Felicia 1.3mpi Temp Gauge

New here.

Recently purchased a Felicia 1.3mpi. The temperature gauge does not work at all though. Has not lifted off 0. From my brief research on here I am thinking the thermostat housing? The heaters inside are working fine, heat changes from hot to cold and cold to hot quickly. Fan settings also work as should. The car does not seem to overheat and as far as I am aware everything is running as should (except gauge). No coolant loss, gunk in oil cap, etc.

Should I change the thermostat housing to see if this fixes the gauge? Any other suggestions?

Hi RicardoM,

Thanks for the reply. I do not have access to a multimeter and am planning on driving from Oxfordshire to Bristol this evening. I am able to get a temperature sensor today though. Do you think I am better off waiting until I have a multimeter to test the current sensor? Or is the sensor common to fault and worth replacing in hope that it will fix the gauge?

Also how does the gauge not working affect the car? Worse fuel economy, yes. It does not seem to overheat though?

Any help is greatly appreciated

On 26/4/2017 at 12:10, Alux said:

The temperature gauge does not work at all though. Has not lifted off 0.

Hi,

Even if you let the car with running engine during 15-20 min ?

Yeah, left it running stood still for around 30 minutes and the gauge didn't move, this was after a drive as well!

I have taken it on a 35 mile one-way trip before involving traffic, country lanes and dual carriageway stretches and still no movement. Got to be the sensor?

Replaced temperature sensor. Gauge is now working but is overheating. The fan is not kicking in either. 

Replace thermostat?

If the fan's not kicking in, I'd think that there's a problem with one of the fan fuse, fan motor and control thermoswitch. Check the fuse first, then the thermoswitch, unless the motor is obviously a lump of rust!

Temperature rises past 110°C and comntinues into the red. Putting the interior heaters on lowers the temperature a little 

Such temperature means the thermostat is stuck closed. Watch out for cooking the head gasket (if not already failed...)