Dash Cam in the Yeti

Has anyone installed a dash cam in their Yeti?  I am going to get one which one I am yet to decide any recommendations welcome.  One or two cameras, hard wired or cigar socket?  I think I would prefer hard wired but where would I pick up the 12v supply?

It's very straightforward. 

As Urrell has suggested, piggyback the rear wiper fuse for the switched live.

Nearby, you will find a bolt that can be utilised to provide earth.

Run the dashcam supply wire behind the rubber door seal up to the headlining.

Then run the wire behind the headlining across to the dashcam.

Mine is a BlackVue DR380G-HD, which fits behind the rear view mirror and cannot be seen from the driver's seat.

I have not fitted a camera to the rear window, but I believe a switched live can be taken from the rear wiper motor.

As above, but I have a RoadHawk Vision.  How it mounts relative to the mirror may depend on which mirror you have; I have the higher-mounted one with auto lights and wipers and the camera is perfectly hidden from the driver's perspective.

11 hours ago, Graham1941 said:

One or two cameras, hard wired or cigar socket?  I think I would prefer hard wired but where would I pick up the 12v supply?

I've been using a cheap chinese cam for the last 4 years or so, which had a separate rear lens, so recorded both front & rear footage on the same memory card.

It's finally bitten the dust (can't complain for £40) and I've now bought 2 x Viofo A119S cameras - haven't fitted them yet though.

I prefer cameras without GPS; the A119S can be had with or without.

The techmoan site is really good for dashcam reviews.

He's done a beginners guide here: http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

...and thoughts on the best dashcams: http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/

• Like 1

Just done mine using a Nexbase 312Gw took about 30 mins. Next base is a very good dash cam with a great mount and hard wire kit to piggy back in the fuse box. I've fitted in a few different cars and the yeti is the easiest because the fuse box is so close. Mount as stated in the other replies. If you don't fancy doing it yourself Halfords will fit it cheaply while you wait.

11 hours ago, TeeDeeEye said:

Just done mine using a Nexbase 312Gw took about 30 mins. Next base is a very good dash cam with a great mount and hard wire kit to piggy back in the fuse box. I've fitted in a few different cars and the yeti is the easiest because the fuse box is so close. Mount as stated in the other replies. If you don't fancy doing it yourself Halfords will fit it cheaply while you wait.

Which fuse board do you use the one in the dash or the engine compartment?

11 hours ago, muddyboots said:

I've been using a cheap chinese cam for the last 4 years or so, which had a separate rear lens, so recorded both front & rear footage on the same memory card.

It's finally bitten the dust (can't complain for £40) and I've now bought 2 x Viofo A119S cameras - haven't fitted them yet though.

I prefer cameras without GPS; the A119S can be had with or without.

The techmoan site is really good for dashcam reviews.

He's done a beginners guide here: http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

...and thoughts on the best dashcams: http://www.techmoan.com/what-is-the-best-dashcam/

Many thanks great info and reviews

Guest FurryFriend

We've got a Transcend Drivepro 220 at the front, and a Cobra at the rear. Both direct to the 12v sockets. Both give excellent replay results and are easily removed. 

I had wanted to hard wire these into the Yeti, but it might have caused us some warranty issues, so for the time being,  we'll leave the vehicle wiring well alone. I'm more than capable of wiring both in, as described, but I'm not 'qualified' to do so.... therein lies the problem. 

Current system includes a Cheetah Speed Camera detector, reviewed elsewhere, because the Amundsen sat nav has nothing in this respect. 

We have the Cheetah on a magnetic mount on the  central dash storage box, and the Transcend next to it on its own stuck on screen mount. Both units can be removed and put back in seconds. 

Wouldn't be without either. 

34 minutes ago, Graham1941 said:

Which fuse board do you use the one in the dash or the engine compartment?

The one in the dash.

See Urrell's excellent diagram of the fuse board layout in this thread:

3 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

We've got a Transcend Drivepro 220 at the front, and a Cobra at the rear. Both direct to the 12v sockets. Both give excellent replay results and are easily removed. 

I had wanted to hard wire these into the Yeti, but it might have caused us some warranty issues, so for the time being,  we'll leave the vehicle wiring well alone. I'm more than capable of wiring both in, as described, but I'm not 'qualified' to do so.... therein lies the problem. 

Current system includes a Cheetah Speed Camera detector, reviewed elsewhere, because the Amundsen sat nav has nothing in this respect. 

We have the Cheetah on a magnetic mount on the  central dash storage box, and the Transcend next to it on its own stuck on screen mount. Both units can be removed and put back in seconds. 

Wouldn't be without either. 

I like the sound of 'easily removed' I have a motorhome and it would be an advantage to 'share' a cam with it.

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:12, Urrell said:

Most would use a piggyback fuse on the ignition switched live for the rear wiper in the fuse box.

Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly do you mean by piggyback?

28 minutes ago, Graham1941 said:

Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly do you mean by piggyback?

Ok I've found them on Amazon its just a double socket that fits in a single fuse (rear wiper socket) to provide another fuse for the dash cam.

What do you think of this Dash Cam Its seems cheap including an sd card for under £30.  All the specs seem relatively the same but wide price variations.

Edited by Guest

59 minutes ago, Graham1941 said:

What do you think of this Dash Cam Its seems cheap including an sd card for under £30.  All the specs seem relatively the same but wide price variations.

It's a cheapy chinese jobby, which means it may not have anywhere near the video quality / specs it says it has.

You often see very similar looking cameras knocked out by different Chinese companies, but they can vary in terms of what processor they use, what firmware they've got, etc etc.

Might be worth a punt at that price, I'd just say "manage your expectations" - could be a heap of **** or could work OK (like the one I'd been using for last 4 years :) ).

Guest FurryFriend

Buy a decent unit is my advice. We too had Ebay cheapies for a while, but the difference in replay recording quality between those and our current model is a no contest. 

If you DO need to get the footage, say for an insurance claim, you want the best you can get.

4 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

Buy a decent unit is my advice. We too had Ebay cheapies for a while, but the difference in replay recording quality between those and our current model is a no contest. 

If you DO need to get the footage, say for an insurance claim, you want the best you can get.

Thanks, I'm finding it a bit difficult distinguishing between the quality  specs, does higher price mean higher spec?

Guest FurryFriend

Not always. Read reviews and decide what it is you want from your unit/s. 

halfords online have the blackvue 650 at a big discount at the moment if thats any use? 

ps i dont have one as yet but was looking around today and found the deal. was £229 full price on offer at £183 still a bit expensive. some good reviews of dash cams on youtube and this was a popular choice. 

http://www.halfords.com/technology/dash-cams/dash-cams/blackvue-dr650s-1ch-dash-cam

Edited by harcourt81

5 hours ago, *murph* said:

Really good info thanks very much.  I still fancy the cheapo its 1080p and got all the things the expensive ones have, and good reviews.

13 minutes ago, Graham1941 said:

Really good info thanks very much.  I still fancy the cheapo its 1080p and got all the things the expensive ones have, and good reviews.

Well I've ordered the ZOTO I had a £30 gift card for Amazon so its cost me zilch.  I will test it from the lighter socket first and if happy hard wire it with the kits suggested above.  If I'm not happy I will use it for the rear camera and buy a better one for the front.

Thanks for the suggestions most helpful.

Mobius has worked very well for me. Tried and tested by plenty on here, and comes in at £70-80 Inc the fitting bits needed. 

Can't see the justification in spending the likes of £180 on something similar.