Yeti never to be bettered

sixer

Well, with the announcement of the Karoq that means that the Yeti might well retain a certain amount of pastiche and value rather than become an increasingly less desirable mark 1 victim of an improved mark 2.

The Land Rover Freelander 2 for example has stayed strong since its demise in late 2014 due to its replacement being named Discovery Sport. 

I don't think they will sell many with the black and white chessboard paint job.

And on a serious note, I wonder if it will be released with the new 1.5tsi engine or we will have to wait for it.

Colin

Edited by eribaMotters

1 minute ago, JED said:

I'm sure the Yeti 1 will become a classic car it's so unique .

.....in the sense you don't/didn't need to read the badge 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JED said:

I'm sure the Yeti 1 will become a classic car it's so unique .

Bit it like the original Toyota RAV4, unique at the time, but unlikely to be a classic like a open top 1960s sport car.  

47 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

Bit it like the original Toyota RAV4, unique at the time, but unlikely to be a classic like a open top 1960s sport car.  

You wouldn't recognise the current RAV4 as being in any way related to the titchie original.

Maybe the T-Roc will appeal to those who don't want a bigger Yeti........even if it looks a bit yuppie 

Usualy when a revised car keeps the same name the previous version suffers a hit on residuals. The facelift Yeti of the same apparent age as the first version clearly has a higher value when looking at secondhand adds.

Be interesting to see what happens to residuals of one of the last made Yeti's like mine, compared to one of the first of the new model in a couple of years time.

I really like the Yeti style and package, hence my ordering a third one after previously never repeating a car when changing. However I had a lot of teething problems with my first realy early one. Personally i would never again buy a new model in its first year or so until any bugs have come to light and been fixed.

• Like 1

I think it is interesting that over it's lifetime annual sales of Yeti's increased every year. It's also interesting how many former owners rushed to but a 'new' old Yeti before it was discontinued - me included. The classic Yeti seemed to tick a lot of boxes for a lot of people and I am not sure if it is just the shape but the Yeti provides a lot of usable interior space and a light bright cabin within compact external dimensions compared with it's competitors in the compact crossover class. Personally I am happy that Skoda have not used the Yeti name for it's new ubiquitous crossover, let's leave the name to the original that broke the mould.

The new Karoq is a much larger car - basically an Ateca clone ( or is the Ateca a Karoq clone??), and now will merge into the mass of look alikes.

• Like 4

I had hoped Skoda should keep the major exterior lines that has made todays Yeti so unique.

Even Mercedes Benz seems to keep the much of the original design for the all new 2019 G-Class.

I'm actually quite glad that they've changed the name for the new car.  A SEAT with a gentle wipe over with the Skoda brand duster is nothing close to being the same animal.  I think it's a real shame that Skoda has chosen - or more likely, been 'persuaded' by its corporate masters) - to move away from its distinctive and original approach to design.

My Mk 1 Yeti is coming up to seven years old now, and there's really nothing on the market that appeals as a replacement.  Guess I'll have to look seriously at one of the run-out Mk 2s, or a decent used example in another year or two.

• Like 1

I've only had mine for about 18 months from new so I consider myself fortunate that I have another 18 months before I need to consider changing.

By then, as much as I like the Yeti, I think I will be ready for something new, particularly with a slightly bigger boot.

Whilst less distinctive I like the look of some of the newer SUVs and doubt I will have any problems with the looks of the Karoq if that is what I decide to go for.

I have bought repeat cars of the same model (Passats) but won't be doing that with a Yeti.

When I come to change the effects of Brexit should be clearer and may have an affect on foreign produced cars which will need to be considered.

On 4/29/2017 at 10:01, kenfowler3966 said:

Personally i would never again buy a new model in its first year or so until any bugs have come to light and been fixed.

Yup, agree with this, I will never now buy a new model, infact the best time to buy any car is near the end of the model cycle where all in production mods have been applied.

Sometimes this is the way to pick up a bargian too if there are any end of model deals.

Good to see that they are offering the 1.5 petrol and hopefully across the whole range unlike with the 1.4 only in the L&K. Hopefully lessons have at last been learned and the 1.5 won't have issues as experienced on some of the previous petrol engines.

I agree that it is good that the Yeti name isn't been carried over to the new model.

Guest FurryFriend
18 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Yup, agree with this, I will never now buy a new model, infact the best time to buy any car is near the end of the model cycle where all in production mods have been applied.

Sometimes this is the way to pick up a bargian too if there are any end of model deals.

Yep..... Agree entirely with this  and exactly why we ordered and took delivery of our Yeti recently. 

It's also the reason we stopped buying Volvos. For years we were more than happy with their tough, well made and highly durable estates. But of course the powers that be ignored the wishes of customers and lost many in the rush to join the Jelly Mould Gang. 

Why don't they listen! Lost sales..... Lost customers. 

Upwardly thrusting marketing types, I suspect, have an entirely different attitude to the Yeti label.

I think it's safe.

Edited by Ryeman

Guest FurryFriend

My own experience  in engineering has always taught me that if you have a product that's selling well, customers like, and it does the job... You keep on selling it. 

On ‎30‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 09:59, ejstubbs said:

I'm actually quite glad that they've changed the name for the new car.  A SEAT with a gentle wipe over with the Skoda brand duster is nothing close to being the same animal.  I think it's a real shame that Skoda has chosen - or more likely, been 'persuaded' by its corporate masters) - to move away from its distinctive and original approach to design.

My Mk 1 Yeti is coming up to seven years old now, and there's really nothing on the market that appeals as a replacement.  Guess I'll have to look seriously at one of the run-out Mk 2s, or a decent used example in another year or two.

Yes I'm in the same boat, ive been looking around to replace my 2012 yeti but I just cant see anything to replace it other a newer yeti.

Sales were not going well though.

According to SKODA last September they 'delivered' 580,000 new Yeti since 2009.

10% of Yeti 'First Registrations' were in the UK.

in 2015 Skoda UK / Dealerships 'First Registered' 13,000 Yeti & in 2016 they bettered that after announcing the demise and doing special low price offers and lease deals and Motability Finance buying quite a few to lease to Motability customers.

so if there are something like 50,000 YETI on the UK the demand might continue for those wanting to buy good examples.

Maybe like Land Rover Defenders people will start looking after them better, refurbishing the older ones and sorting out those with issues.

Time will tell if the depreciation slows right down on the cars now on the roads and the demand for good used YETI increases.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Awayoffski said:

Maybe like Land Rover Defenders people will start looking after them better, refurbishing the older ones and sorting out those with issues.

Time will tell if the depreciation slows right down on the cars now on the roads and the demand for good used YETI increases.

Unfortunately I think the days of DIY vehicle restorations for more recent cars have come to a close.

Whilst body repairs can and will be done by enthusiasts, the amount of modern electronics, and emission equipment which has to be in working order before the car will even start is going to be a huge hurdle to clear in repairing older examples.

Some of the costs are huge as well, eg a DSG rebuild could be £5k and write of an otherwise good car.

I have rebuilt two engines in the past from the pile of new and machined components, one for a mini the other for a capri, but I doubt I could do the same for a modern car.

We have issues at work with electrical component replacement. Sites buillt less than 10 years ago have to be rebuilt rather than repaired as the components are obsolete. We have resorted to opening non serviceable parts so repairs can be carried out to keep them going a little longer, and salvage parts when one site is upgraded to keep other older sites going a bit longer. Cars will be the same and in around 7 years time spares unique to the Yeti will be drying up, and we will be reliant on working salvaged spares until they too are unavailable...

Who said anything about DIY'ers, if there is a demand for used YETI 2009-2017 there will be those with the gear and an idea to keep them going.

Nothing unique about them other than body panels and they are not going to be unavailable any time soon.

Other parts are VW Group Euro 5 or euro 6.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Awayoffski said:

Sales were not going well though.

According to SKODA last September they 'delivered' 580,000 new Yeti since 2009.

10% of Yeti 'First Registrations' were in the UK.

in 2015 Skoda UK / Dealerships 'First Registered' 13,000 Yeti & in 2016 they bettered that after announcing the demise and doing special low price offers and lease deals and Motability Finance buying quite a few to lease to Motability customers.

so if there are something like 50,000 YETI on the UK the demand might continue for those wanting to buy good examples.

Unfortunately the number of folks who want a particular car etc. to continue with little alteration are often users of forums like this and give the impression that ongoing demand for the existing/mildly updated model is stronger than it actually is.  

Whereas the reality, unfortunately for the likes of the Yeti, is that the majority of the car buying public think otherwise. you only have to look at the likes of the Kia Sportage which hasn't been out that long (don't know how many years) and seem to be everywhere, far more than Yetis.

So obviously that's what far more customers want and you can't blame VWG for chasing that. It is a pity though that Skoda haven't been able to continue with a more unique/niche design though when the modern SUV sector is well served by other parts of the VWG. I'm struggling to see why there has to be a SEAT Ateca and Skoda Kodiaq for instance which must be at very similar price points?

Edited by VAGCF