MK3 VRS 2.0 Pertrol

Hi guys

I took my car to Skoda for a service last weekend and they gave me a nice list back of the things that need doing/replacing one of which was £75 to replace the wipers :o.

Though one of the other items on the list are the brakes. The mechanic there said that one of the front discs was "lipped". Can anyone tell me what that means?

Also, they wanted to charge £645 for a set of new front discs and pads. Is that normal?

5 minutes ago, sirianofmorley said:

Hi guys

I took my car to Skoda for a service last weekend and they gave me a nice list back of the things that need doing/replacing one of which was £75 to replace the wipers :o.

Though one of the other items on the list are the brakes. The mechanic there said that one of the front discs was "lipped". Can anyone tell me what that means?

Also, they wanted to charge £645 for a set of new front discs and pads. Is that normal?

I think it means they want to sell you stuff you don't need..............

I think wipers are about £25/£30 unless there made of Gold

Edited by Auric Goldfinger
  • Like 1

On my Alfa I have exchanged only rubber (Bosch aero rubber compatible). It was like 1-2€ for both on aliexpress and 6-7€ from Amazon.de once, few years ago.

Usually rubber is easy to replace, check your wipers first.

I will do the same when my originals show first weakness. Could be that I still have some Chinese rubber left...

? How many miles has your car covered, which service was this?

Very normal to try and upsell and try to have you replace brake discs that do not need replacing.

It means that customers can not trust them fully and then stuff that is important can be left un-replaced.

46 minutes ago, Mallettsmallett said:

£275 front discs and pads

£200 for a new battery.

This is progress. Aparrently.

Not as bad as BMW ... A mate at work has just been quoted £258 for rear pads only for a 64 plate 320d.

He almost went ahead with the work too until we talked him out of it. Think he paid £150 in the end, which is still too much imo.

Jesus.

Even a li-po doesn't cost that much does it?  I know there's the element of vcds/vagcom a technician needs to run when swapping the battery but looking a the price differential, that equates to sixty five quid on top of the £135 for the battery.

1: that's a ****ing expensive battery. It's just AGM. 

2: £65 is about 45 mins main dealer labour rate do you reckon?

My arse does it take that long.

I'm sorely tempted to short circuit my battery before the warranty runs out....

Edited by Mallettsmallett