2 box to map 3 with std settings, I covered 330 miles over the weekend, mostly m/way at the std indicated 120km/hr(110+ 10%-75mph, and with all onboard services working, air con etc), brim to brim got over 45mpg - normally that would have been around 41-42mpg. God it was hot , 34'C around St Nazaire!

A note of caution, if you see unmarked/unoccupied cars on the verges of m/ways here a la frog, they have speed camera's onboard and usually working, also, mobile speed cameras are set up in the m/way side undergrowth. Don't currently know the situation re fines, it always used to be more costly to collect from UK drivers than the amount of the fine so they didn't bother, another adv of UK plates!

Ok, fine for you lot the other side of the ditch, here N type autoroutes 110km/hr  68.75mph , with an error of 10% 121km/hr /75.625mph hence 75mph indicated or 120km/hr to ensure no flashes fines etc  --  all done using me abacus  ; - D)

A type autoroutes 130km/hr

French speed camera are set up fairly well on speed indicated, hence lots of frustration for the Brits visiting, the French pass through a cloning process and rarely exceed indicated max speeds albeit their speed is less than that indicated road side. Perhaps it makes for safer roads who knows?

Edited by Frenchtone

so the general consensus is that I should NOT have the "fix" done to our two Yeti's 140bhp and 110bhp diesels

letter now received and both need a service ........ so need to explain to the French garage NOT to do the EA189

• Like 1

I use a Skoda concessionaire in Quimper Finistere, when my adventure went in for service last Nov I was given the option of fix or not, obviously chose not but had to sign a disclaimer type document to the effect I had chosen to not have the 'fix'  -  I assume you would be given the same option!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Frenchtone said:

I use a Skoda concessionaire in Quimper Finistere, when my adventure went in for service last Nov I was given the option of fix or not, obviously chose not but had to sign a disclaimer type document to the effect I had chosen to not have the 'fix'  -  I assume you would be given the same option!

Presumably there will be no future problems with the French MOT, (CT) - none so far on the 2010 model Yeti that I have

https://www.facebook.com/groups/955027937948541/

Endless tales of woe - protest at VW HQ from 0800 tomorrow!

BBC and press will be covering - there a considerable number of VAG owners who had the 'fix' and are now suffering excessive regenerations, EGR valve failures and increased fuel consumption.

In a vast number of cases VAG are covering the cost, whilst at the same time denying its anything to do with the 'voluntary' recall! The cost of repairs in most cases exceeds £1000!

Over 40k UK owners have joined class actions against VAG, together with 180k from The Netherlands.

This is a shameful farrago of deceit by VAG - and their own dealerships are hitting innocent diesel owners with criminally low PX valuations!

So relieved my car has not been ravaged! 

19264491_10154754876100773_7791704542147552794_o.jpg

19264700_10154754876110773_8595495595261318704_o.jpg

19388372_10154754876105773_5301742849495710199_o.jpg

Edited by Merlinman
Added background info!
  • Like 2

Finally got my emissions "fix" (codge) notice for my 1.6 Superb.

The notice states there will be adverse impact upon engine performance.

Filed. Bin.

3 minutes ago, kevberlin said:

The notice states there will be adverse impact upon engine performance.

Any chance you missed out a word there? If not it's probably the most honest communication ever on the subject.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Wino said:

Any chance you missed out a word there? If not it's probably the most honest communication ever on the subject.

Ha ha ha. Good spot. Just testing.

• Like 1

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Having a kit car here,part of the process for acquiring a French Regn was to pass a CT, when the car was in for the test the tester invited me to accompany him thro' the test, my car has an '83 build date(that of the donor car), it  originally used the donor engine ie'83, but in 2000 the then owner replaced it with a lead free engine out of Port Talbot, the French tester used all the info for a build date of '83 so ref your car, emissions etc will/should be based on those relevant in 2010 - so I would assume no NOx test!  -  No probs!!

• Like 1

Here are the folks who turned up at VW's front door this morning!

Increased security but a friendly welcome from the security staff, who were most accommodating - sadly the 'management'  were hiding under their desks! They could learn a valuable PR lesson from their 'front of house' team!! 

F1F84608-8A53-47E6-B5B3-D32E5A74DB51.JPG

Edited by Merlinman
Spelling!
  • Like 2

Just to add my tuppence worth. Yeti 110 4x4, had update in Nov 2016. Immediately apparent that torque and fuel economy were down (about 15% on a regular daily commute). Fan remains on 2 or 3 times per week, versus once every 6-8 weeks prior to fix.

Spent the last few months in painfully slow communications with skoda and the dealer which basically involves them denying everything and implying I must be making it up.

Anybody with a 110 yeti been able to get the vag dpf  app to work. Engine isn't listed as supported, and haven't found another app that shows the same dpf data.

Also, anybody found a tuner in central Scotland who can roll back the software to prefix version?

• Like 1

?

Can you name the Dealership with the staff are still sticking to the VW Group line because the time is coming when many are going to have to eat humble pie.

Lots of Dealership staff that know damn well the true situation but more than their jobs worth to be truthful.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

?

Can you name the Dealership with the staff are still sticking to the VW Group line because the time is coming when many are going to have to eat humble pie.

Lots of Dealership staff that know damn well the true situation but more than their jobs worth to be truthful.

Personally, I took my Yeti 170 Elegance in to Henry's Skoda for service. I told them I didn't want the Emissions Fix and they quite happily "logged it" into my account details. Next time I was in they already knew and didn't need reminding. There was no fuss or pressure to have it applied - I guess it means less work for them. I plan to sell my Yeti as soon as I find a replacement but I'm a bit sad that it will probably end up getting "fixed" by Skoda if I go for a trade in. I think I'm going to replace it with a 1.8 Tsi this time to avoid issues, but it's hard to find one of those with the Rough Road Pack that mine has. 

• Like 1

Yes less work, no skin off their nose, just less income for the owners of Henry's as VW Group pay for them doing The Fix.  

Any pressure to have it would be a jolly bad show, and the ones doing it without consent and there are those that are at it.

Edited by Awayoffski