Auto / Tiptronic issues

I've had my present 2007 Superb for 3 trouble-free years - but last week the N/S/F front spring broke and I'm now having a gear box problem. On starting the car all of the gear indicator lights came on and only 1st would engage. I stopped the engine, gears OK but Tiptronic wouldn't work (only 1 time). Since then I have had a few occasions when only 1st would engage, but stopping the engine and restarting has solved the problem. When I had the spring done I had the car VAGCOM'd which came up with

• 17090 Transmission range sensor (F125)
  • 01119 Gear recognition signal

I have been quoted £600+VAT or £2200+VAT for repair if the g/box has to come out by a company (TAS) in Colchester.

I haven't seen this problem on the Forum previously - any thoughts welcome - and is the g/box likely to 'die' completely on me? The car has done 75k miles

Thanks

• Like 1

The transmission control unit is under the carpet, check for damp under the carpet front and back on both sides of the car theses cars leak like a sieve. If you haven't done so already read the water ingress thread at the top of the page from start to finish, it will serve you well. Search function is your friend you will get lots of hits like this one same engine as yours too!

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't sound likely to be mechanical, two distinct electrical sensor faults.  as @gfinneran says, the ECU for the gearbox is under the UK drivers side carpet.  There are many ways for water to get in under the carpet on Superb, I would be betting on contacts being corroded or ECU damaged.

My auto only made it to 95K miles before it broke itself.  They eat reverse gear as a matter of course.  A fluid change before you hit 80K might help, but at the same time I think some of it is a weak design on the reversing drum.  Rumour has it the parts that get fitted when they rebuild are much stronger.

Thanks for your helpful posts. The indie VW/ Audi people have suggested that a chunk is taken off the back of the gear box, sent away and overhauled, taking a week and around £500 all in.Their garage in Ipswich seem to be well informed - but I respect Jimbof's comments and stripping out the carpets etc seems nearly as drastic (and expensive!) I would rather not take a 50/50 gamble........

However I have not had any problems for a week now and am inclined to let things be until / unless it starts playing up again. Is there any way of refining as to whether it's a mechanical / electronic problem?

I got the car 3 years ago / 40k only on the clock and had Wooleys at Hingham (Norfolk) go right through including cambelt / plenum plugs / g/box & filter oil change / pollen filter seal.

I shall be devastated when I run out of Mk 1 Superbs (faults and all!)

Get under the driver's side carpet.  If you can see any trace of water then water ingress has to be high on this list of suspicions.  Especially as it has been dry recently and you seem to have been OK for a while.

Getting the carpet up enough to have a look isn't difficult, about 10 mins work.   Pull up the door seal rubber strip.  Slide the seat back, remove the screw cap and a single screw from the a-pillar trim in the driver's footwell, and pull it off (needs a good tug as it is clipped to the pillar, it is also clipped to the trim that goes along the carpet edge).  The plastic trim across the carpet edge then pulls up - watch as you get to the seatbelt area as the clips become plastic and run the opposite direction.  

Once you've peeled that trim as far back as the seatbelt you can pull up the carpet edge and get your arm under the carpet.

It sounds like they're either talking about the valve body, torque converter or possibly TCM (driver's footwell electronics box)?  Any more info on why / what they think is the problem?  I'm not doubting them, just interested in their thoughts.

Re: your error codes; from the self study guide:

"Multifunction switch F125

It detects the position of the selector lever and

signals this to the automatic gearbox control

unit J217."

Rosstech's suggestions for your codes are here:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01119

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/17090

Neither of them suggest mechanical issue with the gearbox itself.  

Edited by jimbof