DAB radio upgrade

Hello everyone. I'm getting really fed up with my basic Skoda CD headunit that came with my Fabby, so I would like to upgrade to a OEM-looking DAB radio (for a decent price, of course!) How hard is it to install one? (With the aerial...) 

Many thanks in advance ;)

• 2 weeks later...

It is really easy to remove the head unit, you need to pop down to Halfords and pick up some parts. You will need a blanking plate conversion kit and the cable adapter along with a cheap DAB radio and the right keys for removing the old CD head unit. You may need an aerial adapter if you plan to use the stock aerial for analogue reception.

You have a choice of three aerials you can use.

1. Replace the roof aerial - You will need to remove plastic pillars and door liners to get the cables through. You will also need a 23mm socket to remove the bolt. The end result is an invisible DAB aerial and the best signal.
  2. Use a windscreen aerial - You need to remove a plastic pillar and route the cables through.
  3. Use a magnetic aerial - There is less work, but also potentially weaker reception

The following video shows how to remove and install a roof aerial in a Mk4 Golf, which is very similar to a Fabia.

This video shows how to install the windscreen aerial in case you want to do that instead, its pretty similar to the Fabia except you may need to remove all the screws on the passenger side of the dashboard to drop the glove compartment down to run the wires round the back.

Use the keys to prise out the old radio and insert the metal plate inside the cavity that will secure your new head unit in place. You will need to push the locking parts out once installed to prevent theives from stealing the new head unit.

Fit the blanking plate adapter and the cable adapter so that the radio works properly.

Use the blue wire as your power source for the aerial, this will ensure the DAB aerial receives necessary power.

Plug in the cables and the aerial cable into the respective plugs and push the head unit home, making sure no wires are trapped on the installation.

• Like 3

Sorry to double post, but I've just found an understated DAB radio (for a good price) that I like the look of:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pure-H260DBI-DAB-Stereo-CD-Player-With-iPhone-Control-Bluetooth-/112418342837?hash=item1a2ca7c7b5:g:tSUAAOSwq1JZJZsD

Has anyone else put one of these in their Fabia? Many thanks :)

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, this radio will fit in your car but you will need the conversion kit and the cable adapter kit because:

1. The plastic front on the new radio will be smaller than the stock radio
  2. The wiring from the car is not standard, you need the cable adapter to rewire the cables to work your radio, or you may find the radio powers down and forgets any presets you make without it.

Having a set of keys for ejecting the old radio, I think you need the Kenwood ones. These slide in the holes until you hear a click then you can pull the stock radio out.

Hi There

Got one for sale. Kenwood KDC-BT73 DAB. It's currently working in my Fabia but I'm selling it as I'm getting a Yeti in 2 weeks. Dead easy to fit and I use a windscreen mounted aerial that came with it. Had hardly any drop outs

Chip

IMG_20170613_164453.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-6-13 at 17:25, ChipUK said:

Hi There

Got one for sale. Kenwood KDC-BT73 DAB. It's currently working in my Fabia but I'm selling it as I'm getting a Yeti in 2 weeks. Dead easy to fit and I use a windscreen mounted aerial that came with it. Had hardly any drop outs

Chip

IMG_20170613_164453.jpg

Sorry Chip, I've only just seen your post. What sort of price are you looking for it? I'm tempted to buy a refurbished Pure Dab for £60 off ebay, but if yours is in good nick........will it come with all the surround, wiring and aerial etc? Many thanks :-)

13 hours ago, ChipUK said:

Sorry it's sold

Not to worry, Chip. Thanks for the offer and sorry for the slow uptake!

I wonder if it would be worth changing my aerial first (as I'm getting interference from everything inside the car) where's the best place to pick a new one up? I've had a look on ebay, but they all seem to be cheap knock-offs.......

When changing the aerial, is it worth sealing around the rubber grommet, so as not to get water into the car? And should you scuff up the roof where the mounting nut bites into the roof on the inside?

Thanks ;)

• 1 month later...

DAB aerials require power to work properly. You typically have a ground connection (windscreen aerials use the frame of the car for this) and another wire that requires connection to the positive somewhere.

Most radios have a blue wire that is used to power an electric aerial, so that an aerial can be extended to listen to the radio and retracted when the radio is turned off. This wire is ideal for powering the DAB aerial.

• 1 month later...

Dont bother with a windscreen aerial they are total ****, i fitted one of these and its brilliant, full dab and fm signal anywhere. the connections were correct out of the box for my Pioneer headunit so would imagine pure would be about the same

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Roof-Antenna-AM-DAB/dp/B00LFHUWLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1504213413&sr=8-1&keywords=hama+dab+aerial

does take a bit of fitting though you have to remove the passenger side plastics to run the cable to the head unit. Well worth it imo.

base looks just like oem and aerial is slightly shorter so gives it a more modern look

as for the faceplate, anything off ebay

Edited by clarendon462
  • Thanks 1

Not that hard really just drop the headlining and unclip the trim to run the cables. It will be watertight if you tighten up the nut fully. A windscreen dab aerial you might as well not bother unless you live in a perfect reception area and never drive out of it. At least get someone to fit one for you if you dont feel up to it

I have fitted a kenwood DAB radio to my VRS and one to a mini both using a kenwood windscreen aerial and they both get great reception, far superior to the original FM radio reception.

I am in a rural location in the south and not had any issues with reception, been all over the place in the VRS without any issues, only place I lost radio was in the Scottish highlands but that's to be expected (lovely place though).  

• Thanks 1

My pioneer supplied windscreen aerial was rubbish drove from Wiltshire to east Kent and signal was dropping out the whole way even around London where you'd expect half decent reception. Switching to the roof aerial was like night and day difference best thing I've bought for the car 

Edited by clarendon462
  • Thanks 1

I'm so conflicted! So is it down to the fact that windscreen aerials aren't all pants, it just depends on which one you pick? Will anyone fit my Pure head unit? 

And is there a knack to fitting a windscreen aerial? Do you have to grind some of the paint off the A pillar etc? 

With the Kenwood DAB windscreen aerial there is no need to grind the paint off A pillar, you just need to take your time and keep everything clean and make sure it all aligns properly.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, duck said:

With the Kenwood DAB windscreen aerial there is no need to grind the paint off A pillar, you just need to take your time and keep everything clean and make sure it all aligns properly.

Thanks Duck. Would the Kenwood DAB radio fit my new Pure headunit? Or is a Kenwood only item? 

As far as I know the DAB aerial connectors are all similar design so I guess it would work with your head unit. 

You can pick up the Kenwood DAB-A1 aerial for around £12 so not much to lose if you don't like the reception or it does not fit your headunit.

Thanks Duck. Sadly, it looks like the aerial that you posted about won't fit my new headunit. Maplin list it as 'Kenwood only' 

Here's the connection that mine has (SMB) Any suggestions on a good aerial? And can anyone make sense of the guff in the Pure manual? 

Edited by GeneralDogsbody

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to double post - could any of you lovely people give me the thumbs up on the items I listed above, and if they would indeed fit my car/do the right job/s? Many thanks. 

Also, I took a picture of the wiring coming out the back of my standard headunit - which blue wire do you splice the power into from the windscreen antenna? (Sorry for the duff picture) 

DSC_0549.JPG