Now about 5 hours into owner ship of my Rapid and the first day has been what can best be described as interesting. Drove away from the dealers very happy with my nice shiny red car (Spaceback 110 TSI SE Sport in Corrida Red) only to find myself rapidly wondering about the ride quality. Quite different to the test drive. Got home and fitted my "Think Bike, Think Biker" sticker in the rear window so the car is now definitely mine! :D

Replaced all the front bulbs with the upgrade bulbs that I'd taken out of the Fiesta. Osram Cool Blue intense for DRL/Main and Dip and some halfords side light bulbs that are much whiter than stock. Skinned a knuckle or 2 doing the Passenger side, especially the dip beam. Then onto fitting the dash cam. Can't use the same wiring method as the Fiesta so ordered a couple of piggy back fuse holders which will allow me to complete the job tomorrow. Also ordered a new phone holder as the steeper windscreen doesn't work well with the existing one. So far so good, well on the way to getting is set up the way I want. Also plugged in my SD card and set the whole Amundsen system up. 

Having done all that I decided to check out that ride quality. Found the reason within about 30 seconds of looking. 3.2 Bar all round! Dropped it to 2.2 Bar and I now feel that it's what I expected. I can only assume a lot of Skoda mechanics are used to working in psi so go for 32 but have pressure gauges set to bar as that's Skoda's standard measurement method (inside the Fuel cap doesn't even mention psi). 

So a couple of minor first day issues but I never had a car yet that I didn't have to spend something on to get it to the way I Want so I'm calling today success and am looking forward to getting some miles on it. :biggrin:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Having done all that I decided to check out that ride quality. Found the reason within about 30 seconds of looking. 3.2 Bar all round! Dropped it to 2.2 Bar and I now feel that it's what I expected. I can only assume a lot of Skoda mechanics are used to working in psi so go for 32 but have pressure gauges set to bar as that's Skoda's standard measurement method (inside the Fuel cap doesn't even mention psi). 

Had exactly the same thing when I picked up my (now former) Rapid.    Had to drive home in light rain, felt as if I was driving on ice.

In summary:   complained (politely but firmly, email to dealer principal, copied to Skoda UK) re road safety, dangerous condition (tyre pressures actually exceeded max pressure stated on tyre sidewalls), etc.;   explanation was that car had been in showroom and this was "showroom pressure" (understand that this is common practice) and that pressures had not been re-set prior to hand-over;   fulsome apologies made and offered/accepted free 3 year servicing contract as compensation.    Honours even...

23 hours ago, dazedandconfused said:

Now about 5 hours into owner ship of my Rapid and the first day has been what can best be described as interesting. Drove away from the dealers very happy with my nice shiny red car (Spaceback 110 TSI SE Sport in Corrida Red) only to find myself rapidly wondering about the ride quality. Quite different to the test drive. Got home and fitted my "Think Bike, Think Biker" sticker in the rear window so the car is now definitely mine! :D

Replaced all the front bulbs with the upgrade bulbs that I'd taken out of the Fiesta. Osram Cool Blue intense for DRL/Main and Dip and some halfords side light bulbs that are much whiter than stock. Skinned a knuckle or 2 doing the Passenger side, especially the dip beam. Then onto fitting the dash cam. Can't use the same wiring method as the Fiesta so ordered a couple of piggy back fuse holders which will allow me to complete the job tomorrow. Also ordered a new phone holder as the steeper windscreen doesn't work well with the existing one. So far so good, well on the way to getting is set up the way I want. Also plugged in my SD card and set the whole Amundsen system up. 

So a couple of minor first day issues but I never had a car yet that I didn't have to spend something on to get it to the way I Want so I'm calling today success and am looking forward to getting some miles on it. :biggrin:

I see you are in Preston.

I collected my Toledo from the dealer in Preston. On the journey back the ride was very harsh, first thoughts were, check tyre pressures. Yes they were around 38 psi.

What are PDI checks for I ask myself.

Enjoy the new car, looks good in the red.

15 hours ago, camelspyyder said:

Why are they dropping Corrida Red? (according to another thread) It's perfect for the Spaceback with Pano roof.

What a shame. It's the best plain colour they do for the Spaceback like mine. That would then mean paying an extra £360 to get a metallic colour. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now had the car for 13 days and it's now got 720 miles on it. Loving it so far. Much nicer and more relaxing to drive than my Fiesta was. Another good test will come later this month when I'll be driving to Edinburgh and back. So far seem to be averaging about 42.8mpg so fairly happy with that on a new engine although it will be nice if it goes up a little more. Even if it doesn't it's within 0.5mpg of my Fiesta. 

Forgot to mention as well, the only one the right colour the Dealer could get in time just happened to have a proper spare wheel so that was a bonus. :biggrin:

Edited by dazedandconfused

On 2017-5-1 at 08:02, dazedandconfused said:

What a shame. It's the best plain colour they do for the Spaceback like mine. That would then mean paying an extra £360 to get a metallic colour. 

2018 MY rapid on skoda uk website in red !

Screenshot_20170227-002613.png

• Like 1

Totally agree. If I want to buy a triple in my retirement, it's going to have 2 less wheels than a Rapid. 

3 cylinder cars are rarely refined at all (I keep thinking back to a mates dad who had a Wartburg Tourist).

Edited by camelspyyder

1 hour ago, camelspyyder said:

Totally agree. If I want to buy a triple in my retirement, it's going to have 2 less wheels than a Rapid. 

3 cylinder cars are rarely refined at all (I keep thinking back to a mates dad who had a Wartburg Tourist).

Good call. I'd be tempted by that kind of triple as well. :biggrin:

On 13/5/2017 at 20:31, camelspyyder said:

That is a just so wrong, probably a misconception due to experiences with (way) older 3 cylinder engines. Practically all new 3 cylinder petrol engines (e.g. Ford 1.0T, PSA 1.2T, VAG 1.0T, BMW-Mini) are as refined as any 4 cylinder petrol engine and at the same time better sounding and more gutsy - free revving than their usual 4 cylinder counterparts. Just test drive anyone...

The same doesn't apply to the 3 cylinder diesels, especially the new VAG 1.4 TDi which is inferior in every way (except consumption) to the older 1.6 TDi.

On the other hand, the BMW-Mini 3 cylinder diesel 1.5T is a dream. Great sound, gutsy, eager to rev (for a diesel) it almost transforms the Mini to a small GTi.

Edited by harisma23

7 hours ago, harisma23 said:

That is a just so wrong, probably a misconception due to experiences with (way) older 3 cylinder engines. Practically all new 3 cylinder petrol engines (e.g. Ford 1.0T, PSA 1.2T, VAG 1.0T, BMW-Mini) are as refined as any 4 cylinder petrol engine and at the same time better sounding and more gutsy - free revving than their usual 4 cylinder counterparts. Just test drive anyone...

The same doesn't apply to the 3 cylinder diesels, especially the new VAG 1.4 TDi which is inferior in every way (except consumption) to the older 1.6 TDi.

On the other hand, the BMW-Mini 3 cylinder diesel 1.5T is a dream. Great sound, gutsy, eager to rev (for a diesel) it almost transforms the Mini to a small GTi.

As I traded in a Ford 1.0T 3 cylinder for the Rapid I can categorically tell you from personal experience that as far as the Ford 1.0T goes it is correct. The 1.2TSI in the Rapid is smoother, more refined and quieter than the Ford (it's quicker as well). It's also been my experience that other 3 cyl engines I've driven in the last 5 years (all brand new cars) were like the Ford. Each of us obviously has our own personal preferences. :biggrin:

^^^^^ What he said.

I've driven current 3's from VW, Ford, Hyundai and Suzuki and they all sound tinny at low revs and harsh if you give them the boot.

The Asian ones particularly reminded me of the Wartburg.

None sound as good as a Mark 1 Charade I used to knock about in nearly 40 years back. That growled and actually sounded like a tiny BMW 6 cylinder.

• 4 weeks later...
On 15/05/2017 at 18:33, camelspyyder said:

^^^^^ What he said.

I've driven current 3's from VW, Ford, Hyundai and Suzuki and they all sound tinny at low revs and harsh if you give them the boot.

The Asian ones particularly reminded me of the Wartburg.

None sound as good as a Mark 1 Charade I used to knock about in nearly 40 years back. That growled and actually sounded like a tiny BMW 6 cylinder.

Daihatsu Charade.......what a great sounding engine. I loved mine too.