S3 SEL or Octy 3 L&K

kezwald

As the title suggests I'm looking at either the Superb 3 SEL or the Octy 3 L&K and would appreciate some advice/opinions of what you all think to be the better. It is worth noting the Octy 3 L&K is coming in just over £700 cheaper as the dealer has one in stock, The S3 would be a factory order.

I'm thinking of the 150 Tid in either variety and has anybody got any real life fuel consumption figures on both is it adequate power wise ?. I would also be interested in maybe the 2.0 TSI 220 S3 depending on real life fuel consumption. I wouldn't really be interested in the S3 280 or Octy 3 VRS as its going to be a family plodder more than anything, and I have my Saab TTID which is mapped to 238bhp and a Pug 205 GTI totally race prepared 320bhp which is used mainly for track although is road legal if one must.

Ok now down to a few options if I went the S3 route and would value your opinion if anybody has them as standard fit or optional extras

1, would you recommend the park assist or a rear camera and front sensors which would be more expensive than just adding park assist this one is from a woman's point of view lol

2, has anybody successfully added a rear camera and front sensors as a aftermarket thought and is the camera a cheaper option aftermarket than specing it as a factory option.

3, the LED package plus, although a gimmick kind of a classy touch lol

What is the S3 like in the back seat wise as the Mrs will be in the back when on family outings with the kid as she is pondering whether a more upright back would be more comfortable i.e what the Kuga has more upright as she does get the odd twinge in her back.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure there will be more questions lol after I test drive both cars next week although I'm blown away by both cars tbh

My Octavia elegance estate with the 150 TDI goes really well. Mum, girlfriend and neices happy in the back even behind a well reclined front seat.

Economy, easy to get 55mpg when putting foot down too. Relaxed driving 60mpg no probs. Long term average is about 58 i think. Mostly i drive rural roads, and it overtakes like a dream. A good surge! Just have to watch out as it's easy to overtake and hit 70+ without realising. Mind you are probably used to that with your other motors!

All the tech goodies on the L&K would be nice.

Hope that is of some assistance.

Thanks the tech goodies on the Octy 3 L&K kinda swayed me a bit especially at the slighter lower price which would see a greater increase if I was to spec a couple of options on the S3 SEL

But in real life how much would I actually take advantage of all this tech when the novelty wore off lol

I must admit I slivered nicely into the S3 :-) but the Octy 3 being a similar size to the Saab 9-3 which the other half is use to driving hence why I would be considering the actual safety options above . the led + package was I think just me trying to take 30+ yrs of my life lol although kinda like it lol

think ive enough pleasure with the saab and pug hence why I wouldn't like to be tempted with the 280 as it may sway me and just trying to stay practical and fuel conscious with what would become the main family car. AS for the kuga biggest mistake ive made for a long time imo 

25 minutes ago, Coops said:

S3 SE-L.

That's all I have to say.

what is fuel consumption like and does it have more than ample power through the range ? although I considering manual at this point figures shouldn't be to far off

1 hour ago, Coops said:

Average 45.

Have you looked at real world figures for Octavia? There is a thread in the S3 section.

Your fuelly reads 37.8 average.

Last time i checked i was pretty real world! Long term average on the car is 58.

14 minutes ago, amwphotos said:

Your fuelly reads 37.8 average.

Last time i checked i was pretty real world! Long term average on the car is 58.

Perhaps you view is defaulting to US measurements, as mine us definitely above that:

wp_ss_20170429_0002.thumb.png.b448b1bdd41f3752c98fcf547d71a774.png

Apologies, yes on US units! Shame all the engines in fuelly are L4 v4 v2 etc and all the results are muddled.

Still, 46 is quite a way below 58. Comes down to do you need the extra room, although i did just sleep in the back of my Octavia, spacious!

• Like 1

As good as the DSG box is imo you are going to get a few more mpg out of a manual and the same applies to estate vs saloon in real life

so if went for the S3 manual saloon I would ruff guess 4-8mpg over and above what Coops is getting after its run in of course ?

Can anyone give me more insight on these please,

Ok now down to a few options if I went the S3 route and would value your opinion if anybody has them as standard fit or optional extras

1, would you recommend the park assist or a rear camera and front sensors which would be more expensive than just adding park assist this one is from a woman's point of view lol

2, has anybody successfully added a rear camera and front sensors as a aftermarket thought and is the camera a cheaper option aftermarket than specing it as a factory option.

What is the S3 like in the back seat wise as the Mrs will be in the back when on family outings with the kid as she is pondering whether a more upright back would be more comfortable i.e what the Kuga has more upright as she does get the odd twinge in her back.

another question re the dvd drive ... is it possible to watch dvd's and can you disable so you got the option of watching dvds on the move ? when little one in the car

18 hours ago, kezwald said:

another question re the dvd drive ... is it possible to watch dvd's and can you disable so you got the option of watching dvds on the move ?

It’s illegal to have a DVD / TV picture in view whilst driving which is why it turns the screen off when you pull away, but yes it can be overcome by someone with VCP (VCP Owners map).

4 minutes ago, kezwald said:

Can anyone give me more insight on these please,

another question re the dvd drive ... is it possible to watch dvd's and can you disable so you got the option of watching dvds on the move ? when little one in the car

1/ I have park assist and the rear camera, the park assist also gives you extra parking sensors on each wheel arch so even if you still do not activate it you get extra sensor coverage.

2/ It can be done but you will not save any money over a factory fitted kit (if you use genuine parts) the camera will also only cover the rear of the car whereas park assist covers all round the car.

3/ Personally I think the LED package adds a lot of classiness in the dark.

There is no shortage of leg room in the rear of any Superb, the short journeys I have done in the rear (less than 10 miles) I cannot find any fault at all with comfort.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 12:34, Gizmo68 said:

1/ I have park assist and the rear camera, the park assist also gives you extra parking sensors on each wheel arch so even if you still do not activate it you get extra sensor coverage.

2/ It can be done but you will not save any money over a factory fitted kit (if you use genuine parts) the camera will also only cover the rear of the car whereas park assist covers all round the car.

3/ Personally I think the LED package adds a lot of classiness in the dark.

1/ so you prefer PA rather than RVC ? only thoughts I'm having would like both but in real world terms how often would I use PA and the extra cost of it all against going for the full hog L&K and having everything if you get what I'm saying

2/ for the price £350 my thoughts are when I think about it, is it really worth the hassle of pulling everything apart which could cause a potential rattle issue

3/ my thoughts and again for the price a long with the hassle if I retro fit LEDs in door handles which would not be as good so a well priced option imo.

with the RVC from what ive read on the forum and from the brochure you've got to add the rear wiper (BUMMER) am I correct and for what reason a wash facility on the camera.

what VCDS do you all have and where from cheapo ebay or the more expensive ones

I would not really have an issue with anything related to the CAN side of things as its part of my daily work, which makes me think its worth getting if the price is right

Thanks all again

Yes if I had to choose between PA and the RVC then PA would win (for the all round sensor coverage) fortunately I could choose both though.

The RVC now has a washer nozzle to clean the lens, hence why you have to choose the rear wiper as well, I ordered mine before the washer nozzle was fitted so have no rear wiper, given a choice of RVC and wiper or no RVC and wiper I would probable not order the RVC as I think the wiper spoils the rear of the car.

I have HEX-NET VCDS, a cheap eBay cable will not work on the car unless you get a cloned one... you are then on your own with regards support, some work others are known to have ‘bricked’ a car.

The cheapest genuine VCDS you can buy now that covers all cars is the HEX-V2 (limited to 3 VINs) @ £225

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html

1 hour ago, Gizmo68 said:

Yes if I had to choose between PA and the RVC then PA would win (for the all round sensor coverage) fortunately I could choose both though.

The RVC now has a washer nozzle to clean the lens, hence why you have to choose the rear wiper as well, I ordered mine before the washer nozzle was fitted so have no rear wiper, given a choice of RVC and wiper or no RVC and wiper I would probable not order the RVC as I think the wiper spoils the rear of the car.

I have HEX-NET VCDS, a cheap eBay cable will not work on the car unless you get a cloned one... you are then on your own with regards support, some work others are known to have ‘bricked’ a car.

The cheapest genuine VCDS you can buy now that covers all cars is the HEX-V2 (limited to 3 VINs) @ £225

https://www.gendan.co.uk/product_VCV23.html

Going to test drive on Tuesday the 150 and they think theres a 190 also I can drive ideally would like to try both

Mrs wants RVC at least so need to have a think and the possibility of removing wiper

most camera blured vision when wet so what clever bugger decided to add a washer ??? must have a mini wiper on it lmao

Thanks for your advice

Edited by kezwald