Traffic Jam Assist

12 hours ago, DH- Leeds said:

Mine (DSG box) will happily chug slowly along in a jam.

No special settings - just ACC and lane assist activated.

If you stop for too long and the engine stops you do have to tap the accelerator to move again - not a great hardship and so much better than sitting on the clutch and/or going in and out of first gear.

Only had the DSG for 3 weeks but I'm a convert - not missing manual!

That isn't TJA though unless LA remains active below 65 km/h.

You are correct though, after 3 secs you need to tap the accelerator or RESUME even with TJA.

1 hour ago, andyvee said:

That isn't TJA though unless LA remains active below 65 km/h.

You are correct though, after 3 secs you need to tap the accelerator or RESUME even with TJA.

that is definitely TJA.

Active Lane Assist (ON); Adaptive Cruise Control (OFF) = No TJA.  In this case, LA is only active above 65 km/h.  Below that, it goes "amber".

Active Lane Assist (ON); Adaptive Cruise Control (ON) = TJA.   Active at any speed, down to stopped and resume.  LA light remains green even below 65 km/h.

Which is what I said, LA remains green below 65km/h with ACC and ALG active.

On my Kodiaq it goes back to Amber. I have the auto-hold functionality of ACC but not the TJA functionality, even though it is supposed to be there on the Kodiaq.

Back to the dealer it is then, along with a no doubt protracted discussion with SUK as they won't understand the difference .......

1 hour ago, andyvee said:

Which is what I said, LA remains green below 65km/h with ACC and ALG active.

On my Kodiaq it goes back to Amber. I have the auto-hold functionality of ACC but not the TJA functionality, even though it is supposed to be there on the Kodiaq.

Back to the dealer it is then, along with a no doubt protracted discussion with SUK as they won't understand the difference .......

Hi Andy. So your kodiaq doesn't slow itself down when approaching cars when using acc?

1 hour ago, tigermad said:

Hi Andy. So your kodiaq doesn't slow itself down when approaching cars when using acc?

Yes it does, as long as the car isn't stationary of course.

TJA is the enabling of LA below 65km/h as long as the conditions are met - DSG, LA active with ALG enabled, ACC enabled.

1 minute ago, andyvee said:

Yes it does, as long as the car isn't stationary of course.

TJA is the enabling of LA below 65km/h as long as the conditions are met - DSG, LA active with ALG enabled, ACC enabled.

So it's just the lane assist part not working?"

Mine seems to work, and I've noticed at speeds upto about 7mph (?) the "take over steering" message doesn't appear at all whilst ALG is working... 

Hi everyone, I am going to order a Superb Style 1.4 Tsi DSG with Lane Assist. 
ACC 160 Km/h is included in Style package in Spain.

Could someone with ACC 160 confirm if traffic jam assist works with all features? (auto steer below 65, take off after coming to a complete stop, etc..)

I doubt to add ACC 210 but only if it adds any other functionality regarding traffic  jam assist. Thanks.

2 hours ago, JAP2 said:

I doubt to add ACC 210 but only if it adds any other functionality regarding traffic  jam assist. Thanks.

ACC 160 is the only option in the UK. Our highest speed limit is 70 mph which is 113 km/h so Škoda UK obviously think we don't travel abroad and might find 210 useful!

So yes, if you have the requirements of ACC (160 or 210), DSG and Lane Assist, then you will have Traffic Jam Assist (unless you buy a Kodiaq or an Australian Superb, it seems :sadsmile:).

TJA is not a separate menu option you can switch off independently. It's an integral feature that operates automatically when ACC is switched on, the speed is below 60 km/h, lane markings have been detected, and it has previously detected a moving vehicle ahead (it won't detect traffic that's already stationary so don't go steaming towards stationary traffic at the back of a jam or stopped at a junction and expect it to slow you down - it won't).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BillyJim said:

ACC 160 is the only option in the UK. Our highest speed limit is 70 mph which is 113 km/h so Škoda UK obviously think we don't travel abroad and might find 210 useful!

So yes, if you have the requirements of ACC (160 or 210), DSG and Lane Assist, then you will have Traffic Jam Assist (unless you buy a Kodiaq or an Australian Superb, it seems :sadsmile:).

TJA is not a separate menu option you can switch off independently. It's an integral feature that operates automatically when ACC is switched on, the speed is below 60 km/h, lane markings have been detected, and it has previously detected a moving vehicle ahead (it won't detect traffic that's already stationary so don't go steaming towards stationary traffic at the back of a jam or stopped at a junction and expect it to slow you down - it won't).

Your reply is very clarifying for me. I didn't know that ACC 210 is not available in UK. In Spain speed limit is 120 Km/h so I don't see any reason to pay for ACC 210. Thanks.

Do you guys know if TJA is available in all countries? Looked at every spec in Sweden but nomatter what I choose TJA isn't available as an option.

Could it be a "package" with lane assist even though it's listed as two separate things in UK?

What's named in my spec is - lane assist, smart light assist, blind spot detect, Front assist, Travel assist.

All of those uses the camera I believe? If so - TJA activation through OBDeleven or VCDS should be possible?

There's others sorts of assists to but nothing to do with front camera.

I can only go on what I've read on here - my car isn't due for a few months...

I thought TJA relied on you having enabled ACC, LA and that you have a DSG. I assume it will just work on mine because I've ordered it with LA (as part of Smart Light Assist), it's a DSG... I suppose I could have risked getting someone using VCDS on it if I simply had the speed camera option (got that too).

7 hours ago, Baverhanne said:

Do you guys know if TJA is available in all countries? Looked at every spec in Sweden but nomatter what I choose TJA isn't available as an option.

All of those uses the camera I believe? If so - TJA activation through OBDeleven or VCDS should be possible?

Hi Folks. There seems to be a bit of confusion of what TJA actually is and how it's supposed to be used. Perhaps I can help to clarify that here? You'll discover it's actually no great shakes.

Let me start by re-emphasing that TJA is not a 'factory fitted option' that you choose to have nor does it need to be 'enabled'. It's part and parcel of the ACC software that integrates with the Lane Assist regardless of whether you have it set to the vanilla Lane Assist or Adaptive Lane Assist. So long as your car has the minimum requirements ~ DSG + ACC + Lane Assist ~ then you have TJA.***

This is how ACC works if either: 1. You don't have Lane Assist, 2. Lane Assist is not enabled, or 3. Lane Assist is enabled but cannot detect any lane markings (amber).

ACC is active and brakes you to a complete stop behind a vehicle that it had previously detected moving but is now stationary.

If the vehicle in front moves off within a couple of seconds of stopping then ACC will automatically accelerate your car once your pre-set ACC distance (gap) to the car in front has opened up.

If you're stopped for more than a couple of seconds the ACC will go into a standby mode and you will see a message on the MFD that ACC is ready to resume.

When the vehicle in front moves off you need to pull the ACC stalk back (it's marked 'Resume') or give the throttle a quick dab. This will restart the engine (if applicable), your car will accelerate and ACC will resume matching the speed and gap to the car in front.

This is not TJA.

Traffic Jam Assist is fundamentally the same as above but requires Lane Assist active with road markings detected (green). The only difference is you now control it with the steering wheel.

When ACC brings your car to a complete stop behind a now-stationary vehicle you need to TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF THE STEERING WHEEL to activate TJA.

When the vehicle in front moves off you only need to PUT YOUR HANDS BACK ON THE STEERING WHEEL and your car will move forward and resume ACC.

If you keep your hands on the steering wheel for more than a couple of seconds after ACC has brought your car to a complete stop then TJA is no longer active and ACC goes into standby mode. You will need to pull back on the ACC stalk or dab the throttle to resume.

Unfortunately the pi$$-poor owner's manual is quite good at saying what is needed for TJA to activate but not how you're actually supposed to use it. There is a short animated video of how it's supposed to be used here.

On 18/08/2017 at 14:07, BillyJim said:

then you will have Traffic Jam Assist (unless you buy a Kodiaq or an Australian Superb, it seems :sadsmile:).

The issue with some cars seems to be a software fault with the Lane Assist not remaining enabled below the 60 kph threshold when ACC is active. It's not that they don't have TJA, it's just that TJA never meets the parameters to become activated. There is a Škoda software update to rectify this that can only be done at a Škoda approved workshop.

• Thanks 4

TJA is not a function you can directly turn on/off.

if u have certain features in ur car, and they're turned on, then the TJA will kick in.

with Lane Assist, you need the version with "Adaptive Lane Guidance", and ensure both are turned on via the Car Infotainement Settings under Driver Assistance.
see screenshot.

ALG.jpg

i have an MY17 Superb. It is specced with DSG, ACC (active cruise), Lane Assist (with Adaptive Lane Guidance).

i can use the car in the following combos:-
1. Lane Assist

• ACC = OFF
  • LA = ON
  • ALG = OFF

activates above 65 km/h. when i hit the lane, the car will vibrate and bounce back. it doesn't keep the car centred in the lane.

2. Lane Assist with Adaptive Lane Guidance

• ACC = OFF
  • LA = ON
  • ALG = ON

as above activates above 65 km/h, however this time it keeps the car in the centre of the lane markings. works on straight roads, and long curvey roads.
brilliant for motorways.
even with me holding the wheel, and i'm starting to move off centre, it will correct the steering and recentre the car.
i can drive totally handsfree, however, it only allows 12 secs of handsfree operation, after which it will display a message saying to take over the steering. if i don't, it will vibrate the steering. if i still don't, it will brake sharply for 1 sec. if i still don't, it switch on the hazard lights and come to complete stop within the lane.
the ALG also makes use of the blind-spot monitoring sensors.

3. Active Cruise Control Only, no Lane Assist

• ACC = ON
  • LA = OFF
  • ALG = OFF

as per normal cruise control, but in addition keeps the distance to the car infront of you.
it will NOT bring the car to a complete stop if the car infront of u does.

4. Traffic Jam Assist

• ACC = ON
  • LA = ON
  • ALG = ON

as above for lane guidance, however this time it also works below 65 km/h, down to a standstill.
as above for active cruise, however this time, will brake for u to a complete stop, and resume when the car infront starts moving. if the car has been stopped for more than 3 secs, a flick of the resume switch is all that is required.
brilliant for traffic jams or creeps.
combined with ACC, i can drive handsfree and legsfree.

Edited by JR RS

11 minutes ago, JR RS said:

1 - with Lane Assist, you need the version with "Adaptive Lane Guidance", and ensure both are turned on via the Car Infotainement Settings under Driver Assistance.

2 - the ALG also makes use of the blind-spot monitoring sensors.

3 - it will NOT bring the car to a complete stop if the car infront of u does.

1. Adaptive isn't needed. TJA works with ordinary Lane Guidance so long as at least one lane marking is detected.
  2. Adaptive Lane Guidance doesn't use the blind-spot sensors, only the forward facing camera. The blind-spot 'sensors' you refer to are two radar units mounted at an angle in each corner behind the rear valance. Radar can't see road markings! Quote from the manual - If a vehicle is detected in the “blind spot” area, the system indicates this vehicle by the indicator light in the exterior mirror. The radar sensors (following known as sensors) are located under the rear bumper and are not visible from the outside. When driving the sensors monitor an area to the left and right to the extent of a normal lane width.
  3. ACC (Adaptive Cruise Control) alone will bring a DSG equipped car to a complete stop so long as the vehicle ahead was already detected as a moving object when it came into the ACC radar detection range (about 150 metres) before it came to a stop. The ACC radar will not detect a vehicle that was already stationary when it came into radar range. Quote from the manual - "Vehicles with an automatic transmission can decelerate to a standstill and start moving again using the ACC. If a vehicle ahead decelerates to a standstill, the ACC will also decelerate your vehicle to a standstill."

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, BillyJim said:
  1. Adaptive isn't needed. TJA works with ordinary Lane Guidance so long as at least one lane marking is detected

The Kodiaq manual explicitly states that ALG needs to be enabled under LA for TJA to activate, but we know manuals aren't always correct.

Once I get the software update on mine I will be able to tell ....

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/08/2017 at 04:39, BillyJim said:
  1. Adaptive isn't needed. TJA works with ordinary Lane Guidance so long as at least one lane marking is detected.

On the Kodiaq I can now confirm that 97CN Service Campaign does fix TJA, and that ALG does most definitely need to be enabled.

Why the system operates differently between Superb and Kodiaq is a mystery to me!

• 2 months later...

Interesting enough, I had a chance to drive the new Audi A4 for the weekend and it also have traffic jam assist along with lane assist.

However, thinking that it was the same as Skoda was a big mistake.

It seems like the Audi system behaves very differently, the TJA is very inconsistent and only appears when there are multiple cars around you (like in a traffic jam situation) also the lane assit is hopeless in comparison to the skoda. It doesn't really keep you in the lane (like the skoda lane guidance). Instead it only passively respond when you go near the line.

I also find the system go active and de-active relatively quickly and inconsistently.

The Skoda Superb system is far superior imo. 

6 hours ago, cyberkank said:

Interesting enough, I had a chance to drive the new Audi A4 for the weekend and it also have traffic jam assist along with lane assist.

However, thinking that it was the same as Skoda was a big mistake.

It seems like the Audi system behaves very differently, the TJA is very inconsistent and only appears when there are multiple cars around you (like in a traffic jam situation) also the lane assit is hopeless in comparison to the skoda. It doesn't really keep you in the lane (like the skoda lane guidance). Instead it only passively respond when you go near the line.

I also find the system go active and de-active relatively quickly and inconsistently.

The Skoda Superb system is far superior imo. 

The Audi system has 2 variants, one with Adaptive Lane Guidance, and one without.

It sounds like Adapative Lane Guidance was either turned off or not there ....

I wonder if  like the Skoda TJA, there are two settings for lane assist. You can have the Skoda alert you that you are straying from lane or the active version that does the steering.