1.0 TSI Engine

2 hours ago, vc-10 said:

130k? That's not great IMO. My old Polo, now my brother's car, is on 163k. That's the old VAG 1.2 3-cyl, and it's an early car too for that engine (registered May 2002). I appreciate that 130k is an average, but does that take into account people writing them off with 20k on the clock and stuff like that? 

Of course, if it's brand-new on a lease it's not too much of an issue, but it's definitely something to be wary of if Ford are saying that it's only expected to last to that sort of mileage. 

No, it's the figure that Ford expect on average the engine to last with normal use. Of course, some may go much longer if treated right. 

1 hour ago, NyHoK said:

I actually got a call from my local dealer yesterday about the car they are building (which I bought on March 31st) and as it turns out there apparently no 1.2L Engines being built at all and the car I will receive will have the new 1.0L TSI. This also applies to both the engine types as I enquired about possibly upgrading to the 110 if it meant keeping the 1.2L but that has also been ceased. But I guess at least it will reduce my insurance cost I guess.

Welcome to the site NyHok. 

Do you mean no more 1.2TSI engines being built? I don't know of the 1.2L unit.

Just now, Estate Man said:

Welcome to the site NyHok. 

Do you mean no more 1.2TSI engines being built? I don't know of the 1.2L unit.

I think the dealer was referring to all 1.2 engine types but I may have misheard it as being only the TSI types. But considering they are scrapping the 1.2TSIs I wouldn't be surprised if they also stop doing the standard 1.2L

53 minutes ago, Estate Man said:

No, it's the figure that Ford expect on average the engine to last with normal use. Of course, some may go much longer if treated right. 

I wouldn't say that the poor old Polo was treated right! It's now on its 4 learner, it's been thoroughly abused by all of us! To be fair, I'm genuinely impressed at how well its lasted. 

1 hour ago, Estate Man said:

Ah, yes I see. Indeed the 1.2L engine you refer to is in fact the 3 cylinder normally aspirated engine. It has ceased production some time ago.

Makes sense, and thanks for the welcome, can't wait to drive my SE L :biggrin:

3 hours ago, vc-10 said:

Unless the introduce the new 1.5 TSI (probably with 150PS, basically an equivalent of the BlueGT model in the Polo) then no. All the petrols will be 1.0 3-cyls, and the diesels are currently all 1.4 3-cyls.

By 2019 there may well be a vrs version of the Fabia which will likely be out of my price bracket.

How do you acess the data? My car will hopefuly be built soon?

Not sure why you would want the old 1.2 110ps engine. I understand that wil be replaced by a lighter and smoother 1.0 tsi which produces more torque and 115ps?

My new 1.2 SE L DSG Estate was built last week and nothing was said about it potentially having a 1.0 engine

If I find out on delivery that is has a 1.0 engine I will have seriously consider rejecting it as it was not as ordered.

My concern would be that any potential engine problems had not been ironed out

• Like 1

Hasn't this engine been around in other cars for a bit now. I have seen road tests of other models with it in.

Apparently been out in europe for some time in VW's and Seat's

Road test here http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/octavia/95904/new-skoda-octavia-10-tsi-2016-review

We are in the market for a new Fabia for my wife and the dealer said that all cars on the production line now are being built with the equivalent 1.0 engine which comes in two versions 95ps and 115ps. He wasn't sure exactly what date this was effective from though. New details and costs to be issued soon and configurator updated, but in the meantime you will get the new and supposedly improved similar power engine at no change in cost to what you ordered.

Personally i wouds want to get one of these rather than the new cars dealers have in stock with the 1.2 engine and were trying to entice us to buy

2 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Not sure why you would want the old 1.2 110ps engine. I understand that wil be replaced by a lighter and smoother 1.0 tsi which produces more torque and 115ps?

Hi Ken I used track my Skoda which is run by Rainworth,Bickerton Skoda I think it only works with their orders.This will be my fifth 1.2Tsi ,and I've not had a problem with the first four .I wanted a built car to beat the tax increase and couldn't get one  so I asked would it come with 1.0Tsi no i would have to wait longer,  so placed the order for this one .If it comes though with a 1.0Tsi it is not the car I ordered as far as i'm concerned .My first mk3 was ordered and I waited four months  to get it and it came with all the mirror link issues. I tried to change the order midway through but was told the car already confirmed build week so I could not put it back to get one with SmartLink. This was from Skoda customer services,So if they change the order I'm not going to be very pleased,but that's just me .:)

There are members with Mk3 Octavia 1.0TSI that appear to be very happy with their vehicle, they should be a nice enough engine in a Fabia until Skoda are maybe allowed to have a 1.5TSI for them if that ever comes to be.

10 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

There are members with Mk3 Octavia 1.0TSI that appear to be very happy with their vehicle, they should be a nice enough engine in a Fabia until Skoda are maybe allowed to have a 1.5TSI for them if that ever comes to be.

My sister had a 1.0tsi dsg Octavia courtesy car,and was very pleased with it i dare say I would be too but surely a company can't change a  major component like an engine  on built to order car without telling the customer ?

But being such a material change that is rather important the Supplying Dealer would have to contact the customer, and Skoda UK should have contacted the Supplying Dealer.

Peoples Insurance for a different vehicle being one reason, the Broker / Underwriter often do not have the 'latest engine'  on the system or recognise the vehicle as existing even with a VIN,  and many others things that a customer has a right to be notified about with Update they may not want.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

They can change it if they consider it to be a free upgrade?

I think the change of such a major component  is a little bit more than an upgrade .I have just been speaking to Skoda customer services and I have been told that my car is a 1.2Tsi .The 1.0Tsi is being fitted from build week 22 i.e. The 2018 model year.This clarified my position and hopefully anybody else who has a build week,and wanting a 1.2Tsi . :)

Edited by Mick 50
Spelling
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, kenfowler3966 said:

Ken, in the Fabia Mk3's the 1.0TSI has 110ps. I don't know what other power outputs it's available in. It may be 115ps in the Octavia.

He was wrong for the Mk3 Fabia, but if the Fabia comes in 95 or 110ps and the Octavia in 115ps they are all the same engine unit so not strained with 110ps in a Fabia and will be able to be remapped for more if anyone wanted to.

I think that on the issue with not getting what you ordered:- if you were not warned about the possibility of having to accept the change from 1.2TSI to 1.0TSI at the time of formally ordering that car and maybe paying a small deposit, and, Skoda have now accepted and confirmed that order, I'm be amazed if you ended up with a car with a 1.0TSI engine in it - unless Skoda got back to your dealer and made it clear that they had a very good reason to change the spec of your accepted factory order.

I keep regurgitating my story about ordering a 1.2TSI 110 SEL 6MT Polo for my wife back in April 10th 2015 - I was warned then, that there was every possibility that my dealer's order for a 1.2TSI 110 SEL 6MT Polo would get bounced and amended to a 1.0TSI 110 SEL 6MT Polo - and I would then need to formally accept that change before the revised order was sent to the factory and committed to build - ie the window of opportunity for factory ordering a 1.2TSI 110 SEL 6MT Polo was supposed to be closing prior to the start of 2016MY Polos!

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/04/2017 at 13:24, Mick 50 said:

but surely a company can't change a  major component like an engine  on built to order car without telling the customer ?

The brochure and configurator always have have a disclaimer, models may be subject to modification etc.

I suspect an engine of equivalent power would be acceptable change.

It is known the 1.2 petrol is being stopped before summer factory break in July (orders closed week ago for Yeti, which was another model still using it).

Skoda website has a note that these brochure / confiurator are now wrong (2017 spec) and any new orders after 28April will now be built to MY18 (2018) specs.  I assume 1.2 is not a MY18.  Production spec usually changes late May (but the changes may happen over number of days so some mixed spec cars with some new features sometimes happen)

My guess is they will use up production of the 1.2tsi and then switch to 1.0

Not sure if the 1.5tsi will make it to Fabia, but might appear in Rapid.  It is already confirmed for Octavia and Karoq by the Autumn.