car ticks over about 1000 rpm

Looks like a regen. Does the stop/start become unavailable at the same time? If this is happening as you stop/park the car can you hear the engine fans running after you switch off the ignition? If yes then likely a regen.

The only other time mine has done this was when the battery charge was low. Have you been doing a lot of short journeys? 

1 minute ago, Sagalout said:

Looks like a regen. Does the stop/start become unavailable at the same time? If this is happening as you stop/park the car can you hear the engine fans running after you switch off the ignition? If yes then likely a regen.

The only other time mine has done this was when the battery charge was low. Have you been doing a lot of short journeys? 

yeah thats sounds about right engine fans coming on

not noticed the stop start system 

thanks colin

26 minutes ago, RickTT said:

thats sounds like something different 

rang dealership they are not sure what it is

so booked it in for diagnostics

they did say if its doing a regen a light would come on on dashboard

8 minutes ago, Col_skeggy said:

they did say if its doing a regen a light would come on on dashboard

If they have said this then I wouldn't get my car diagnosed by them as they clearly know very little about diesel cars.

What you are seeing is normal

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 2

No regen light included so as above they are talking spheroids!  

@ RickTT - I have had the rpm rise if the car has being doing a lot of stop/start.  I assumed it was to keep the alternator at optimum rpm for charging as the Stop/Start disables at the same time and it isn't doing a regen.  Purely a guess on my part though.

• Like 1

"they did say if its doing a regen a light would come on on dashboard".

They clearly need to check their self study documents for the EA288 engine then!!

The warning light will only come on when the system has been unable to carry out active or passive regens due usually to a series of only short distance runs. However, the vehicle does carry out regens automatically once operating conditions have been reached (temps etc).

So under normal conditions the car does it's own thing and you may notice that from the increased idle revs, fans running on switch off, decreased mpg and performance. However if that auto process is unsuccessful and the system recognizes unacceptable levels of soot build up then it will put up the warning light. Warning you to immediately take the car on a day out down the motorway or somewhere where you can run for 20-30 minutes at full operating temps so it can complete the regen. Failure to do so will be expensive!!

Hope this help you understand how your engine is designed to work.

Edited by Sagalout
typos
  • Like 1

I've noticed this on my car too, not often and I couldn't tell you when (stop/start traffic, long drive, short drive?), I do think it's normal and I'm not worried about it. I'll take more notice now you've mentioned it and see if I can pin down when it happens.