Creaking and groaning suspension : non active suspension

Mine is non-stop. Always making that f#@kin' noise the moment these conditions are met: brake applied on uneven road. 

A question - if Skoda claim it's not a "problem" and I should just live with it, what routes can someone take? I have a c.£30k car that's just over a year old... And for damn sure won't be just "living with it". 

• Like 1

They wont. Maybe if it had been like this from new but it hasn't. For over a year I had a nice limo quiet car. Now that's changed = something's ###### up and needs fixing :-)

• Like 1

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:41, unclerichy said:

Mine's with the dealer at the moment for the same noise (DCC suspension). Only happens when the car is cold and only over the first few speed bumps on the way to work. I don't have my foot on the brake when going over said bumps and it makes the groaning noise.

It's also in for (possibly) leaking hatch struts, vibrating door cards, creaking door seals and mis-aligned chrome trim. The latter has only happened since it when in for the chrome trim recall.

Interestingly I have a Superb 1.4 150 ACT SE courtesy car on 17"s. The suspension is silent as the grave and the ride is much quieter and less bumpy (yes, I know that 17" vs 19" will make some difference, but not that much).  The throttle take-up (it's a manual) is also much more 'perky' than my DSG.

Maybe the 16k price difference between that and my 280 L&K buys me the extra noises :sadsmile:

Any news ?

13 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

"standard phenomenon"(Škoda reserved)

half of population enjoys noisy cars, my video has collected 6 dislikes :)

To be fair that's a different noise to the one we are having. I don't want to dilute the thread with loads of different noises. Lets keep it specific please.

On 4/28/2017 at 13:10, Nick_H said:

Any news ?

See post #62 :)

In summary - Bickertons couldn't hear anything on a test drive and didn't lubricate any bushes so just as squeaky/clunky before when cold.  The Golf DCC clip you posted is exactly the noise I get, with an occasional 'sproing' for good measure.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, unclerichy said:

See post #62 :)

In summary - Bickertons couldn't hear anything on a test drive and didn't lubricate any bushes so just as squeaky/clunky before when cold.  The Golf DCC clip you posted is exactly the noise I get, with an occasional 'sproing' for good measure.

Ouch ... Mines booked in in a couple of weeks. Always had fantastic service from Bickertons so hopefully they will be able to replicate it. Have you seen the other video I did of my car over the page ? I've sent that to them so they know i'm not dreaming it :-)

What's your next plan of action ? It must be happening to loads of cars or maybe we are just unlucky lol !!

If we dont get it fixed then next time our paths cross in town we will probably hear each other first ....

18 hours ago, Nick_H said:

What's your next plan of action ? It must be happening to loads of cars or maybe we are just unlucky lol !!

I'm leaving it for now - let me know what they say when they've viewed your video.

Interestingly I went out just over an hour ago (haven't used the since car since 16:30 yesterday) and the car reported 15degC - no noise. I'm certain it's down to cold components being tighter and thus squeakier.

3 hours ago, unclerichy said:

I'm leaving it for now - let me know what they say when they've viewed your video.

Interestingly I went out just over an hour ago (haven't used the since car since 16:30 yesterday) and the car reported 15degC - no noise. I'm certain it's down to cold components being tighter and thus squeakier.

Will do. Thing is though why hasn't it done it from new ? This started on my car 6 months ago and is getting worse. Does when cold or hot...

Trouble is if the dealer has to understand that it mainly does when braking. If they don't get that then they probably won't replicate the problem.

3 hours ago, Nick_H said:

Not good. You going back ?

I had a follow up call from the dealer the other day which i missed, so i called them back.... still waiting for them to call me back.

I will be booking the car in again, more than likely 1st week of June onwards as im away and will advise i dont want it back till its fixed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

OK update from me. Left motor with Bickertons at 7:30. They have spent ages looking at the car this morning and have been able to replicate the problem. They have sent a video of the sound to Skoda. Not sure if that's my own from this thread or another they did.

Paul on service said they had also downloaded and included logs with the vid so hopefully any data generated from suspension related sensors may also flag anything that's out of limits.

They also have a new Service Manager at Bickertons. Kevin has gone to fields anew and Joe who was previously on the Service Desk has taken over so that's great news.

Pauls going to keep me posted so at least the wheels are now in motion !

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick_H said:

OK update from me. Left motor with Bickertons at 7:30. They have spent ages looking at the car this morning and have been able to replicate the problem. They have sent a video of the sound to Skoda. Not sure if that's my own from this thread or another they did.

Paul on service said they had also downloaded and included logs with the vid so hopefully any data generated from suspension related sensors may also flag anything that's out of limits.

They also have a new Service Manager at Bickertons. Kevin has gone to fields anew and Joe who was previously on the Service Desk has taken over so that's great news.

Pauls going to keep me posted so at least the wheels are now in motion !

Mines going in to Allams in Epsom first thing Tuesday. Will demonstrate the noise and leave with them and advise of what your chaps are doing. Hopefully - with a two pronged attack from Allams and Bickertons, Skoda will do something and fast! 

• Like 1

Yeah it's really bizarre .... I hear my sound when on uneven ground etc occasionally.... BUT braking just about every time and much worse... Why is this ?

Knackered Bushes and braking and the subsequent extra transfer of energy associated with it into the bush ?

Movement of components in the actual braking system ?

I dunno.... Doesn't make sense to me ...

They called me to say noise is gone after greasing bushes and suspension. So returned loan car and thanked them. Started driving home... And it wasn't gone. 

So back it went with a firm request to actually fix it properly! 

• Like 2

Bickerton Service guys really have been spot on. I have total confidence in them. Recommend 100%.

Mines going back in early June. Owned new Skodas since 2002 and wouldn't go anywhere else.

Thanks guys for posting info on this. Had my car for nearly 2 months and done 7k miles, and for the first time this weekend I heard the front suspension creaking/groaning sound when going over a full width speed bump (low speed, and not driving out of the ordinary). Your posts have made me feel a bit happier that it's not just my car, so I'll watch with interest what happens in this thread, then get it booked in once there are a few success stories. 

• Like 1

Mine does this occasionally (L&K so has DCC)... I just think it's the CV boots creaking slightly, and I can hear it (only just) because my 220 engine is so nice and quiet..

My friend has a Golf GTE and it does the same thing, audible because the car is electric and is super quiet. His also has creaking CV boots when on full lock, reversing into a space etc. Once I'd heard it on his car I was reassured it's probs just a VAG thing & nothing broken/unsafe to worry about.

To be clear, mine is not as bad as in the video posted so I'll keep my ears out and use this thread as ammo with Simpsons if it gets worse :)