Alloy Wheel Centre Caps

I have noticed that the edges of my alloy wheel centre caps are starting to lift...looks like delamination. It's a 65-reg Fabia 3 with 16" alloys and centre caps are factory standard.  Anyone else seen this problem?

All four look like this.  Could it be caused by a pressure washer, or...?  Never had this problem on any car before and been using pressure washers for years.

Any comments welcome...tried searching forum, couldn't find anything relevant.

sn2dNesYSUeWPHn9DtYNWg_thumb_37d8.jpg

Edited by alltorque
Add photo.

Mine are the same.  It's a common problem.  Also had the same on a mark 2 Fabia - the centre caps were replaced under warranty.  I intend to mention the problem at my second service.

Interesting to know people get them replaced on warranty, i shall mention it when mine is serviced as they are going the same. I wonder if a few coats of laquer would help prevent it?

Thanks folks, not just me then. Would be interested to hear of dealers' attitude to warranty replacement. My next service is due in September, so they can wait 'til then.

Mine too, started to go like that within 6 months. I am not a big car washer so I doubt that has caused it for me atleast. To be honest I hadn't given them much thought, but if the rest of you are getting them replaced under warranty I will try to as well. Will need a new set every year I reckon :)

This is a common problem across a few marques of the VAG group. Family members VW touran did same thing, my 2013 Skoda Octavia did it as well. My Fabia is fine though, but that'll be because I have wheel trims and not alloys! (I know, wheel trims as standard In this day and age!):D

6 hours ago, Pumatron said:

This is a common problem across a few marques of the VAG group. Family members VW touran did same thing, my 2013 Skoda Octavia did it as well. My Fabia is fine though, but that'll be because I have wheel trims and not alloys! (I know, wheel trims as standard In this day and age!):D

Nothing wrong with wheel trims. In fact, with the fashion for black alloys, I often think folk might be better off, financially, with nice shiny black steel wheels, and not even bother with trims. Yes, I understand about unsprung weight and all that, but does it truly make any appreciable difference in a cooking family hatch...or most other road cars, come to that?

Had 4 sets replaced under warranty on 4 Skodas in the last 6 years. They will replace them no quibble if under 3 years old.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, alltorque said:

Nothing wrong with wheel trims. In fact, with the fashion for black alloys, I often think folk might be better off, financially, with nice shiny black steel wheels, and not even bother with trims. Yes, I understand about unsprung weight and all that, but does it truly make any appreciable difference in a cooking family hatch...or most other road cars, come to that?

Totally agree with "nothing wrong with wheel trims" statement. I quite like being the minority now as many cars now have alloys as standard. It gives me some stealth before unleashing all 59 horsesB).

Going back to the wheel centers, I think it's a case of water/salt getting under the laquer and reacting with the silver emblem. My family member with the VW Touran did find some replacements that didn't have the shiny finish and have lasted 2 years now without issue. I'm not sure if there are different Skoda ones available but think a popular online auction site seems to be the place of choice to buy more.:)

Just another little lack of quality issue perhaps.  My old Mk 1 Fabia vRS centre caps were as good as new, at 4 years old and had been through a couple of bad Winters. My Volvo S60 centre caps were like new at 11 years / 120k miles, so supect it's a manufacruring/spec problem.

wonder if Audi centre caps are any better, or maybe just fit Volvo ones for a laugh...and see if anyone notices.

You take care when unleashing all those horses. It only takes one rogue and they'll all be off across the fields in pursuit. You'll be left hanging on for dear life, like some stagecoach driver in an old B&W film...and they only had 4 horses. Dangerous things, horses.

Have a great week.

I think even the Audi ones have issues, I found that on a set of used 18" alloys I use on my S4 in winter, the plastic seems to have aged and that has caused cracking, that and the fixing lugs breaking off meant that I needed to buy a new set. The set on the 19" summer wheels seem to be okay after 2 years and 4 summers.

Surely there needs to be a better way to close off that centre hole and still have the wheels looking okay - maybe they need to go back to using mainly plastic and stop this desire for a smart looking(for a few months) top finishing trim that looks nasty after water has crept under it. That "milky look" used to be a VAG marque big issue on the door surrounds etc.

• 2 weeks later...

It is not pressure washing. I hand wash car and wheels and even polish the alloys with Autoglym HD wax and mine have gone the same way. The surface has peeled off the plastic backing. How much are they to replace from the stealers?

Edited by edbostan