Anyone have 20" alloys on their S3??

i have 18" at the moment but tempted to changed to 19" or 20" would prefer 20" but wonder if it will ruin ride quality??

cheers guys.

IMG_1138.JPG

My opinion is that the ride would in all probability be ruined if you go beyond what are available as options, but I would prefer 17"wheels and not the 18" wheels I have got. I think your car looks great. Also remember a) that you can't see the wheels when driving, B) that you might feel every bump and c) it's the tyres that do the work, not the wheels and the shallower the tyre side-wall, the harder they have to work.

• Like 1

Yeh it is fair point 100andthirty 

Just like big wheels, seen the 19's on a few and think they look amazing, certainly going to have a good think, the ride quality with 18's seems really good but be interesting if anyone actually has 19's / 20's??

I have 19” summer and winter wheels/tyres and I have previously used 17” winter wheels/tyres, the S3 drives really nice on 19’s even when the DCC is in sport mode... better than my MKII Superb on 18’s.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 100andthirty said:

but I would prefer 17"wheels and not the 18" wheels I have got. I think your car looks great. Also remember a) that you can't see the wheels when driving, B) that you might feel every bump

+1

and 17" can also look very impressive (17" STRATOS i left for winter)

58fb32d9f07bc_20170421_17_Avus_AC-515_Black_Polished_2_ed.thumb.jpg.b6c7b5c68a4d83a286abf9e3ff84f0ae.jpg

2 hours ago, Gizmo68 said:

the S3 drives really nice on 19’s even when the DCC is in sport mode... better than my MKII Superb on 18’s.

maybe better than previous Superb,

but definitely lot worse than my previous 2009 Hyundai Sonata with 104 000 km on the ODO

I find the ride/suspension poor on my S3, in all honesty. Certainly for progressive driving. It's a nice enough motor saved by a peach of an engine, but the suspension on mine is crashy and noisy as you like. It tends to hit the bumpstops far too easily on country roads during fast road driving also. A Police class 1 driver/instructor friend of mine commented he'd never seen any car bottom out its suspension on a particular stretch of road in his 30 years of teaching - but mine did, very loudly and jarringly indeed! It wasn't even a particularly uneven road surface. I actually took it back to the dealership to be checked for transport blocks or similar it was so bad (they said no), and the Rapid courtesy car they gave us was like driving on a cloud in comparison - to the extent I was sorry to hand it back, 110ps or no!

That's on 18"s with standard suspension, so I dread to think what 20" would bring. Personally I'd be delighted to swap to 17" or even 16" with a commensurately deeper and more pliable sidewall (provided it didn't proceed to affect grip and cornering).

Some fair comments really, have heard a few people say it is really nice on 19"s but I do wonder if all the people that say that have the DCC so the suspension is really soft, I don't have DCC although I wish I had opted for it now.

i am on 18" and the ride is really nice.

just think 19"'s look really nice.

god knows what to do lol

19's on my Sportline (and of course running on slightly firmer/lower suspension).  Rides lovely.

All things relative of course (I'm coming from an Audi on 20's and super-firm suspension) but to me the Superb on 19's is a perfect mix of comfort and compliance, sprinkled with a little sportiness.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, flogdnaloop said:

Some fair comments really, have heard a few people say it is really nice on 19"s but I do wonder if all the people that say that have the DCC so the suspension is really soft, I don't have DCC although I wish I had opted for it now.

i am on 18" and the ride is really nice.

just think 19"'s look really nice.

god knows what to do lol

I've got 19's as I said above, and the DCC.

It's quite stiff on sport but no overly so.  On Normal it's ok, but can be a bit stiff on rough roads.  On comfort it floats but not overly so.

My last few cars compared:

Audi A6 S-Line on 18's - very similar to the Superb, possibly a bit harsher due to the lowered S Line spec.  Again had different modes, kept it on comfort.

Mondeo Sport on 18's - stiff as a board, very harsh and almost unbearable on rough roads.  Got used to it though, and the tradeoff was great handling.  No option for changing modes so very limited.

Honda Accord on 17's - a mobile couch. Very floaty. Too floaty.

I'm sure the Superb ride in all modes would be softer on 17" or 18" wheels but the 19's do look good.  

I was driving slammed A4 B7 on 19"s Bentleys and i didn't complain, now i have 19"s on my sportline (no dcc) and on my opinion this setup its very soft. The point its that every1 have different meaning of "comfort" and what is to hard/soft for them. My next move will be 20s and lowered springs - 15mm. Even my missus told me that the car is to high. Anyway, go for 20s :)

• Like 1

Go for 20s! :-)

And by the way, if I'm not mistaken, The VW Passat can be ordered with 20s as a factory option, and they are to my best knowledge pretty similar in size and setup.

(I have 19" summer and 18" winter)

• 4 months later...