Felicia Fun powerplant conversion,

T735BHP has stood awaiting a replacement gearbox for far too long now, cannot get one for love nor money. truth to tell after 300k running all sorts of power inducing mods the AEE in it is starting to show signs of bore and valve stem wear and was getting a bit numb around the time the gearbox imploded on the A1 on my way home. As it is mint everywhere you look due to my car OCD I cannot bear to part with my fun addiction and am truly lost without my trusty steed despite my stand in daily hack being a cracker of a golf mk3 estate.

I have a very decent mk2 golf 1.8 engine and 5 speed box sat doin nowt I have done a lot of measuring and I reckon it is possible to utilise this using mk1 golf engine mountings fabricate the brackets on the inner wings position and set these utilising the wifes mk1 golf as datum for angles of driveshafts etc. My weakpoint however is the old electrickery, now I have also a frick all mileage golf mk3 2.0 AGG cylinder head and plenum chamber leftover from the build of mk2 Golf GTI project (weekend car) The 60mm throttle body off this is currently on the felicia. My question is a huuuugggeee one, does the ecu fire the injectors from a signal sent from the distributor so theoretically allowing the AGG/ PB vw golf engine hybrid to utilise the stock AEE engine management system? 

Any comments no matter how derogatory will be gratefully recieved. 

@E4EVV If Tango7 is as cherry as you say on body and interior, perhaps you should look for a rough car with a good engine and box, and do a restoration rather than another modified car? I know this isn't what you asked but it's an alternative.

Otherwise, perhaps Dave Walker and the team at Emerald could help?

• 2 weeks later...

Ken,

Many thanks for your sage advice. Appealed to the ever increasing old man in me!

To update you I have managed to source a rough looking 1.6 box, inspected the 5th gear assembly and it hasn,t started to come loose or chatter yet so the plan of action is to split it clean it out, fit new final drive bearings, rebuild utilising locktite on the 5th gear nuts and rebuild with new seals. 

One thing for sure with oil present on my drive the original box is beyond repair for sure. (no fifth gear, worn out selector rod and a loose final drive).

ENGINE

Head skim .010 thou new stems and seals internal polish.  A bloody good hone, new rings, polish the rods (weak point according to Teflon Tom) new little and big ends, oil pump. Metal head gasket if I can get one and maybe autumn time Tango7 will ride again. All other parts on the suspension, steering etc, including the driveshafts are top notch due to my OCD servicing regime and silly motorway mileage accumulation.

Hopefully that will give me another 100k of visiting every power station in the UK with my kit of tools on the back. Also restore the grunt that came with a 60mm throttle body, diesel exhaust VW polo 4 branch manifold and a 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator.  (It would out pull a BMW 316d up "the windy hill" eastbound on the M62!)

@E4EVV - Actually, I skirted the original question partly because any place a VAG 1.8 single cam will go, a 1.8T will physically go too, and there are at least 2 threads on here about 1.8T conversions, and most of the hardware mods for both engines will be the same!

Oh and it sounds like your tuned engine pulled well if it would go like that up Windy Hill!

I am not into the whoosh bang turbo effect, reliable useable power floats my boat. I am old enough and wise enough to know that 18 t bam engine conversion will make the fun not fun and dangerous if driven hard. 

Parts for full gearbox overhaul has turned out to cost me £100 and it is very easy. 

Engine next, with a bit of polish work head skim new bearings guides and rings I reckon I will be knocking on the door of 100 plus hp that will be useable and reliable. 

Was going to fit a 1.4 16v AFH. ECU but in reflection probability not a good idea. 

Who would be good to discuss getting a metal head gasket?