Traffic Jam Assist

19 hours ago, rtj70 said:

This demo shows active lane assist is not good enough really but the 12s hands-off timer can be overcome:

Of course I must do this all the time including through red lights and over/through roundabouts :-)

If there is any post that needs reporting it is idiotic posts like this that encourage dangerous driving, but I won't report it as I have a sense of humour and understand you are not encouraging others to be idiots.

But it does explain why you get the Fatigue warning so often.

9 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

This is interesting. Complete guess on my part, but what distance from the car in front do you have set on the ACC? Does the response change if you increase it? (BTW I know I'm asking you to teach me to swim by describing it, which is of course impossible :-)

I am grateful for the responses though.) 

I'm on my 3rd car with ACC and will soon have my 4th - 2 Octavia 3's and a Kodiaq, plus another Kodiaq to come. I've driven at least 4 different Superb 3's with ACC, and every car has been different on the distance from the car in front when on the default 'Medium' setting. Over they years they seem to have got more conservative and increased the distance.

If you change the distance using the lever on the stalk it is an immediate change.

I find the medium setting on the Kodiaq leaves too big a gap - you are forever getting cars jumping in between you and the car in front, and as others have said, the system can be a bit late to react for my liking and brake quite hard, so I find I am dabbing the brakes if that happens so the car behind isn't having to suddenly brake. I like having the larger gap though, as in mid-speed congestion on the motorway you quite often take up the slack and the car in front speeds up again and you have maintained a fairly steady speed - good for comfort, fuel economy and safe driving as you aren't braking then accelerating over and over again.

It is all down to personal preference, have a play but don't get too hung up on it. I wouldn't have a car without ACC now, it makes for comfortable long distance driving, and is very useful in average speed zones and also round town as long as it has the Stop/Go function which will bring you to a stop and automatically start you off again if the traffic moves within about 5 seconds. The earlier systems had a longer hold period on the Stop/Go, but they seem to have changed that as well over time.

The early Skoda implementations of ACC didn't have Stop/Go, or the Speed Limiter mode either.

By comparison, the ACC in my O3's was quite primitive to what you get now, and the first of those was registered April 2013.

Tried it today, ACC and the Lane Assist.

Driving on a dual carriageway out of Chesterfield,  long sweeping bends and some traffic.

Set to 80, and off we went, a few steering take over warnings but for the most of the journey to the M1 the car drove itself. 

Remember to cancel it at an island/junction, when the car in front leaves the island so will you......

13 hours ago, vfrvrs said:

Tried it today, ACC and the Lane Assist.

Driving on a dual carriageway out of Chesterfield,  long sweeping bends and some traffic.

Set to 80, and off we went, a few steering take over warnings but for the most of the journey to the M1 the car drove itself. 

Remember to cancel it at an island/junction, when the car in front leaves the island so will you......

I know that road well, I lived in Chesterfield for 18 years and remember the bypass being built!

You aren't supposed to let go of the wheel though ............

2 hours ago, andyvee said:

I know that road well, I lived in Chesterfield for 18 years and remember the bypass being built!

You aren't supposed to let go of the wheel though ............

I know as it is only an assist system but it was good to experience it's ability. 

A lot of cars costing thousands more don't have this system.

Drove over 400 miles (almost all motorway) and the auto steering and ACC was excellent. Of course I held on to the steering wheel at all times but the car did I'd say 95+% of the steering and 98% of the throttle and brakes.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/07/2017 at 22:47, tigermad said:

We do have this in the UK :-) 

I have a late 2016 l&K with lane assist. If this Traffic Jam Assist is something else is this really a simple software update?

Its a DSG but I can't find any reference to Traffic Jam Assist anywhere in the car i.e large screen display, instrument console, Maxi Dot etc so just wondered how you could tell?

Cheers

There is no option as such for traffic jam assist. It is simply using active cruise control and active lane assist. If both are on and your speed is below 40mph you have enabled traffic jam assist.

It's in the manual. It combines ACC and Lane Assist (plus Active Lane Guidance? not sure...) to give semi-autonomous driving (kind of) in stop-start traffic. No coding etc needed AFAIK.

image.png.3eb6a518657c46ad200ff8f1e986bf86.png

Sorry I can't give any more detail - I'm waiting for my car so haven't tried it yet.

Edit - Just seen rtj's reply. Listen to him rather than me - he actually has a car with TJA :-)

Edited by BriskodaJeff

21 hours ago, rtj70 said:

It is simply using active cruise control and active lane assist.

Quick question rtj if I may? Is yours a "standard" L+K? The cars I am looking at are all shown as having Lane Assist but I don't know if that includes Active Lane Assist or not.

Mine is an SE L Executive. I added this as an option. I think if you have lane assist you have both. Although active lane assist is enabled separately from lane assist in the Maxi-Dot.

I am sure you will enjoy your L&K very much. Although the SEL Exec offers a level of interior comfort and driver accessories on a par with many high end limos the L&K offers even more goodies, everywhere you look inside you will be reminded that your driving the best of Skoda's Flagship car. 

My SE L Exec is a company car so BIK taxation was a consideration. I have a lot of the options that come as standard on the L&K (and some that are options even on an L&K) but the SE L Executive is cheaper because of BIK tax. I'd have to get a 220PS 2.0TSI or a 150PS 2.0TDI DSG which have much higher emissions and list prices are higher too.

The SEL Exec is indeed a very fine car and if I was looking for a Company car with Bik to consider I would also choose the SEL L Exec over the L&K. As for choice of engine I know the 2 litre TSI is a rapid car but I still like diesels and my DSG 190 4x4 gets me about quickly enough.