Creaking and groaning suspension : non active suspension

Noticed this from my motor some months ago but it appears to be gradually getting worse. Car now 18 months old and 10k.

I usually have the radio on so its not bothered me but if it continues to deteriorate I can see it having to be booked in in the next 6 months maybe

It mainly happens when the car is subjected to body roll at slow speed.

Anyone else had this on standard suspension cars ?

Yes

Car is in the dealer. having a sleep over..

I reported the clicking CV joints / drive shafts..  The CV joints are bone dry but the CV boots are not split. -  Fully Re-greased

Suspension knocking - Worn bushes / ball joints / ill fitting.  New parts ordered to be fitted before return of the car.

All sounding positive and good update from the dealer.

However mine still goans going over speedbumps.

Speaking to my Audi friend whos a master tech... the A3 are the same with this issue.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick_H said:

Cheers Rick. I'll keep this thread updated.... Of course if bloody Sheffield Council sorted the roads ...

I'm not too fussed about it now as the car has been in the dealer who confirmed everything was solid etc.. (so no saftey issue) and if I have the radio on your can't hear it lol..

If the rattles I had before return it will be going back in regardless.

• Like 1

I'm so glad I read this post. 

I have a year old Superb with DCC. Recently (last month) I noticed intermittent creaking noises, on uneven surfaces at low speeds (just like you said Nick).

Took to service centre, regreased bushes, apparently fixed, they couldn't get the noise to happen on test drive. I believed them and drove home.

And here's the VERY PECULIAR thing. The noise happened again, intermittently, so I investigated different conditions. And discovered that it happens every time under these conditions: going over a speed bump/uneven surface, with my foot pressing the break (only softly). 

If you go over the bump without your foot on the break, the creak does not happen at all. 

Been back into service after discovering how to make it happen every time. They say it's safe to drive and not an issue, nor are there any TPIs about a known issue. And none of them have any clue why, upon pressing the break, it happens every time (and it's VERY loud now). 

I don't accept that, at all, and it's going back in (this time to selling dealer) soon for another look, and I told them to keep investigating the car until the noise is gone. 

Can you gents do me a favour, and try going over a bump at around 15mph without breaking, and the second time with your foot slightly on the break. 

Any difference? 

• Like 2

Mine's with the dealer at the moment for the same noise (DCC suspension). Only happens when the car is cold and only over the first few speed bumps on the way to work. I don't have my foot on the brake when going over said bumps and it makes the groaning noise.

It's also in for (possibly) leaking hatch struts, vibrating door cards, creaking door seals and mis-aligned chrome trim. The latter has only happened since it when in for the chrome trim recall.

Interestingly I have a Superb 1.4 150 ACT SE courtesy car on 17"s. The suspension is silent as the grave and the ride is much quieter and less bumpy (yes, I know that 17" vs 19" will make some difference, but not that much).  The throttle take-up (it's a manual) is also much more 'perky' than my DSG.

Maybe the 16k price difference between that and my 280 L&K buys me the extra noises :sadsmile:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

Mine's with the dealer at the moment for the same noise (DCC suspension). Only happens when the car is cold and only over the first few speed bumps on the way to work. I don't have my foot on the brake when going over said bumps and it makes the groaning noise.

It's also in for (possibly) leaking hatch struts, vibrating door cards, creaking door seals and mis-aligned chrome trim. The latter has only happened since it when in for the chrome trim recall.

Interestingly I have a Superb 1.4 150 ACT SE courtesy car on 17"s. The suspension is silent as the grave and the ride is much quieter and less bumpy (yes, I know that 17" vs 19" will make some difference, but not that much).  The throttle take-up (it's a manual) is also much more 'perky' than my DSG.

Maybe the 16k price difference between that and my 280 L&K buys me the extra noises :sadsmile:

I definitely notice it most in the mornings on a cold start, but for me it doesn't stop (even after a 300 mile round trip from London to Birmingham - the speedbumps after getting off M roads continue to cause the creak if I apply the break). 

Would be keen to hear the outcome of your dealer's investigation. And the courtesy car not having the noise might also mean it's a problem that occurs to older cars? 

OK. Just been to Halfords and came back using a road with half a dozen speed bumps... Kind that go all the way across the road.

Yes it appears to be much worse when traversing the bumps with the brake depressed....

So to sum up for me...

1) First noticed about 6 months ago when driving over the very same speed bumps

2) Does appear to be worse when cold or car cold

3) Travelled over the same bump at around 12 mph and definitely worse if braking

4) Now also manifests in normal driving on poor roads or roads with acute undulations where the nose dives a bit or the body is subjected to roll

5) Must be getting bad as the Wife said yesterday what's that terrible noise  then laughed and said her i10 doesn't do that :-(

6) I'm writing the mail now to book it in .....

Speed bumps.... mines worse on full length type speed bumps when both wheels are hitting them at the same time as oppose to the island type ones in the middle of the lane which you would straddle / only one side of the car go over.

• Like 1

Have a read of that later. Been out and done some video. Couldn't do outside as the battery ran out ! I'll edit together later and stick it on YouTube if the mike picked anything up.... it's definitely worse first thing in the morning before the components have 'warmed up' ...

Yeah just spent 10 mins googling this.... lots and lots of threads ! 

So the cars not done it from new which means something is either drying out or wearing out. If lubricant fixes short term what's the answer ?

Just keep lubricating until it runs out of warranty ? That's not an option for me as my plan is to keep the car for a fair few years.

I didn't pay nearly 35k for a car that makes more noise than the Wife's 8 year old Hyundai i10 !

Ive never had a car including 4 previous new Skodas that has made a racket like this and just sticking the volume up on the radio isn't really a proper fix lol !

• Like 3

Yep, mine does that too Nick. Setting off from cold, when braking on a bend and/or a speed hump. Exactly the same. Got the usual 'They all do that, sir' from the dealer (but to be fair he said the same about the window trim falling off, the lack of suspension travel banging over small road scars, and the car giving my wife painful electric shocks loud enough for people over the road to hear...). It seems to go once the car's warmed up so I didn't give it much thought. I'll be interesting to see what comes of your dealership investigations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nick_H said:

OK Here you go guys..... Apologies for the shaky video :-)

Yours is like mine was before it went in and had parts replaced... dull thud type noise..

Mine is more of a creak now.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2017 at 18:31, Nick_H said:

OK Here you go guys..... Apologies for the shaky video :-)

That, good sir, is 100% the noise I hear.

What's so odd for me is that the noise only really happens (or should I say is noticeably audible) when I apply the break, on any form of uneven Road surface/angled bend. 

I'm not booked in till the middle of May now as Skoda Assist deemed my car save to drive and not an urgent fix. But will not be happy if I'm constantly getting it lubricated at dealer over the 3 year warranty! 

• Like 1

Yeah Def same Dilz. 90% worse if braking...... Maybe its a feature to make me feel better now my knees are starting to sound the same ?

• Like 2

On 4/22/2017 at 09:50, Dilz said:

Would be keen to hear the outcome of your dealer's investigation. And the courtesy car not having the noise might also mean it's a problem that occurs to older cars? 

My dealer couldn't hear it and couldn't see any issues with the front suspension so did nothing (I expected them to at least squirt some lubricant around) and I still have the noise. They also couldn't hear the door cards rattle so did nothing. I still have that noise too. I did suggest that they pop to my house and drive to work with me at 7am to hear both noises but didn't take up the offer.

They did fix the squeaky door seals as there's a TPI (technical bulletin thing) out for them. They also replaced the two hatchback electric struts as they were leaking and they re-seated the chrome trim properly.

Show them my vid.... waiting to hear from Bickertons. Great bunch but mailed them last week and not heard anything yet which is a bit disappointing :-( Must be a reason though. Hate to take the car anywhere else because I trust their service guys.

Mine does it a lot now... when you're tuned into it and the car is quiet. Not bad if you have music on and the air con but sometimes I just like a nice quiet car....that's when you notice if the most.

• Like 2