Dash Cam in the Yeti

Good afternoon Robjon.

Running the cable as you described is definitely NOT recommended on a Yeti as if you crossed the wire from the screen and across the top of the "A" pillar to get to that door seal, you have compromised the Front Curtain Airbag.

The Airbag is located behind the pillar trim and extends about halfway down! If you have run the wiring as stated above. Then if the Airbag is deployed for any reason. The cable will either obstruct it's operation or cause the camera to be ripped from the screen and very likely be projected into the drivers face, and possibly both.

Removing the "A" pillar trim is very easy and enables a much safer installation............Hope this helps............Tony

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Robjon said:

Sorry, not a direct answer to your question...

But I tucked the cable on mine behind the rubber door seal, which I found safer, simpler, and just as invisible.

Just be aware that there is an air bag behind that cover 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valep said:

Has anybody taken off the A pillar cover to put the cable down inside it if so is it easy to remove

I have had mine on and off several times to hide the aerial that my sat nav used for traffic information. No real problem, just lever gently until the spring clip gives way. You may have to refit the clips into the slots before refitting though as sometimes they stay with the car and not the trim.

Some have been concerned about the side airbag going off, but I don't see why it should.

• Like 1

This image is from Yet_man's tech tip on cleaning out the sunroof drains. It shows what is behind the passanger A trim. (The drivers side is very similar). You can see the air bag, and existing wiring. I attached my dashcam power cable to the existing cabling to completely avoid the airbag.

Because of the new restrictions with Photobucket, I have had to just paste a link to the photo...

Yetiman's post here: 

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294146-leaking-panoramic-sunroof-have-a-look-here/

Image here:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/FocusZtec/media/cGF0aDovSU1HXzkzODJfenBzZGEyMjJkODQuanBn/?ref=

Jim

Edited by muddyjim
  • Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 14:25, muddyjim said:

This image is from Yet_man's tech tip on cleaning out the sunroof drains. It shows what is behind the passanger A trim. (The drivers side is very similar). You can see the air bag, and existing wiring. I attached my dashcam power cable to the existing cabling to completely avoid the airbag.

Because of the new restrictions with Photobucket, I have had to just paste a link to the photo...

Yetiman's post here: 

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/294146-leaking-panoramic-sunroof-have-a-look-here/

Image here:

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/FocusZtec/media/cGF0aDovSU1HXzkzODJfenBzZGEyMjJkODQuanBn/?ref=

Jim

I found this when I did a search as I new YETI_MAN had done is sunroof drains but I got Please update your account to enable 3rd party hosting so could not see the file but thanks for the information and also KENFOWLER3966

On 5/3/2017 at 21:48, Robjon said:

It's very straightforward. 

As Urrell has suggested, piggyback the rear wiper fuse for the switched live.

Nearby, you will find a bolt that can be utilised to provide earth.

Run the dashcam supply wire behind the rubber door seal up to the headlining.

Then run the wire behind the headlining across to the dashcam.

Mine is a BlackVue DR380G-HD, which fits behind the rear view mirror and cannot be seen from the driver's seat.

I have not fitted a camera to the rear window, but I believe a switched live can be taken from the rear wiper motor.

I have the Blackvue DR650G-HD with is 1080p on the front camera and 720p on the read camera.

I have mine hard wired in with the optional unit that disconnects the power to the cameras if the battery voltage drops beyond a certain point.

The rear camera as a single lead that carries power and video into the main front cam for it to be stored on a 64GB memory card.

The card needs to be formatted every couple of weeks to keep it running well.

The colour balance is not good on the read camera and appears a bit on the 'blueish' side and Pittasoft (who make the Blackvue units) has in my opinion a lame customer service attitude and were not very interested in the issues I had some years back.

When we get our Kodiaq next year I will NOT be installing a Blackvue system. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/08/2017 at 11:43, valep said:

Has anybody taken off the A pillar cover to put the cable down inside it if so is it easy to remove

I removed the A pillar cover and ran the cable up as close to the windscreen as I could using a strip of double sided tape to hold it in place (well away from the airbag). And the nextbase adapter and excess cable was dropped into the void behind the dashboard at the bottom of the a pillar

Re Blackvue cameras, I fitted a DR650S-2CH in TIBET III a few months ago and so far, it has performed faultlessly. I too have the Pwer magic PRO battery monitor for parking use.

Camera quality (front and back) is excellent - certainly more than adequate for the job they're needed for.

I'm using a Transcend 32 GB 'High Endurance' microSD card. I have heard that sometimes, some cards can cause issues.

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/05/2017 at 20:38, Graham1941 said:

Has anyone installed a dash cam in their Yeti?  I am going to get one which one I am yet to decide any recommendations welcome.  One or two cameras, hard wired or cigar socket?  I think I would prefer hard wired but where would I pick up the 12v supply?

Yes hard wired mine In using a piggy back fuse Its a bit of a tight squeeze to get the fuse box cover back on, theres a small gap as the top edge of the piggy back fuse does not fit far enough down to allow the cover to seat properly.Has anyone else had this problem I used a complete hard wire kit for nextbase dash cams from Halfords.Maybe there are piggy back fuse holders out there that do not protrude quiet so far that would solve this problem.

1 hour ago, ywyetinym said:

Yes hard wired mine In using a piggy back fuse Its a bit of a tight squeeze to get the fuse box cover back on, theres a small gap as the top edge of the piggy back fuse does not fit far enough down to allow the cover to seat properly.Has anyone else had this problem I used a complete hard wire kit for nextbase dash cams from Halfords.Maybe there are piggy back fuse holders out there that do not protrude quiet so far that would solve this problem.

Yes had exactly the same problem with the Nextbase piggy back fuse holder. Basically the fuse cover will close sufficiently to stay closed once the door rubber is back in place.

On 14/09/2017 at 21:10, TeeDeeEye said:

Yes had exactly the same problem with the Nextbase piggy back fuse holder. Basically the fuse cover will close sufficiently to stay closed once the door rubber is back in place.

I would like to get a replacement piggy back holder that does sit lower and does not provide such a tight fit If such a thing exists, apparently Halfords only fit there hardwire kits to certain cars, not sure if the Yeti Is on the list or not.

10 hours ago, ywyetinym said:

I would like to get a replacement piggy back holder that does sit lower and does not provide such a tight fit If such a thing exists, apparently Halfords only fit there hardwire kits to certain cars, not sure if the Yeti Is on the list or not.

I have one of these which came with a mini fuse piggyback rather than full size. I am using fuse 21 which appears to be ignition live. No issue with space. If anyone knows of any issue with this fuse please do let me know!

Manual says :

Variable Service Interval - WIV, reversing lamps, dimmable mirrors, pressure sensor, telephone preparation, air mass meter, headlamp levelling and swivelling headlights

DriveSmart 5v DC 2 Amps Mini USB Hardwire Cable For Dash Cameras Sat Navs CE Tested - Nextbase Compatible 512G, 402G, 412GW, 312GW, 302G, 212, 202, 101, 112 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071J36Q6Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_IRnVzbF815B6B

Edited by anlygi

• 1 month later...

Have used the following to purchase a 312GW,      30% off = £69.99 

Visit:  www.nextbase.co.uk/offer

Click on buy now

Go down page to Dashcams

Choose product from 'Dashcam range' and click on buy

Go to basket

Enter code CCT30 for discount

Hope this is good for someone