Returning to a Superb

Hi Folks,

I used to have a MkII Superb Estate in Elegance trim but I've had a BMW 335d for the last couple of years.

Love the beemer and the ZF 8 speed auto is pretty much perfect. That all said I miss the room in the Superb and I really like the look of the MKIII.

Popped into Simpsons in Preston at the weekend and drove a 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TDI, both sportlines.

To be fair I was quite impressed with the 1.4 and thought it was the better drive of the two with the TDI being quite gruff. My main concern was DSG, after the ZF box in the beemer I am totally sold on auto and won't be going back to manual unless I have too.

Having driven a Seat Leon 2.0 TDI DSG it left me far from impressed the way it hunted gears and not changing down to almost stalling point. Both the test drives were a different world however and much better and close to the ZF.

Although any engine in the Skoda range going to be a step down from the grunt and refinement of the 6 pot in the 335, I think I am going to settle on the 220bhp TSI.

I am in two minds over the panoramic sunroof but other than that the spec i am thinking of is:

• L&K Trim
  • Beige interior
  • Quartz Grey
  • 19" Phoenix anthracite alloys
  • Gear paddles

One of my frustrations with sales is that no matter who they asked, no one could fully explain plethora of options to do with the entertainment system.

So my question is, given the high spec of the L&K, what other options might be viewed as essential/good to haves?

Cheers.

Edited by Tron
  • Like 1

To the best of my knowledge Skoda use two DSG gearboxes, I believe the 1.4TSI uses a 7 speed dry clutch and the 2.0TDI uses a 6 speed wet clutch... I'm not sure what they use in the 220TSI?

I have the 2.0TDI with the DSG box and I've been very impressed, I think the two pair up very well. It's as smooth as the CVT in my previous Avensis and it doesn't have any of the hesitancy/jerkiness often reported (and which I experienced on the demonstrators I drove).

I can't comment on the options you've listed other than to say we've got the Quartz Grey and we think it looks gorgeous. I was worried it might show the dirt but it's actually not bad....

1 hour ago, Whaty said:

To the best of my knowledge Skoda use two DSG gearboxes, I believe the 1.4TSI uses a 7 speed dry clutch and the 2.0TDI uses a 6 speed wet clutch... I'm not sure what they use in the 220TSI?

I have the 2.0TDI with the DSG box and I've been very impressed, I think the two pair up very well. It's as smooth as the CVT in my previous Avensis and it doesn't have any of the hesitancy/jerkiness often reported (and which I experienced on the demonstrators I drove).

I can't comment on the options you've listed other than to say we've got the Quartz Grey and we think it looks gorgeous. I was worried it might show the dirt but it's actually not bad....

The DSG in my 220TSI is a 6 Speed, not technical so dry / wet means nothing to me.

Get the Gear Paddles, can often make for a "more entertaining" drive and yes it looks great in Quartz Grey.